My selection

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C

carbomedic

Hello to all!
I am an individual who is 2.5 weeks past a aortic valve replacement. I chose a mechanical valve mainly due to my age, (50). It is possible I would need to have 3 more surgeries in my life if I chose another option. The Coumadin issue has bothered me alot, and still does. Because I'm new, my testing has been frequent, but still scares me.
My valve installed was a Carbomedic TopHat. judging from some enteries I have read here already, maybe my fears are amplified by my inexperiance.

Hi and welcome to the board!

I had mitral valve repair one year ago. I had opted to have a mechanical if the repair was impossible.... I think that you made the right choice. :)

You will find many answers here to any question you may have concerning your valve, INR, etc.

Take care,
Zazzy

Hi Carbo,

I like the name! Welcome to the site. There is already lots of information here for you to read, and I think you will find your fears disapating after gaining more knowledge.

Please ask as many questions as you have, we will sure try to help answer them for you.

Looking forward to your posts,

Rob

Hi Carbomedic-

Welcome to this wonderful site. You've already got lots of friends who understand your situation very well.

My husband has been on Coumadin for 25 years. It couldn't be more simple. He goes and gets tested, then takes what they say to take, then forgets it , sort of like brushing his teeth. He's never had a major incident relating to Coumadin and it's given him fewer problems than almost any other medication that he takes.

You'll be fine. It just takes a little getting used to and initially there might be frequent adjustments in dosage, but all will work out.

Take care, and hope to see you here often.

hi carbomedic!
welcome to this wonderful place where everyone is helpful, kind and supportive.
although my husband, joey, opted not to take coumadin, from what i understand, coumadin takers (my dad is one) don't seem to mind it as much. i guess you can get used to anything, right?
i'm glad to hear you are having a smooth recovery. hope it continues.
keep in touch and be well,
sylvia

Hi Carbo!

Welcome! Consider yourselves amongst friends.
Coumadin CAN be a problem and CAN be scary! It was for me until I fired my doctor and found another one who was more supportive and not such a jerk. I was a nervous wreck every week. I have been stable since last July 2001.
After 6 months of being on Coumadin and running to the clinic up to three times a week, I bought myself a Protime Home Tester. QAS, ad on this web page) Insurance refused to pay. All it takes now is a little stick in the finger and a few minutes of your time. That's it! I test once every two weeks, and call the results in to my doctor and wait for him to call back with any dosage change, but that hasn't happen in a very long time. Changing dosages all the time will never get you stable.
You will have to watch your meds & OTC meds plus your daily intake of vitamin K. Many things interfere with Coumadin. But for the rest you can eat whatever you want. I do, and don't omit the green vegies. But I do eat them in moderation.

Hope you come back often.

Christina
Congenital Aortic Stenosis
AVR's 8/7/00 & 8/18/00
St.Jude's Mechanical

I can relate

I can relate

Hello Carbo

I completely relate to your trepidations about your valve choice. I have yet to have my surgery (meet my surgeon this week, finally) and am slightly younger at 43. I will in all likelihood only be offered a mechanical due to other health history, but I really think I would opt for mechanical anyway. The thought of reoperation is far less appealing for me than any of the Coumadin "issues" or the potential clicking sounds.

I have really found that this site has given me more peace of mind and real facts about my condition (aortic stenosis) than any other book reading or internet surfing. I think I would be a real emotional wreck without the acceptance and feedback I have found here.

Look around the site...from my point of view nearly everything you need is here.

--Johnny

Carbomedic

Carbomedic

I am glad to hear that you are doing well with your valve. I wish you all the best and that it lasts more than a lifetime! I am slated for my second surgery and I am 90% sure I will go with the Carbomedic valve. I had an aortic valve repair at age 25 and the repair gradually came undone (9 1/2 years post op). The repair was done by Dr. Cosgrove at The Cleveland Clinic. I have sought advice from many surgeons and cardiologists and the consensus is that for me (reoperation) it is likely a better choice. There are strong arguments for a homograft or a Mosaic valve as well and it is truly a matter of preference. The right decision is my decision and whatever happens will still mean I made the right decision (even if something untoward happens to me!). I have done my homework and there is nothing else I can do. The bottom line is one has to actually make a decision as it isn't fantasy land. It is reality. Anyway, drop me a line and let me know how you are feeling and I have high hopes for anybody that has faced and is facing heart surgery. Looks like I'm going in on April 16th so I hope I can be in your shoes soon!

Best Wishes,

Gregory Golden
Boca Raton, FL

Hi Carbo,

Welcome to our wonderful site! This can be your home for answers for sure! There is always someone here that can answer your questions and plenty of research that has been done by many members.
I didn't find this great site until about six weeks after surgery. It's been a Godsend. I too was very nervous in the beginning taking Coumadin. I've been on it a year and I've had a lot of support from other members as I've gone through my ups and downs with INR readings. My cardio has finally put me on a regular 7.5mg a day dose which seems to work best for me. It onlly took him ten months to come to that conclusion!:) I only get low readings now if my doctor puts me on antibiotics, which will effect my blood.
I see you live in SE Wi. Any chance of you joining Perry, Gina and I in Wheeling next Thursday for our mini reunion at Jimmys Charbroil? We'd love to have you join us if it's not too far away for you. If not, we do have our Vegas reunion set for Oct 9th through the 13th I believe!
Take care and God Bless!

I had a St. Jude valve installed 15 months ago at age 47. It was a no-brainer as far as I was concerned - no way I wanted to get a tissue valve replaced ever 7-10 years.
The Coumadin has been a non-issue as far as I'm concerned. I lead a very active lifestyle and it hasn't been a problem at all. After my one year checkup my cardiologist cut me back to PT/INR testing every 6-8 weeks.

Hi Mark U

Hi Mark U

Dear Mark,

It is nice to hear from some other St. Jude folks out there. I think those in the tissue (valve) camp need to hear positive stories as do those in the mechanical (valve) camp. Good news for any valve surgery is the main issue! I am 34 and live in Boca Raton, Florida. I am facing my second aortic valve surgery on 4/16/02. I had an aortic valve repair in 1992 and now I need a replacement. I have chosen a mechanical valve as this is my second surgery. I'd like to know more about your story and would enjoy talking with you. My e-mail address [email protected]

Truly,

Greg

Hey Greggo, looks like you and I will be "climbing the mountain" on the same day! I'm also slated for surgery to implant a St. Jude's on 4/16. Good luck to you..

Good luck to you to

Good luck to you to

Johnny-

I wish you all the best for the 16th. I hope that both of us kick some butt!

Greg

CONSISTENCY, CONSISTENCY, CONSISTENCY.

CONSISTENCY, CONSISTENCY, CONSISTENCY.

Hello Carbo,

I gotta tell ya, as much as I hate the stuff (coumadin) .... it?s not all that bad once you get the hang of it. It?s taken me a full two years to be able to say that. I think most people get a grip on it much quicker.

It?s all about consistency, consistency, consistency. I hate that word!! lol Just totally hate it!

I still do everything I did before I started taking it... just much more carefully. :) Including being a vegetarian.

Consistently,
Rain

Hi Carbo,

I agree with Lorraine. Coumadin is overrated. It really is not as terrible as some people make it out to be. But I must admit though I too was scared for quite a while. Not anymore though! I think I know my stuff after 18 months, and like I posted last week when I was on vacation, I had an INR of 6.1 one day and I KNEW WHY. Was I going to call those numbers in to the doctors office? No way! He would have had me stay off the Coumadin for 48 hours, and there was no way I would have agreed to that. All it took was a good load of greens and I was back to almost normal the next day. When I got home Sunday I tested 3.5 on Monday.
It is all about Consistensy, and when you don't do that, your INR will shoot up like mine. Thank God it didn't go higher. I do pretty much what I want, just live a little more careful and don't go overboard with the green vegies and alcohol.

Christina
Congenital Aortic Stenosis
AVR's 8/7/00 & 8/18/00
St.Jude's Mechanical

Hi Carbo!!!

Hi Carbo!!!

I am writing for my wife (Joann). She has had 2 mechanical valves for over 30 years. (May be the longest living person on coumadin in North America). Her original mechanical valves were replaced at Cleveland Clinic in 1998. She has 2 Carbomedics-Aortic and Mitral. Once you have mechanicals, it is a lifetime decision. There is no reversal since the heart is restructured to accept the mechanical. She required a patch to allow the new mechanicals to fit.

Coumadin has not been a problem--just a pain in the arm! She currently uses a coumadin clinic that uses the new testing devises. We have traveled extensively during the past 15 months. The winter was in SW Florida. The testing can be done while we travel without major problems. The new valves are very quiet and come with an implied lifetime guarantee! Ha, Ha!

Each patient needs to make the decision that is best for their lifestyle, etc.

Best wishes!!

John & Joann in Western Ohio

Latest posts

Back