My Mom's Mitral Valve Replacement Was A Failure

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 17111

They told me today that since the fluid has gone down on her they repeated some tests and that she now has severe mitral regurgitation. This is the cause of her poor cognition low ejection fraction - everything. I am so hurt and sick.

That is disappointing news. Was it a replacement with a prosthetic?

Will she be well enough for another surgery? How long ago was the last one?

I hope you find your strength again soon .

Best Wishes

Hi Pellicle,

Yes, she has the medtronic pig valve. We wanted the cow one.

Right now no. The last one was in December.

I hope so too.

I think the valve failed in December which is why they pushed hospice and kept pushing it.

Thanks..

pellicle;n886681 said:
That is disappointing news. Was it a replacement with a prosthetic?

Will she be well enough for another surgery? How long ago was the last one?

I hope you find your strength again soon .

Best Wishes

Hey there
Becky;n886682 said:
Yes, she has the medtronic pig valve. We wanted the cow one.

Well in case you are cutting yourself up about that, I don't think that in itself was a significant cause for this. Both bovine and porcine have very similar durability.

Right now no. The last one was in December.

Well I expect that as soon as her health increases they will be wanting to schedule a redo. Naturally you should be guided by doctors but seek additional opinions if you feel you aren't hearing the right stuff.

It's certainly gut wrenching to have to face a redo so soon, but it does happen (searching here will reveal a few). The company of them will not alter your feelings.

Best Wishes

I am so sorry to read this. What horrible news to get on top of all your struggles.. Hang in there and keep us informed please.

Becky, I'm sorry you have such bad news. Hope they get your mom back on track. I'm sure this is hard for you also. It is very hard to see family sick. Wishing you better days.

pellicle;n886684 said:
Hey there

Well in case you are cutting yourself up about that, I don't think that in itself was a significant cause for this. Both bovine and porcine have very similar durability.

Well I expect that as soon as her health increases they will be wanting to schedule a redo. Naturally you should be guided by doctors but seek additional opinions if you feel you aren't hearing the right stuff.

It's certainly gut wrenching to have to face a redo so soon, but it does happen (searching here will reveal a few). The company of them will not alter your feelings.

Best Wishes

Hi Pellicle,

Thanks. I just wish I had more answers. I will ask more questions tomorrow morning about the leakage.

I definitely will seek more answers if necessary. I already know that she will not go on the heart lung machine again and I am not to sure about general anesthesia either.

Thanks for the info, advice and support...

Thanks JWinter. I will keep you informed and I appreciate the support.

Thanks FredW I appreciate the support and kind wishes. It is hard to see her ill and it makes me so angry to know that she has suffered this long and the other doctors were doing nothing to help.

Latest posts

Back