My Brother --- High Risk OHS!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

njean

Premium Level
Supporting Member
A few months ago, I posted a thread concerning my older brother and how he might be facing OHS: http://www.valvereplacement.org/forums/showthread.php?39676-Now-my-brother-needs-OHS!&highlight=.

Well, the time has come and it's a lot more serious than we could have imagined! He met with the surgeon this morning, and, the surgeon told him that neither he nor any other surgeon in this area would be willing to tackle the surgery!

Apparently the infection he had this summer was indeed endocarditis; and it hid in his heart causing extensive damage. The doctors here just don't have the expertise to deal with it! And on top of that, he's got an artery that is 70% blocked, so that needs to be addressed too along with the valve issues. So he is being sent to the Mayo Clinic in Phoenix and his surgery will take place apparently this coming Thursday.

I had dreaded this scenario in my mind so many times when he had that infection and the fact that the doctors here could not find it and kept giving him massive doses of antibiotics and still could not arrest it! If only he had listened to me and gone to either Phoenix or Houston liked I had told him to!

A dear cousin of ours will be traveling with him to Phoenix so we have comfort in that, but it's going to be very stressful for the next few days. Please keep him in your prayers!

And when it rains it pours, my friends ..... my DH will have to undergo a heart cath on Monday of next week. The stress test that he had two weeks ago, showed that he may have some blockage on the left side of his heart! So I'm being torn apart right now! (My poor hubby didn't want me saying anything about his situation and I've tried to keep it within myself.....please, please keep him in your prayers too! Thank you~!)

One more note -- I just spoke to my brother again and he told me that the doctor (surgeon) told him that they were going to have to go with a cadaver tissue valve instead of the mechanical he had hoped for. And the reason for that is because the infection (endocarditis) had eaten away at the surrounding tissue where the aortic valve is. The first thing that came to my mind, although I didn't say it, was the possibility of rejection!

Last edited:
N. Jean,

My heart goes out to you and your family. You all will be in my thoughts and prayers. I think many of us on this forum know the stress that goes along with these events.

God Bless,
-Steve

Norma, sorry to hear about your brother having to travel, but at least you know he is in good hands and will be well looked after. I'm glad that his local Dr's at least told him they were in over their heads instead of trying to sort him out. Too bad they didn't do it earlier before so much damage was done. I'm pretty sure that human cadaver valves are not subject to rejection, hence the no need for anti-rejection meds, so put that thought to rest.

I believe your husband will be good. On the bright side, know that if he was really severe or they were very concerned, he would have been cathed right then. So, here's hoping to a very good report on him, or at the very worst, a stent that can be put in and he won't miss a beat.

Don't worry so much that you make yourself sick. It sounds like they are both being well looked after.

K

Norma, sorry to hear about your brother having to travel, but at least you know he is in good hands and will be well looked after. I'm glad that his local Dr's at least told him they were in over their heads instead of trying to sort him out. Too bad they didn't do it earlier before so much damage was done. I'm pretty sure that human cadaver valves are not subject to rejection, hence the no need for anti-rejection meds, so put that thought to rest.

I believe your husband will be good. On the bright side, know that if he was really severe or they were very concerned, he would have been cathed right then. So, here's hoping to a very good report on him, or at the very worst, a stent that can be put in and he won't miss a beat.

Don't worry so much that you make yourself sick. It sounds like they are both being well looked after.

K

Thank you Kimmie! Yes, that does comfort me to know about the cadaver valves. I was not aware of that!

And I am praying and hoping too that my husband's situation is not dire enough to require surgery.

N. Jean,

My heart goes out to you and your family. You all will be in my thoughts and prayers. I think many of us on this forum know the stress that goes along with these events.

God Bless,
-Steve

Thank you very much Steve!

Yes it's a stressful time...but we'll weather this storm together!

Norma,
Please count me in as keeping you, your hubby and brother in my thoughts and prayers.
What a stressful time for you. Hang in there ...

Norma,

Sending you and your family all good wishes for successful outcomes from the medical situations they are experiencing. It is good your brother's doctors were wise and professional enough to know he needed to seek more sophisticated, experienced surgeons.

Please let us know how both your dear brother and husband are doing. Remember to take care of yourself throughout.

I do know of someone in my town who had a cadaver valve for several years. Your brother should be fine with it, especially since he is
going to a great hospital. But I will push tons of good vibes anyway, and save some for your DH on Monday.
Big ((hugs)) to you NJ :)

Mom, you, your brother and hubby are in my thoughts. Maybe your brother will listen to you the first time from now on - men.

With all of this going, make sure you take time to look after yourself.

Special ((((hugs)))) coming your way.

Norma,

Sending you and your family all good wishes for successful outcomes from the medical situations they are experiencing. It is good your brother's doctors were wise and professional enough to know he needed to seek more sophisticated, experienced surgeons.

Please let us know how both your dear brother and husband are doing. Remember to take care of yourself throughout.

Thank you and yes I'm very relieved he's going to a wonderful center with very experienced doctors!

Latest posts

Back