Mustard Crusted Corned Beef. Not claiming this is "heart healthy"

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LUVMyBirman

Mustard Crusted Corned Beef.

1st step in your Crockpot.
This recipe is delicious and very simple.
Only difficult part is rising early enough to cook it!

3-4 lb corned beef brisket
Water
1/2 c chopped onion
2 Garlic cloves, minced
2 bay leaves

Place brisket in crockpot. Barley cover with water. Add onion, garlic and bay leaves. I like to use the Vienna Brisket...it is soaking in this juice already.

Cook for 10 - 12 hours on low. 10 hours is usually sufficient.

Remove brisket from Crockpot and cool 15 minuets. Preheat oven to 375 and coat shallow roasting pan with cooking spray.

For mustard crust you will need:
4 slices of white bread
2 tsp of course grind pepper
1/4 cup mayo
3 tbs prepared horseradish
from jar, drained
2 tbs spicy brown mustard.

Process bread in food processor or blender until fine crumbs form;combine with pepper.
Combine mayo, horseradish and mustard. Using paper towel pat beef dry. Spread about 1/3 mayo mixture over bottom of beef;press on some of the crumb mixture to cover. Place beef breded side down on pan. Spread remaining mayo mixture over beef;press on remaining crumb mixture. Coat all with cooking spray and bake until golden brown. About 10 minutes.

Happy St. Patty's Day! Wish I could have you all over for dinner.
If you try my recipe.....please let me know if you liked it!:)

It sounds delicious, Gina well, except for the horse radish. If I still cooked, I would surely try this one. But I will keep the recipe. I love corned beef.

I was in a NYC restaurant, ordered corned beef sandwich on white w/mayo. Thought the waiter was going to ask me to leave!

Thanks for sharing this one. I wondered what it is when you mentioned it in the other thread.

I don't think "corned beef" is heart healthy...

But once a year for St. Patty's Day probably won't kill you....

Lean corned beef should be fine.

Gina - What night would you like to come over and fix this for us!:D

Having a no sodium St. Pat's Day

Having a no sodium St. Pat's Day

Gina the recipe sounds delicious.

I'm making my own corned beef w/o salt for tomorrow's dinner. Don't know how it will turn out, since high sodium is such a part of the taste. But I put extra spices and garlic, and it's been soaking for a couple of days in the fridge.

Made some no salt soda bread (using calcium carbonate instead of baking soda). That turns out very well. I made it last week for my daughter's family. People didn't even miss the sodium.

Be sure to post the recipe for low sodium corned beef if it works. =)

Hi Nancy,

It seems Joe and I are on opposite ends of the scale.
Though I don't feel salt is good for anyone......
my cardio is actually recommending increased salt intake for myself for low blood pressure.

I have never been one to dash my food with salt. We don't even keep a fully loaded salt shaker in the house. My mother pointed this out last time she visited:eek:

You must purchase your meat at a special store? The corned beef I am preparing has 770mg of sodium in it. Just guessing this is per serving :confused: Now I am wondering if my father is on a decresed salt diet. He was recently placed on Lasix?? Maybe I will be serving exrta to him at dinner tonight;)

Actually, I bought an ordinary ole chuck steak, not brisket, and am soaking in Pickling Spice, garlic and water with vinegar and sugar added. No sodium there, except that which is just a part of the ordinary meat.

Smells pretty good, we'll see how it tastes. I'll let you know.

Probably not nearly as good as mustard encrusted corned beef. Oh well. We're doing what we have to do, and it's working for Joe. I have high blood pressure, so can't hurt me either.

I think I'll make a nice mustard and horseradich sauce to go with. Got some dandy no sodium mustard with Tarragon. The horseradish I have has no sodium. Just mix it up with some no sodium sour cream.

Nancy>>You could probably use the mustard sauce stuff...

Use a NS mustard from healthyheartmarket.com

Maybe use a light mayo or salad dressing or come up with another substitute of some kind.

I don't know what the sodium count would be for horseradish though... If you can get it from a natural foods type supplier the sodium count might be less.... The bread is easy enough if you make bread yourself anyways.

I have found NS wheat bread at a local grocery store. It's expensive, about double the price of any other brand, but for special occassions it's fine.

I used it for stuffing when I did Thanksgiving last year.

A little creativity should find easy substitutions for the things you can't eat.

The horseradish I bought has no sodium. I did get the mustard from HH Market.

I have also found no salt bread in the market. The Vermont bread Company makes some whole wheat that's good, and they'll ship to you if needed. I also found some by the Alvarado St. Bakery out of Calif., it's multi-grain and that's good also. They have a website. Haven't visited it yet. You sure do pay through the nose for a missing ingredient, LOL.

Paying for more of the other stuff to make up for the lack of salt so the bread still tastes good I guess....

I did notice though that (depending on the brand) a slice of wheat bread has half the sodium as a slice of white.

However I picked up a loaf of a "low carb" wheat last week and it had the same as white.

At some point I'm going to fire up the bread machine... My mom's suggested doing it by hand but I don't think I'd have the patience or the time to do that, more so if the bread flops over and dies in the oven while baking!

Would suck to spend half a day making a loaf of bread only to toss it in the trash because it didn't work. I've had to do that with a few of the meals that I've cooked up..... :D

Making bread by hand isn't really hard at all. It just takes time to rise it. The worst thing is that it makes a mess with all the flour all over. I've got a really good recipe for white bread, when I have a moment I'll post it. So far, it's turned out beautifully every time.

Latest posts

Back