my brother - possible stroke

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
L

Lisa in Katy

My brother had an aortic valve replacement with a mechanical in 1993 - totally unrelated to my mitral valve replacement. Anyway, he went to the emergency room where he lives today - Glendale, Arizona - with a possible stroke. My sister talked to him and said that he sounds funny, but is talking. He has numbness on one side of his body. Anyway, I've mentioned before that he has not been very good at taking his Coumadin and having the checks, so I'm not real surprised, but just the same, I'd appreciate your prayers. Thanks!

Hi Lisa-

I'm very sorry to hear about your brother. My prayers are with him and I hope that it turns out to be something that is not permanent in nature.

Ditto me for the prayers...it sounds hopeful that he is walking and talking. They can do so much now with early intervention. He has to get on the stick with his coumadin though. Good wishes and prayers coming your and his way.

Dear Lisa... I hope that your brother is okay. It is so hard when our family is sick and we are unable to be near them.

Take care,

Zazzy

You must feel so helpless being far away and waiting for news. We will all be saying prayers for a good outcome for your brother and you.

Stroke

Stroke

Lisa -

It sounds like your brother may have had a mild stroke. The good news is he is able to talk now and it will improve every day. I had a mild stroke about a month ago. When it happened I could not talk at all but I'm about back to normal now. It seems to take forever when your the one that can't talk right. Also, expect him to have a low energy level during recovery. My Speech Therapist said it may take me 6 months or longer to be my old self again.

His Doctor may want him on increased coumadin dosage now.

I will say a prayer for you and him. Please keep us posted on his progress.

Tammy

MVR 04/06/89
Aortic Stenosis

Our Prayers

Our Prayers

Lisa:

Your brother will definitely be in our prayers. Do keep us posted on how he is and whether or not he makes progress. We'd appreciate it.

RON P.

Thanks everyone. He is doing much better. The hospital gave him TPA (clot buster) and he was feeling better almost immediately. They have called it a TIA and warned him that there could be other small clots that they couldn't see with all the tests. The valve looks good though. The doctors also reamed him royally about not taking his Coumadin. When I used to nag him about not taking it, he'd tell me that he could tell when he needed it - ha!!!! They put him on Lovenox shots until his INR is where it needs to be. He's such a wimp that Home Health is coming to his house to give him his shots!

Fortunately for him, God gave him just a small wake-up call, and he has a chance to take better care of himself. Typical male - thinks he's immortal!

Anyway, thanks again!

Hi Lisa,

Good news about your brother. Happy to hear he is making a speedy one.

Look into the Lovenox. It is not protocol, FDA warning out for valve patients. It's not covering us as well as thought. Luckily, all the times I was on it.....did not have an event. Just confirmed the FDA warning with my Cardiologist last week. He knew all about it. Made me feel good that he is 'up to date'. Anyway, he wants me to sit around the IV pole prior to, or after any event or surgery until my INR comes up.. Looks like that's the way to go now.

Off side, it takes me forever for my INR to come up. At times, almost 3 weeks if you can believe it. Can't imagine sitting in the hospital just for a Heparin drip. Bring plenty of reading material and a DVD player if that is the case! Toss out those ugly gowns and give me some real clothes. As I recall, they could never unplug me long enogh for a shower. What's up with that?

Good luck to you and your family.

Back