My 30th Schenectady 15K

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SumoRunner

I first ran the Schenectady, NY Stockade-athon 15K in 1978. This year was my 30th finish. 10 times before AVR, 20 after. This photo is of the runners who have finished it 30 or more times. 196 finishes total. Don't ask to total our ages. I'm 3rd from left. 2nd from left is Ed Salvo, who had AVR just one year ago. He had a streak of 33 in a row interrupted by heart surgery and made a vow to come back and run it this year. He did indeed.

Stockadeathon2013.jpg

You kick a**, Jack! Here I am, younger, skinnier, and hairier, and I just today managed to run a continuous 10-minute-per-mile 5K on the treadmill. I'll have to keep that in mind if you're ever chasing me...

Tell you what though. A 15k is so hard the legs are still weak 7 days later. I was hurting until Thursday and it took until Sunday to be without pain at the start of a run. The experts say to expect 1 day for each mile raced before full recovery. At 65, I'm going to add a few days to that rule. I should be back in good form in plenty of time for a Turkey Trot though.

Latest posts

Back