My historic day 50th valvsaversary

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeWayne

Today marks a somewhat historic day for me.
It was 50 years ago today I underwent my first open heart surgery.
Seems like an important day to me D:)

Sometimes it seems impossible that it happened that long ago, for I never really expected to still be here. But here I am, still kicking.

Congrats. What a fabulous milestone. I know you must live life to its fullest each day.

I was thinking yesterday.....I was born 49 years ago at only 6 mos. utero. I weighed 2 lb. and 8 oz. and the baby isolette had just been invented.

I had my OHS at the same hospital 3 weeks ago.

This hospital has given me my life twice.

We have lots to celebrate.

Fantastic, it is absolutely worth celebrating! Amazing that the valve repair lasted 47 years as well.

The heart-lung machine isn't much older:
"The first successful open heart procedure on a human utilizing the heart lung machine was performed by John Gibbon on May 6, 1953 in Philadelphia. He repaired an atrial septal defect in an 18-year-old woman."
(Wikipedia)

::g

I decided today was a day to call Henry Ford just to let them know I was still around. Funny as heck, my name is still in their system! lol. No info, but the name was still there after all these years.

It is amazing that they identified your bicuspid aorta that long ago and that it lasted so long! How did they repair it way back then? Congrats!

yeah the chevelle is my daily driver. I also have a 72 GMC Sprint (looks like the El Camino).

As far as what they did my current cardiologist says they pretty much cut you open shoved a finger in the aorta, wiggled it around then closed you up lol. I do have the original operating notes from my surgeon. I talked to him back in the mid 80s and he told me he would send them to me. My surgeon in 06 used them when he planned out my replacement to understand what they had done prior.

As far as finding the bicuspid valve it was originally found at the University of Minnesota in 1956. But being that I was only 2 it was not a surgery they were willing to perform. They wanted to wait until I was at least 10. In 59 they decided they better try or I might not make it. I am glad they did!

yeah the chevelle is my daily driver. I also have a 72 GMC Sprint (looks like the El Camino).

Very nice, that is my '68 in my avatar. Not a daily driver though, I just show it now since I restored it back to factory original. I also have an '86 mustang GT convertible for a daily driver, lots of fun!

These big milestones are such an inspiration to all of us. I wish you a very HAPPY ANNIVERSARY followed by many years of good health!

Things I remember.

Before surgery:
I remember a reoccurring dream. that one if for another day.
I remember some mornings waking up where my eyes were mattered shut. It would take my mother a while to clean them up so I could see.
I remember the family going to Greenfield Village.
I do not remember going to the hospital or pretty much anything else prior to surgery.

In the Hospital:
I remember the first thing I said after waking up. Told the Nurse I had to cough, but my chest was wrapped so tightly I could not take a breath deep enough to do so. She said "I will cough for you, will that help?"
I remember tubes coming out of me everywhere, at least one in my ankle, wrist, elbow, back of my knee and a couple out of my chest.
I remember the dormitory like room with many beds.
I remember looking out the window and waving to my brothers and sister. They were not allowed up it the room.
I remember sitting on the floor playing with a metal 1958 Oldsmobile car, rolling it back and forth with another kid in the room.
I remember the lay down cart they would push me around in the hallways with. I wanted so badly to ride in a wheel chair, but the last day in the hospital my parents went to get one and the place with the chairs was closed. So I never got that ride.
I remember when they would used a dang suction machine to clear the phlegm out of my throat. Man I hated that thing, but they always gave me hot chocolate afterwards.
I remember one shot that hurt like heck. I named it the spider shot. I didn't like that one.
I remember spending my 5th birthday in the hopsital and getting not one but TWO cakes! The hospital bought one in and my Mom made me a very special cake that was made to look like a clown.
I do not remember actually leaving the hospital.

After:
We moved back to Minnesota, and I remember going to the University of Minnesota hospital for checkups. I remember the chalky barium stuff they made you eat before an Xray. I remember one time about 30 doctors coming through in a line each of them listening to my heart. I remember how much I hated going for check ups lol

And here I am 50 years later able to tell the story. Ain't life grand!

WOW!!!!
This is truly inspiring. Congratulations.

At least I can share this date with you DeWayne, I feel like just a pup celebrating only 2 years today :)

And here I am 50 years later able to tell the story. Ain't life grand!

Congratulations, 50 years is a BIG deal. I remember talking with a cardiologist in the early 1960s when stories of OHS, maybe one of the stories was yours;), began to circulate in the press. His response was "nope, that kind of surgery was too new and the risk far outweighed any reward". Thanks for being a guinea pig:D.

Congratulations, 50 years is a BIG deal. I remember talking with a cardiologist in the early 1960s when stories of OHS, maybe one of the stories was yours;), began to circulate in the press. His response was "nope, that kind of surgery was too new and the risk far outweighed any reward". Thanks for being a guinea pig:D.

I do know that my parents had to fight the insurance company to cover my surgery. They deemed it experimental and were not going to cover it. In the end my parent's did win out, but I can only imagine the toll it took on them at the time.

And as far as being a guinea pig, you are all welcome :D

My goodness! Congratulations on your 50th OHS anniversary & wishing you so many more years ahead still!

For all you waiting to have OHS & having doubts of whether you should or shouldn't go thru your surgery, this is the story & the person you need to focus on!

You are a walking testament that OHS will give you the opportunity to live a long & healthier life!

Stay well! :)

Back