My little adventure

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Agian

Where do I start?

About two weeks ago, I had some chest discomfort and forced myself to go to the Emergency Department, just for piece of mind.
They ordered some blood tests, did an ECG and told me it was all fine.
Rang the cardio the next day and asked for an earlier appointment. He told me not to worry about it, didn't sound like angina, stenosis not severe enough to cause chest pain yada yada.
The discomfort continued, but I ignored it. Lying in bed, for some reason decided to take my pulse. Was around 120. I thought it was odd, got up, took it again... 145.
Decided to let it go, but the what ifs kept hounding me. Presented to ED. ECG normal, bloods normal, chest discomfort still there. Couldn't be heart related. HR dropped, I felt like a goose and wanted to go home.
They decided to keep me in overnight anyway; after all it was 11 pm. In the morning my cardio was called. He suggested I have an angiogram, just to put me at ease.

So, I had the angiogram at midday. Awake.
'How we doing doc?'
'Just keep still and be quiet.'

And there it was... A blockage in one of the arteries. He asked me if I wanted him to put a stent in, or leave it alone.
'Knock yourself out.' I told him.

So get this, he puts the stent in and dislodges the clot on the atheroma, which travels 'downstream'.
The technicians start getting excited about ST elevation and he decides to go back in and fish out the clot.
WTF, talk about pain!!!
'Am I having a heart attack?'
'Yes... a little one.'
He later referred to it as 'trivial', but I ended up spending three nights in CCU.
Surprised that this happened at 47. And get this, cardiologist one (not the angio guy) decides to pay a visit and tells me the pain that got me there wasn't cardiac related, but it was a good thing they did and angiogram and 'squashed the blockage out of the way'.
Don't give a **** about my own life, but I have three kids and two elderly parents, who I intentionally keep in the dark (don't want to worry them).
What spooked me was that when I was told I was having a heart attack, I kind of thought 'yeah, bring it on' and was patiently waiting for the tunnel with the light at the end.

Don't know whether to be shocked, angry, pissed, worried, or whatever.
So now I have a 'bare metal stent' in my RCA.

I'm telling you guys, because you're like family.

Last edited:
Wow! Scary stuff! Another remind r that we are our best advocates. Good thing you followed up on your instincts and had more testing done. Did the first cardio say what the pain was related to the o if not for he heart?

honeybunny;n859172 said:
Wow! Scary stuff! Another remind r that we are our best advocates. Good thing you followed up on your instincts and had more testing done. Did the first cardio say what the pain was related to the o if not for he heart?

Anxiety...

CHORUS: 'What a wanker.'

Wow, that was quite the adventure. Totally agree with honeybunny. We definitely know our bodies better then anyone else and if something is not quite right, we should follow through until we get an acceptable answer. Since you have BAV, moderate stenosis AND an aneurysm, I would think your cardiologist would have been more concerned. I'm currently searching for a new cardiologist who actually wants to discuss my MRA and Echo results with me. I've had a 4.4 cm ascending aneurysm for 7 years (BAV as well) and this last MRA showed it at 3.5 cm. My cardiologist signed off on the report and had his nurse call me and said "no change from previous year, see you in a year. Whaaaaat???

Anyway, glad they found the blockage but sorry you had to go through that stressful time!

"Don't know whether to be shocked, angry, pissed, worried, or whatever."
How about all if the above? My goodness, Agian, what a story! I'm glad it came out ok, and hope this is just a blip on the screen. I don't think we dare hope you got the peace of mind you went to ER for to begin with?

Agian,
Sorry to hear you had to go through this. I am with Debby on this...experience all the feelings that you need to...you have been through a shock and certainly didn't expect any of this. In time, hopefully all those feelings will get dimmer and you can focus on you and your family. Thinking of you.

Gee - I took the weekend off to be with my daughter, son-in-law and their 4-month-old son and you went and rang all the bells. I'm sure glad they fixed what they found, but that would scare even the most "centered" individual. Be sure now to keep a close watch on your mood and state of mind. Sometimes after procedures like yours patients go through a lot of the same mental anguish that valvers do after their surgeries. Please be mindful and seek help if needed, as I know you have a lot on your plate.

WOW. Glad it all ended well despite their attempts to screw it up. It's amazing what they don't or can't know with all their experience and tests.

Hi Agian. Scary, but glad to know everything in ok now. Stenting solved the problem, but you must avoid any new blockage, so please strictly follow your medical indications (medications, life style changes, controls, etc.). Take care, you will be fine!

Sorry I haven't written for so long. I've been kinda miserable over all that's happened.
2013 I find out I'll eventually need OHS for a bicuspid, later that year I get a TIA because of a PFO (hole between the upper chambers)
More recently I find out I've got 'early coronary artery disease'; the blockage, the stent, the subsequent 'trivial heart attack'
Anyway, I had an echo last week, which indicated 'no permanent damage'. The MRI I had on Monday showed Preserved Left Ventricular Function. The were two areas of infarct adding up to 5% of the left ventricle. So I guess it's good news.
I've missed reading everyone's posts everyday.

After all you've been through, it's really great to hear things have settled down somewhat and that you’re getting the relevant info.

I send good health thoughts and warmest to you from London.

epstns;n860768 said:
Hang in there, Agian. At least it sounds like things may be calming down some, and then you can try to live your life at your own pace for a bit.

Thanks Eps. Today and yesterday I had less chest-pain than I've had for about three months.

Back