My echo

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DavesMom

Hi all,

I had my annual cardio visit today. I had AVR and aneurysm repair back in 1999 and am now being followed due to another aneurysm, now measuring 4.6 cm.

All went well, but when I read my report a bit later it said "mitral valve thickening consistent with calcification and or fibrosis. There is moderate mitral annular calcification. There is restrictive inflow due to heavy annular calcification with a calculated mean gradient of 3 mmhh. There is trace mitral regurgitation."

Can anyone give me a translation of that??? I assume it means my mitral valve is becoming stenotic, right? How bad is the mean gradient?

Thanks for any info. Hope everyone is well.

I don't know a lot regarding mitral valves but I don't think that's high for an aortic valve if that helps. It might be off topic but how was your aneurysm repaired in 1999? Was it replaced with a graft or is your aneurysm somewhere else?

Hi there - my aneurysm was repaired with a graft. Hope the 3mmhh isn't high, but I was a bit concerned when I read the comment about the restrictive inflow. Thanks and take care.

I don't think it is but I imagine there is someone out here who knows for sure. So where is the aneurysm if you don't mind me asking

Hi again,

To be honest, not sure of the exact location except it was in the ascending aorta. It was kind of a last minute discovery and even though it wasn't really large enough to require repair the surgeon did it anyway while replacing the valve. So I got a twofer. :)

Not a cardiologist . . but I don't think that's an alarming gradient for mitral. It seems to depend on your heart rate how they interpret the gradient though. My latest echo says

Mitral stenosis with moderately increased mean gradient of 7.0 mmHg at HR 63 bpm

Six months ago

Moderate mitral stenosis with a mean gradient of 12 mmHg at a HR of 70 bpm

The notation on my echo seems to indicate that greater than 10mmHg is concerning, guessing that is why they ordered the TEE. I just got echos yearly for 13 years while in the 7-9mmHg range. Don't know what I had when I was referred for intervention, but I had significant symptoms then.

The good news is that if mitral stenosis becomes a problem for you, you may be able to have a valvuloplasty (catheter-based balloon procedure) vs. OHS again. That's what I had in 2002. Specific to mitral stenosis without significant regurgitation or other ruleouts.

Hope this provides some perspective.

Last edited:
Thanks, dornole. Very interesting and comforting. Think I'm more concerned about whether or not the calcification is impeding the blood flow. My cardio's nurse called today and I mentioned it to her, so she's going to check with the doc. Probably nothing but I do tend to be a worrywart. : )

Back