My Mother Going Into Hip Replacement Surgery January 6th

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PairoDocs

rural area outside Buhl, Idaho, United States
My mother, who is 77, due to a rapidly deteriorating artificial hip has had to schedule a near-emergency hip replacement surgery tomorrow morning very early. Please keep her in your prayers, so that her recovery is quick and uneventful. She went rapidly from a several mile a day hiker to having to use a walker to go across a room in just three months' time. I hope she can get her walking, swimming, and other physical activities back to normal. Thanks.

Chris

Chris:

Will keep your mom in my prayers. Hope her surgery and recovery go well.

My 53YO sister had her left hip joint replaced Dec. 17 (right was done in October 1998) and is doing pretty well. She's also had both knee joints replaced (due to lupus). She had in-home PT through Dec. 31 and will start outpatient PT Jan. 7. She goes to her surgeon today for a checkup. I can tell from her voice that her pain/discomfort have diminished considerably in the last 7-10 days. She also sounds much better than pre-op.

She'll probably face a re-op on one or more of her joints someday, as your mom is having done. So I'll be awaiting updates on your mom.

Chris,

Will certainly keep your mother in my prayers for a successful operation and a smooth recovery. I understand how very important it is to maintain mobility, and I earnestly hope this will improve that for her.

Surgery Is Over and Mom Is Fine!

Surgery Is Over and Mom Is Fine!

Good news! I spoke to my sister and mother and the surgery went perfectly. Mom had a spinal rather than general, along with a nice dose of Versed (the milk of amnesia as it were). She's already alert and coherent. She expects to stay in the hospital until Friday or Saturday. Then my sister will drive her to a convalescent center for a week or a bit longer. The end of this stay will determine when I have to drive down to California to take care of her for a while. Then I'll stay there until she is ambulatory enough to take care of herself. There may be a gap where she can't drive yet, but is comfortable with my brother-in-law and Amy just checking in daily, rather than my round-the-clock care. Thanks for your very effective prayers! :) If there are any BTRs I will post them; otherwise assume the best.

Chris

Better News...

Better News...

My mother was released from the hospital today and is now in an extended care facility for what she estimates will be a week. No respiratory problems, no pain aside from the hip itself. I may be leaving for California in about a week, since she'll need me there for help. I may be there 1-3 weeks depending on her needs.

Chris

Final release day for my mother will be Monday, Jan 18th, one day after my 48th birthday. I have to leave this Saturday because the weather will be pretty iffy starting about Saturday night or early Sunday. It's supposed to rain from Sunday through the end of next week. That of course means snow on Donner Summit on I-80, the best and by far the shortest way to get to Petaluma (north of San Francisco). Please pray for travel protection and that I stay alert for the whole trip. I'm going to use a little Chevy Aveo with studded snow tires for the trip.

She's able to walk much better this time because only joint hardware was replaced and not the bone-attachment components. She will need my help for maybe 10 days, so I'll be away from Laura and the kids for that time. Pray for their safety, too. Laura had to leave me with the kids and house several times for her mother's sake to Chicago last year, so I guess it's my turn now. At least it's close enough (680 miles) for me to drive there rather than fly, thus saving the $.

Chris

Chris be careful, and please post when you get there. Your mom will be in my thoughts and prayers. It's very tough to be an active person, and not be able to get around good!

Back