My Replacement Valve Story

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bucks1972

Since I found this web site very helpful with having my heart valve replaced I wanted to contribute my story so perhaps others might benefit from my experience. The community of people here were wonderful by answering my questions, knowledgeable in their technical information and spoke freely of their own experiences. As I read more of the comments on this site I began to understand what I could expect from heart valve replacement surgery,that made me feel I was not alone.
My story begins with my only son when last February we got the call no parent wants to get from his fiancee who told us to come quick, his face was blue. In the 15 minute drive to his house all sorts of things were going through our minds. Our son went to bed not feeling well and died in his sleep from what we later learned to be of an aortic dissection. At 29 years old he had been in good health his entire short life, no sign of any heart issues. We learned diagnosing a weak aorta is difficult and hard to correct with surgery. Death is quick as the heart fills with blood and stops. The week of my son's funeral I was told I had a severely leaking aortic valve and would need open heart surgery, talk about misery loves company. At 64 years old I had been in good health my entire life and, was not on any medications. I went to the family doctor the Monday of our sons funeral and the doctor says he detected a heart murmur which was something new. An ultrasound was scheduled the next day and the results detected the leaking valve. No history of any of this condition in my family. I felt I was in a bad dream and in a daze planning our son's funeral and wondering what was going to happen to me. I had been feeling weak and somewhat tired for a number of months. I was an avid golfer and would be at the course two or three day a week at 7am, my friends and I would walk briskly carrying our bags and we would finish by 10am. I just stopped playing, did not feeling like getting up that early. I have had a history of sinuses problems and for three months prior to my diagnosis was getting treated for various respiratory conditions, sinuses, throat,lungs, acid reflux, tests for allergies etc. Each time I went to the doctor they took my blood pressure and said it was fine. I started taking my own blood pressure at home and found the number to be really strange like 140 over 50 when I had been a 120/90. Some days I would feel somewhat better but I would wake up an feel tired. Some days I would just sit in my chair and doze off and on. I also had this tickle in my throat and I would barely get one sentence out before coughing, cough drops helped.. Later when I went to visit the surgeon he told me this condition would probably go away after surgery as it was due to blood dropping back into my heart from the leaking valve creating a slight puff of air up through my throat. he was correct have never since had this tickle. After the diagnosis I did not know what to do next. I spoke to my cousin he knew of a 45 year old woman who had heart valve surgery and she would be willing to talk to me. She mentioned this web site. As I began reading the various subject I began to better understand my situation, what could be done about it and how it would effect my life. I found on this site information needed to make decisions about various valves and suggested Internet articles to read etc. Things did not seem quite as scary. I did get a second opinion which confirmed the diagnosis. A heart catherization was performed and the rest of the heart was fine, no blocked arteries. I next focused upon picking a good hospital, a good surgeon and the right kind of valve. The Internet and this web site was invaluable. I was getting more comfortable. I decide on a tissue valve and surgeon suggested a cow valve made by Edwards Life Science.. I started reading about open heart surgery and stopped when I got to the part when they collapse your lungs so the surgeon has more room to work, I did not want to know anything more about how the surgery was performed. However I should have asked more questions about recovery. I did not realize the anesthesia and other pain medications slow and change the body processes. After surgery when I would closed my eyes and try to sleep I began I began to see all these strange faces Later I spoke with other people who had open heart surgery and they told me of similiar experience perhaps its from the morphine I was given. I had little appetite and was having trouble urinating. I got catherized five times. I began thinking I had prostrate or bladder cancer I was getting myself depressed. In general I was a positive person and my wife and sister had I never seen me like this. Fortunately the nursing staff was outstanding, providing encouragement and diligently worked with me to get a regular urine flow, who would have thought peeing would be important. .I was very impressed with the medical care. The day of surgery seemed very disciplined about each step in preparing you and the timing of what would happen, no waiting, things went like clockwork once I arrived at the hospital. In recovery when a nurse was with me I felt like they were focused on me, not just a patient but a person. Great emotional support and technical knowledge. I left the hospital five days after surgery. Being home made a huge different in my outlook and my rate of recovery increased. My appetite came back big time as I had lost 15 pounds from 190 to 175. I never really had much pain and did not take any pain medication once I came home. The walking program went well as did physical therapy. I began planning golf a couple months after surgery and have had not pain or limited movement to turn and hit a golf ball. A ultrasound was done 9 months and my heart is working better than ever. I know someday I will probably need some sort of surgery but I was pleased with how things worked out. I was later told the damaged valve was not genetic and probably result of an infection but there was not present in the valve, so I guess I am ok for now.Sometime I do wonder if my son's death saved me or if I had went to the get checked sooner I might have saved him. I hope those of you who read this story are in some way benefited and best of luck to all of you.

Thank you for sharing your story. My third child died shortly after birth in 1984 from multiple birth defects. The emotional pain was devasting and I didn't get a chance to know him. I can't imagine the grief of losing a child you raised to adulthood. My sincere condolences to you, your family, and his fiancée. My second husband died in 2001 from heart-related problems. I believe he was watching over me when I was diagnosed needing AVR last May. Like you, I had no history of heart disease in my family and I was lucky it was caught or I'd probably have been dead in a year. Because of my experience I believe your son was watching over you. I don't think an earlier diagnosis for you would have saved him. Others will not agree with me but that's ok. I'm glad your recovery has gone smoothly. God bless.

Thanks for sharing your story bucks1972. The loss of your son must be still fresh for you. We parents don't expect to have to deal with the loss of one of our children. It is hard. I'm sure many others will appreciate you sharing your story and giving back to the wealth of knowledge and support this group have given others. I was surprised that you could swing a golf club after a couple of months. Hope your recover goes well and healing is fast

Glad to hear that your surgery went well and so sorry that your son's issue was not diagnosed. It's a good reminder how lucky those of us are that get these issues diagnosed and fixed.

As a father of a nine year old boy I can't imagine what you've been through. I'm glad your surgery came out well. The recovery can be a little bumpy- I was catheterized twice so I know how that feels and it's not good. I had my surgery last February and the reason I found out I had a BAV and an aortic aneurysm is because the death of my father due to heart issues made me push to get my heart checked out even though I was in good condition overall and had good BP , EKG etc..Try not to second guess about whether or not getting checked out earlier would have helped . There's no way you could have known.

So sorry for the loss of your son. You can't 2nd guess yourself with his heart problem. You had no idea. Thanks for sharing your story about your journey. This forum has helped all of us get through some of the most scary and trying times in our life. I pray for your continued great recovery and that God will give you and your family the peace that surpasses all understanding.

Latest posts

Back