MRI Results

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

themalteser

Hi all - so I had my MRI results and my cardiologist told me that the size of my aortic root is actually 45mm rather than 46/7mm as per the echo. He said probably because the MRI measurements are done when the valve is closed rather than open?... My ascending aorta is within the normal range, but bit enlarged - 34mm. So he told me this is good news as its not the fusiform type of aorta, in which case, he will start thinking about surgery now.

He told me that there is nothing else I need to do and that I just need the usual yearly follow ups. He thinks that I may need surgery in 10 years time, providing I keep myself healthy and walk over 10,000 steps a day (something to do with Biomass). He said that sometimes it remains stable and never need intervention....

I, however, went on healthtap (has anyone else heard of this) and typed about my aorta etc to get a sort of second opinion. And a couple of cardiologists are telling me to start looking at my options now re:surgery, that it is highly likely I need it replaced soon etc etc....

Maybe I shouldn't have posted in Healthtap :) .... I appreciate your opinions....

Thank you in advance all.

On average, aortic aneurysms are said to grow roughly 1mm per year, though individual results can vary widely. With the new guidelines indicating surgery at 5.5cm, 10 years time is about right for a rough estimate. Some surgeons might be more aggressive and yours could grow quicker than average. It is likely you will need surgery sometime, you could always find a surgeon and go there for a 2nd opinion.

Thanks for your post AZ. But maybe, maybe as per the bell curve, is there a possibility that my aorta is just large? I mean, I have so many things that are a bit weird like my ear, I can twist it and turn it without pain or even my nose. I can turn my thumb all the way round my wrist or I can twist my ankle 180 degrees :) I don't have any other flexibility anywhere else, not as flexible as ehlers syndrome. But maybe I am just like this? is it a possibility?

Anyways, how would you deal or dealt with this? I have no clue any more. My mind is constantly fearing that I will die on the operating table! I don't have depression and tried all sorts of meds, but doesn't help. I worry on things like, what if they mess up my coronary artery and what if my heart doesn't restart on its own, or what if they don't see it properly etc etc ...

Would you think about it for the next how many years or would you get on with your life and que sera sera?

You might want to try talk therapy for your anxiety. While meds are great, it's even better if you can address the root cause and get rid of it.

As for "what if my heart doesn't restart on its own" they will give it a little electrical nudge to put it in line. It's not unusual and they did it to mine. Generally, as one surgeon told me, "the heart just wants to beat."

Go on with your life, and aside from an annual checkup forget about it. Worked great for me from the time I was four until age 46. Now I'm back to forgetting. (Or as a friend put it, you probably have a greater chance dying in a wreck while driving to work than on the operating table.)

I think wondering if they'll mess something up is normal. I have plenty of confidence in my choice of surgeon but just today as I was walking my favorite trail in a local park I found myself thinking along those lines. I was thinking about all of the stitching involved and in particular the coronary buttons but it's more of a passing thought with me as I don't have anxiety issues. Hell if I have a garage change my oil I wonder about whether or not they tightened the filter and drain plug properly.

Back