My second valve replacement

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rosel

Hello. I am a former member but have not posted for a long time. I am interested I knowing if anyone has had a second aorta valve replacement. My first one was in 2005, it is a bovine., and I assume the new one will be as well. I am going thru testing, do not remember having so many tests the first time!!! I a, of eligible for TAVR because of the pleacment of my aorta valve, so it will be open heart surgery. I would like to hear from anyone who has been thru the second one. Thank so much!!!

Hi Rosel and welcome back.

There are several here who have been through 2+ procedures, so I am sure you will get some feedback.

I meant to say that I am not eligible for TAVR.

Thank you for sharing this. Many have received tissue valves assuming that the next procedure can be a TAVR. What seems to be often glossed over is that not all are eligible for TAVR.

Even though I was not leaning towards a TAVR, my cardiologist suggested that my native valve be evaluated to see if I was eligible, just so that I could have all the available choices before me when it came time to make a decision. Upon evaluation, due to the uneven distribution of calcification on my native valve, it was determined that I was not eligible.

I have not had two, but many posters I've read over the years have had more than one. I cannot remember any problems. It's when you get to 3 or more there can be scar tissue difficulties IIRC.

Good Luck! 17 years was a good run.

I am interested I knowing if anyone has had a second aorta valve replacement
My wife has had 2 AV replacements (along with 2 MV and 2 PV replacements) over the course of 3 OHS. First was a ROSS procedure (her good PV replaced her diseased AV) and then 20 years later, her moderately leaking PV in the aortic position was replaced with a mechanical valve.

My first one was in 2005, it is a bovine., and I assume the new one will be as well.
Depending on your age and/or other considerations that may be appropriate but you risk another OHS if you outlast your 2nd bovine valve.

I would like to hear from anyone who has been thru the second one.
In general, my wife found the recovery to actually be a little better after her 2nd and 3rd OHS than her 1st (possibly due to improvements in anesthesia, pain meds, and she knew what to expect and do for her recovery I guess). As there is more scar tissue after each surgery, it does make the surgery more complex/risky and longer each time so you should seek out a surgeon that has experience/specializes in repeat/redo OHS.

Depending on your age and/or other considerations that may be appropriate but you risk another OHS if you outlast your 2nd bovine valve.

Of course this is the big dilemma- do you get a mechanical valve and have a lifetime of warfarin and all the hassles that go with that, or another bovine valve that may last longer than you, or if not, perhaps get replaced by TAVR or another OHS.
I tend to just take whatever will be and hold no fear of another OHS. I just go along with whatever is needed and don’t fret too much.

Rosel, I had my second replacement valve installed 2-7-22. I am 58 and I went with the Inspiris Resilia bovine valve. I previously had a homograph installed in 2001. I needed the recent surgery due to my ascending aortic aneurysm. This valve has only been on the market for around 5 years, so no longer term data. I would suggest researching it as one of your options. Good luck to you. I am feeling pretty good 4 months out.

I had a second AVR (at age 65) in 2014 because my porcine valve had only lasted 6 years. A cardiac surgical nurse told me I would be surprised how much patient care had improved in those few years, so you may benefit from even more improvement. I tried to reason myself into another tissue valve, but my family is long-lived on both sides and the possibility of multiple valve replacements down the road, each accompanied by a period of decline and recovery, didn't seem the best choice. For whatever reason, the second surgery and recovery seemed easier, but not so enjoyable that I'd miss the opportunity for that third one.
I envy you for the long run you've had with your bovine valve. Good luck with your next valve whatever you choose.

I was a teenager for my first and 36 during my second. Wouldn’t want a third. My second was due to an aneurysm 19 years after my first one. It was harder. Sternum was tougher to saw through due to scar tissue. I was under longer. My mechanical valve was doing just fine though and I wouldn’t have needed another if my aorta would have behaved. I stuck with mechanical and hopefully I wont have other unrelated issues. I’m almost 13 years in on that one.

I can’t recall anything specifically bad that I would attribute to second time around that I couldn’t just as easily attribute to being 19 years older and no longer having a teenagers ability to bounce back. Did really well recovering for about two weeks, then pancreatitis set in and I felt pretty awful for a while. Then I picked up an infection from cleaning an aquarium that I assume was because I was already immune compromised during healing. Fortunately it didn’t move much above my wrist (in my lymphatic system). But I looked like Frankenstein’s monster at the pool on vacation with my pink scars and bandages on my wrist. I’m sure I freaked some kids out.

Hi
and welcome back
I am interested I knowing if anyone has had a second aorta valve replacement
well you can certain if any member here is under 50 when they have surgery then if they don't get a mechanical its simply a matter of time before they will need the tissue valve replaced. You'll find quite a number of members here have had 2 (or more).

I had my first when I was about 10 (repair), second at about 28 (some ones used valve), third at 48 (mechanical which was over 10 years ago now).

I don't know what you are intending for your next shot, and as your "about" has no details (like age which is the primary consideration for choice) I can't be sure. One thing I can say with certainty is you don't want to be aiming for your third surgery in your late 70's.

Best wishes

My wife has had 2 AV replacements (along with 2 MV and 2 PV replacements) over the course of 3 OHS. First was a ROSS procedure (her good PV replaced her diseased AV) and then 20 years later, her moderately leaking PV in the aortic position was replaced with a mechanical valve.

In general, my wife found the recovery to actually be a little better after her 2nd and 3rd OHS than her 1st (possibly due to improvements in anesthesia, pain meds, and she knew what to expect and do for her recovery I guess). As there is more scar tissue after each surgery, it does make the surgery more complex/risky and longer each time so you should seek out a surgeon that has experience/specializes in repeat/redo OHS.
Fully agree .

I will be able to tell you after next week as I am having my second surgery also. I also have a bovine valve put in 2009 but will replace it with a mechanical this time. I pray your surgery goes well.
Best choice to minimize the possibility of another ops, all the best.

I will be having my second OHS August 17. I had a bovine valve 5 years ago at age 57 and now I’m opting for a mechanical. I had no complications the first time and even had a single bypass with it. I was out of the hospital in 7 days. No oxygen no pain just nausea which I despise. This time I have gone into the ER twice with hypoxia and pulmonary edema and spent 3 weeks in the hospital because of lung infiltrates. They checked me for everything under the sun and thought I had a virus or PNE but nothing. Now I’m home for two weeks so my lungs can clear. The surgeon said he doesn’t want to have to put a trach in me or have me with respiratory complications. I hope this time around things will go smoothly. I’m only getting the valve replaced and nothing else done. My surgeon is one of the best in the world at one of the largest medical centers so I believe I’m in good hands. I have also taken care of his patients as a cardiac nurse so I know a little bit more about the process.

I will be able to tell you after next week as I am having my second surgery also. I also have a bovine valve put in 2009 but will replace it with a mechanical this time. I pray your surgery goes well.
Same here next week mechanical bovine only lasted 5 years

I had a second AVR (at age 65) in 2014 because my porcine valve had only lasted 6 years. A cardiac surgical nurse told me I would be surprised how much patient care had improved in those few years, so you may benefit from even more improvement. I tried to reason myself into another tissue valve, but my family is long-lived on both sides and the possibility of multiple valve replacements down the road, each accompanied by a period of decline and recovery, didn't seem the best choice. For whatever reason, the second surgery and recovery seemed easier, but not so enjoyable that I'd miss the opportunity for that third one.
I envy you for the long run you've had with your bovine valve. Good luck with your next valve whatever you choose.
Got a porcine aortic valve in 2008 - led a very vigorous and active life. I've had a good run with my pig valve but now it needs replacing. Think I'll do it again. I don't think I can handle the sound of mechanical - thoughts?

Think I'll do it again. I don't think I can handle the sound of mechanical - thoughts?
not sure if you're only after Debs opinion, but if you are then just stop reading here.

I see from another post (but its not in your Bio) that you're 59 now. That's on the borderline of benefit towards a mechanical (so its a coin toss).

I'll say one thing about the sound. People keep comparing it to something external, which is a false premise. Its inside you, it is a part of you from the time the surgeon is closing. It may be new to you as you first gain consciousness but within a year (hopefully you're expecting to live more than a year right?) it becomes part of you unless you actively diligently choose to hate it and never ignore it. Even then to some extent you'll fail at that.

We make a choice when we have our first, the time of replacement seemed hazy in the distance, but you now know it eventually becomes now. as time does its inevitable march.

You've now had one operation, so you think you understand it all ... but do you? Do you understand the compounding difficulty of the surgery ahead (due to scar tissue, which btw is not just something on the surface, but an interior mess of glue that makes surgical access harder), the additional risks. Not just risks of death (being dead is easy) but the risks of other issues. Everything which is inconvenient and permanent and which you may not get but you may.

There is no cure only the exchange of medical conditions valvular heart disease to prosthetic valve disease. The two types are:
  • tissue prosthetic disease
  • mechanical prosthetic disease
one prosthetic is generally speaking something which will never need replacement, but requires ongoing management (take a pill and measure) the other is one which (unless you die) requires replacement.

Unlike new tyres on your car you are worse for wear on getting it fitted. So unlike if you were 59 and facing your first you're 59 and facing your second. It is sort of not as much of a coin toss when that factor that in. I'm nearly 59 now and I can assure you that I would not do well after another operation in 15 years from now.

Just food for thought.

Best Wishes

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back