My scar at 9 months out

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

malibu82

here i am posting this for all of the new members who like myself, were curious about the scar after surgery!

here is mine at 9 months out now. not as light as i would like it!

IMG_7052.jpg

Last edited:
Jackie, looking good and heres hoping that the bumps are behind you in the road well travelled ..............you know if A. Green was active he would have lots to say

Sid, Looks like you got the extra navel treatment but that fades with time

Thanks. That's looking great, isn't it? I'm quite fair (despite living in Australia!) and sometimes use self-tan on my arms/legs, chest. I wonder what that would do to the scar (once it's healed of course).
I remember when I started looking at this forum you were about to have surgery. In five weeks' time I'll be on the table so feeling what I'm sure is familiar to you all - terrified, anxious, wary, even a bit excited, but most of all just SICK OF WAITING and want it done!

here i am posting this for all of the new members who like myself, were curious about the scar after surgery!

here is mine at 9 months out now. now as light as i would like it!

IMG_7052.jpg

lol thank you everyone! yep it has luckily straightened out. i dont know how!

allison, i use self tanner too. it didn't do anything to my scar except help it to blend in and be less noticeable! so don't worry about that!

sid, yours actually didn't look too bad 2 weeks out!

I hate to stare, but it's a LOVELY scar -- I mean Malibu's, not Sid's! :)

Yes, Malibu, your scare looks great.

Sid, how does your scar look like now?

Scar looks awesome...At 2 years you can hardly see mine.. I used Aquaphor on mine every day after I showered...

I shall try the "Aquaphor"! Mine is fading but tooooooooooooooo slowly! Thanks for sharing.

I think all your scars look just fine !!! They look like a badge of courage to me.... I want one as well, but am going to request my surgeon lift my breasts up off my knees, so I have something to decorate both sides of my badge :) 2 weeks till surgery , and still have a sense of humor, am hoping to maintain it ...by requesting to be able to take a PCA pump full of Demerol home with me, upon discharge ( I have watched all the AVR , triple bypass movies online, and have come to the opinion... they will not be able to convince me to take tylenol at home, after they used a Black& Decker saw on my sterum!!!)
Renee

hahaha! that is funny renee. i also made jokes .....hey as long as i am asleep, can i get a tummy tuck? and whatever else you think i need? but, they only seemed to fix my heart!!!

unfortunately that demerol made me so sick the first night i made them take me off of it!
vicodin was much betttttttter
you might be surprised that the pain level isnt nearly as bad as you would imagine! good luck !

LMAO at Natina... you are so funny.... I was thinking maybe they can make me go up a cup size while they are in there... oh well.. maybe another day...
That sense of humor will get you far!

Dang Greg, that was just plain LAZY of your Doctor, shame on him, lol !!! I mean, to me, it is like washing dishes...do you wash them and not clean off the counter, the stove, the table, the never ending fingerprints on your stainless steel refrigerator door, sweep the floor, mop....I tell you..any way to get us back later for more procedures ( more $$$), what a system :)
Malibu82.. unfortunately for me...I am allergic to morphine & codeine, Vicodin aka Hydrocodone.... Hydrocodone has codeine in it but is formulated specially to make Hydrocodone. Hydrocodone is semi synthesized where as codeine all comes from morphine or poppy. So it seems , I can take a few Vicodin without any problems, but more than a couple of doses, and I get a rash, even hives/itch and nausea/vomiting. Vomiting ,I have a feeling, is not something I will enjoy after this surgery :)
I am not sure as to what drug they will be able to give me, till the pain is tolerable on tylenol...maybe Percocet ( have had 6 pills of it in my life, for dental work)...., not sure, I would be able to take that on any length of time either though, as the molecular formula for oxycodone hydrochloride (Percocet) is C18H21NO4•HCl....very close to codeine's formula C18H21NO3.... so it may cause me the same side effects as well, if need to take it for a couple weeks post-op. Well..........I am not going to worry about the post-op pain, the most important thing is my heart is fully functional and I at least have as many brain cells, as I went in with.........thinking, well, as long as they have a Chiropractor on staff, to fix the back pain, from laying so many hours in a supine position , on a metal table...lol Wonder if I can request an alignment of my spine, as they transfer me back to the gurney, post surgery. Adds that to a post-it note, to wear into surgery.:)
Thank you for letting me know, the pain will not be horrible, malibu82.....that does lift a weight off my mind ....
Renee

Malibu82.. unfortunately for me...I am allergic to morphine & codeine, Vicodin aka Hydrocodone.... Hydrocodone has codeine in it but is formulated specially to make Hydrocodone. Hydrocodone is semi synthesized where as codeine all comes from morphine or poppy. So it seems , I can take a few Vicodin without any problems, but more than a couple of doses, and I get a rash, even hives/itch and nausea/vomiting. Vomiting ,I have a feeling, is not something I will enjoy after this surgery :)
I am not sure as to what drug they will be able to give me, till the pain is tolerable on tylenol...maybe Percocet ( have had 6 pills of it in my life, for dental work)...., not sure, I would be able to take that on any length of time either though, as the molecular formula for oxycodone hydrochloride (Percocet) is C18H21NO4•HCl....very close to codeine's formula C18H21NO3.... so it may cause me the same side effects as well, if need to take it for a couple weeks post-op. Well..........mind ....
Renee

Most narcotics , especial codeine based, make me hurl, too, Renee. I was able to take Percocet at night. Loratab--nope. They can give you Tylenol PM at night to help you sleep, too (or bring your own--just let them know you want to take it). I really only took percocet at night for the first week or so and then switched to Tylenol.

1) You may be joking about the chiropractor, but arranging for a massage therapist to accompany you up to the OR door and meet you again when you wake up, makes PERFECT sense to me! I had one experience just pre-op that got me way more tense than I wanted to be, and a little "work" on my neck and shoulders would have helped a LOT. I hinted and asked, but none of the nurses were that kind of touchy-feely, so I was stuck.

2) Several of us here (including me) have managed to avoid significant post-op pain, and with luck you may just join us. (Most of the painless folks don't hang around here long, I think, so the forum reads a bit worse than a random sample.)

I said no to every offer of narcotics post-op except one (2 ml of morphine before they pulled the drainage tubes), and I'm about 95% sure I should have said no to that one, too. Amazingly, this OHS was WAY less painful than EITHER of my two hernia ops, or my Achilles Tendon repair! It's hard to believe, considering how invasive it is, but that's how it turned out. Maybe if we all think positive thoughts, we can "will" you into that group!

Back