MRI on Shoulder - safety

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Forrest

Hello,
I am interested in hearing about the experiences of anyone who had a MRI and has a prosthetic heart valve. Especially those who had their temporary pacing wires left in. I may need to have a MRI to evaluate a shoulder sports injury (possible rotator cuff or labral tear) and want more background on MRI safety for us valvers. I plan to inform the Orthopedic doc about my bioprosthetic heart valve and that my pacing wires were cut and left inside me. I have read some articles on the Internet, but for now I am curious about the experiences of those who had a MRI.

I had MRI of neck and jaw earlier this year. I told the imaging department about my valve and I got a print out from Edwards Lifesciences about MRI and the valve. There was no issue with the MRI. I have sternal wires and they were no problem either.

One of my pacing wires had to be left in also, and it always worries me if I ever need an MRI. There is not supposed to be a problem with sternal wires or even a mechanical vale, but pacing wires go straight to the heart.

Has not been a problem for me, people with pacemakers seem to cope too. Just advise the operators at the facility.

Mechanical valves these days are ceramic (pyrolytic carbon) and would be invisible (because they do not conduct) but have compounds mixed in to allow them to be seen in an MRI and xray. Oddly its the tissue prosthetic valves at have metal in them. (Pig Bovine and pericardium)

The medical imaging people see dozens of patients daily and if they had a problem they would already know about it. This is not ground breaking stuff and literally millions of patients have gone and done this before you

You'll be right :)

Hmmm, okay I have an On-X valve, an aortic graft, and the sternal wires... But I also have an atrial appendage clip on my heart. Anybody know what that clip would be made of, or what that might mean for an MRI? I've had a few X-rays already and no mention was made of it. It does show up very bright on the X-ray so my guess is it's metallic of some sort? Any guesses...

Hi

almost_hectic;n860465 said:
... But I also have an atrial appendage clip on my heart. Anybody know what that clip would be made of, or what that might mean for an MRI? I've had a few X-rays already and no mention was made of it. It does show up very bright on the X-ray so my guess is it's metallic of some sort? Any guesses...

well I don't "know" but as the sternal wires are stainless steel wires (quite substantial when you hold them in your hand as I have) and as they don't seem to cause any grief with any MRI I have had. I would expect the stent would be the same.

People have stents ... if it was a serious issue they would probably be warned about their stent and MRI. So I suppose that its not any issue. Again I'd just mention it to the operators (who ask questions herein Australia) and see what they say ...

Curious, I googled it and found this as the first link:

http://circ.ahajournals.org/content/116/24/2878.full

The majority of prosthetic heart valves and annuloplasty rings that have been tested have been labeled as “MR safe”; the remainder of heart valves and rings that have been tested have been labeled as “MR conditional.”[SUP]1[/SUP] On the basis of the above studies and findings, the presence of a prosthetic heart valve or annuloplasty ring that has been formally evaluated for MR safety should not be considered a contraindication to an MR examination at 3 T or less (and possibly even 4.7 T in some cases) any time after implantation. MR examination of patients with sternal wires is generally considered to be safe.

if you open that link, look for the words "MR unsafe" (omit the quotes) ... almost nothing modern, but what is there is clear.

Count me in as another member who has had 2 MRI's with a bioprosthetic valve and have some 'left over wiring' in me. It wasn't an issue. Good luck with your upcoming MRI

Thanks all for your comments. Hey Ottagal, would your “"left over wiring"” (funny) be abandoned pacing wires? I’m not too concerned about the sternum wires because they’re over tough tissue (bone/cartilage). Those pesky temporary pacing wires attach to my heart, albeit they’ve never given me any grief

Just reading through this thread and appreciating the good information. When there's a choice, I prefer MRI to CT and I may need a surgery for frozen shoulder. Glad to know MRIs will still be an option once I get a new valve.

I’ve had internal temporary pacing wires since 1982. I’ve had several MRIs over the years and never experienced a problem. In 2015, I went in for an MRI on my knee. The health paperwork asked if I had a pacemaker or pacing wires. I checked yes, and circled pacing wires. They would not do an MRI. (I’m in the US). They explained that the electrical current can go through the wires and burn your heart. I have not been able to find a hospital that will do an MRI on me knowing that I have pacing wires. Luckily, I never had a problem with the half a dozen or more MRIs I had in the past with the wires.

I had an MRI last week on my knee (after a long battle with the morons they employ in reception) and I died.
Yep, my valve locked up as predicted by the (DADS) recpitionist and I went into cardiac arrest before anyone knew. I passed away quietly.

(*not)

I had an MRI last week on my knee (after a long battle with the morons they employ in reception) and I died.
Yep, my valve locked up as predicted by the (DADS) recpitionist and I went into cardiac arrest before anyone knew. I passed away quietly.

(*not)
The "not" means you're joking right?

I've had two MRIs on my shoulders, an MRI on my sternum and a cardiac MRI all since getting my prosthetic valve. My valve is tissue but there is a metal in the ring part and there are metal wires around my sternum. The temporary pacing wires dissolve as far as I know, but regardless I've never had a problem with the MRIs. Each time I take along the print out from Edwards which details that the valve is conditional and details those conditions for the MRI technician. Last time they also wanted to see the little card that I carry detailing the make and type of valve I have.

I’ve had internal temporary pacing wires since 1982. I’ve had several MRIs over the years and never experienced a problem. In 2015, I went in for an MRI on my knee. The health paperwork asked if I had a pacemaker or pacing wires. I checked yes, and circled pacing wires. They would not do an MRI. (I’m in the US). They explained that the electrical current can go through the wires and burn your heart. I have not been able to find a hospital that will do an MRI on me knowing that I have pacing wires. Luckily, I never had a problem with the half a dozen or more MRIs I had in the past with the wires.

(*not)
So glad you are still with us. Yes, those lady receptionists can be more than a pain in the butt, in any country. Hope the cardios can fix that valve up for you. You are in no hurry for another cardiac event. Hugs for today.

Latest posts

Back