MV regurgitation with prolapse

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Also what is AFAIK?
As Far As I Know

Some of the mitral repairs last many years some don’t necessitating ...
so the clip isn't a transfemoral and is OHS ?

I wasn't sure and (probably assumed wrongly) that it was something an interventional cardiologist did ... if they have to "open me up" ... "well please, just put in a new part that lasts"
is what I'd go with which I suspect is what you are saying too.

PS: when I was 10 I had a repair, but when I was 10 everyone was of the view that "we don't want to put in a valve that's going to be the wrong size if it doesn't fail first anyway"

Last edited:
The clip is transfemoral. Not much different than a cath from the patient’s perspective. I had mine done by a guy who at that time had done more than anyone else in the US. He had put some in relatively heathy youngish patients. I was 68 and facing a fourth open heart that nobody wanted to do. I was about to get on a plane to have the open heart when the surgeon called and said go ahead with the clip. So literally within two days I went locally to Cedars Sinai in Los Angeles and got the mitral clip for my decompensated mitral insufficiency. I already had seen the clip guy so I was ready to go right away. I went from major heart failure to nearly normal in a few weeks. For me it was miraculous. The regurgitation went to minimal from severe and there was hardly any gradient in the outflow direction. Still working well six years later.
I haven’t kept up with the literature on clips but I know in my local community it is significantly increasing.
Going biking tomorrow morning about 30 miles.

Last edited:
How much pain is expected with the minimally invasive surgery (5 x1 inch holes + the hole in the groins)

How much pain is expected with the minimally invasive surgery (5 x1 inch holes + the hole in the groins)
With robotic. Very little to none. You will be on pain medications as it's surgery but it'll be ok. I was walking in the hospital after a day or 2. We're talking feet and yards not miles btw. Maybe 5-10' a few times a day. Remember this. Walking is very critical to get your lungs active. Pulminary function to prevent clots from possibly forming. Try not to stay in bed all day in the hospital and at home. If you can move do it. You don't need to go overboard either. At home, you will need naps in the middle of the day. That's ok. Do it.

Last edited:
I thought my incision was fairly painful after surgery, though I didn't have anything to compare it with. For a while I couldn't sleep on my right side, and lifting or pulling motions with my right arm hurt (like lifting a stack of dishes to an upper shelf, or pulling the refrigerator door open). It got better. :)

I thought my incision was fairly painful after surgery, though I didn't have anything to compare it with. For a while I couldn't sleep on my right side, and lifting or pulling motions with my right arm hurt (like lifting a stack of dishes to an upper shelf, or pulling the refrigerator door open). It got better. :)

Yes there are lifting restrictions. I do remember that first winter, 6 months later, the incisions being a little tingly. Sort of that problem area discomfort with bad weather concept. That went away subsequently.

There's a difference between the kind of pain that keeps you from sleeping or distracts you from concentrating on other things, and the kind of pain that is merely annoying and that can be reduced by being careful with your movements and positioning. The second kind is pretty much guaranteed after any surgery, but the first kind is less likely (and, as others have said, can be managed well with medications).

Latest posts

Back