Murmur after AVR

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DavesMom

Hi all

Hope this doesn't sound like a silly question but I recently saw my primary care physician. He took a quick listen to my heart and said, "I can hear your murmur." Later on I got to thinking: why would I have a murmur now? Wouldn't the AVR have cleared it up? I know prior to my surgery the doc said I had the loudest murmur he'd ever heard but...

As I said, it's probably a silly question and there's an easy explanation but I'm just curious.

Hope everyone is doing well.

Cheers,
Michelle

I think that like so aspects of this surgery, it really varies from patient to patient. Prior to my surgery, the first thing anyone who listened to my heart would say was what a significant murmur I had. My first appointment after my AVR, my cardio said she could hear no murmur at all. I saw my GP for a physical last week and he said the same thing - no sound at all of a murmur. I told him the cardio had said the same thing and smiled and said, good - now I don't feel stupid.

Maybe it has to do with the type of valve ??? I have the bovine for my procedur

Michelle,
No question is a silly question. I had AVR 4 weeks ago and this week the surgeon said he can still hear a 'small' murmur. He attributes it to my pulmonary valve regurgitation (mild-mod) and not my AV.

Good luck with this and try not to worry.

That's right, there are no silly questions here!! :D

I'm not sure, but I think the new valve makes a different sound than a healthy disease free valve. So then is any different kind of sound simply considered a murmur? It isn't the sound of a leaking valve.... it's just the sound of a valve that isn't a native valve. I don't know how doctors define their sounds.

My doctors all "hear" my new valve. And many who I see for other reasons (Ob/Gyn) I think are curious and listen quite intently for a long time to my happily beating heart. ;)

Since your doctor attributed what he heard to a tiny, minor, probably absolutely nothing to worry about, changes from time to time pulmonary valve regurgitation -- just believe him and go with that!

You still probably have a revisit with the surgeon, don't you? Ask for more details from him about the sounds.

Enjoy your sparkling recovery!

Marguerite

Thanks to everyone for the responses so far.

I'm more curious than worried about it - my valve and I will celebrate 11 years together in February (probably with a nice steak dinner) : ) and I have my yearly echo/cardio appointment in January. All other valves seem to be fine (except for some mild calcification in the mitral) so maybe it's being caused by the replacement valve.

Take care!

Cheers,
Michelle

All of my mom's dr's can hear a murmur still...when students come in with a dr-they all love to hear the murmur:rolleyes: Cardio never seems concerned....Deb

Back