My journey with avr

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hdogmd32

I had avr surgery August 14th 1994 bellin hospital in green bay Wisconsin. so just over 23 years ago. I was 14 then, just about to turn 38 next month! I've had one blood clot go to my splean. Other than that, no issues at all! Yes I have neglected to take my warfarin alot more than I've taken it. I know it's very important, but I can't stand constantly going to the Dr, to have my INR checked, my medication dosage changed all the time. Annual check ups and test like an echo, ext... I have 2 uncle's with the same value replacement surgery, but there's was much much later in life, I was born with arotic valve stenosis and knew at birth that surgery will happen at some point. I used to get horrible chest pains as a child, at age 14 I started to pass out, that's when it was time to have surgery. I am thankful to my surgeon that I'm still here and alive today with 23 years so far and still going strong. I'm hoping that I'll never need a surgery again, but who knows.it was scary when I was 14, but after, it didn't seem to have been so bad of an experience. But I still worry about having to have surgery again, I'm hoping I don't.

I have a mechanical st. Jude arotic valve.

Hdogmd32;n880412 said:
I had avr surgery August 14th 1994 bellin hospital in green bay Wisconsin. so just over 23 years ago. I was 14 then....

Hi Hdogmd32. 23 years makes you a veteran of OHS. I also worried about "having to have surgery again" over the years.....but it never happened. The annual checkups are a pain in the A--, but they have helped keep me off the operating table again. The "lab warfarin test routine" used to be a pain for me as well....but not any more. You qualify for home testing, so look into it. More and more doctors now endorse home testing, especially for their younger patients.....who are not senile.

BTW, I also used to screw around with my warfarin dose.....and then had my one and only stroke, clot, CVA (whatever you want to call it) when I was your age, 38. Mine went to my brain, not my spleen, and created a lifelong vision disability......that wouldn't have happened, had I taken that silly little pill....stupid choice by me.

dick0236;n880416 said:
Hi Hdogmd32. 23 years makes you a veteran of OHS. I also worried about "having to have surgery again" over the years.....but it never happened.
Yes, I'm struggling with that now. I'm due for an echo next week and I'm starting to get wound up.

Hdogmd32, welcome to the forum. My valve will be 24 years old next month. I'll be 38 in 3 months. For some reason my valve is not keeping up at the moment. Looking into a third mitral valve replacement in the near future. My valve was replaced in 1982 at 2 years old, then again in 1993 at 13 years old. You and I are old pros at this. ;) hoping for the best for you. Best of luck at your appointment. I second Dick when he says look into at home testing. That'll save you miles of driving to the lab.

Latest posts

Back