Most Important Things to Bring

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Unicusp

The absolute most important 2 things to bring to the hospital are: Ear Plugs and Eye Shades/Sleep Mask. You'll want reusable and plugs stringed together. See 3M. Have them delivered to you in ICU as soon as you wake up. Put them on and rest. Huge improvement in recovery. Then have the following delivered to your private room; PJ pants, Robe, and full coverage slippers. That's all you'll need. Of course you can decide what electronic devices should be brought.

What do you mean 'have them delivered'?

You'll need a friend to hold them and bring to you in ICU. If you are alone, I'm sure you can ask one of the nurses to hold and bring for you.

Well darn, standing joke with my family....” make sure Mom has her lipstick”

As for other things...no one sleeps well after surgery in a hospital. by the time I could sleep, it was time to go home. Personally, ear plugs would not have worked for me because I hear my valve echo too much. My iPad was nice to have,

With the nurse's/doctors/etc coming to take blood, give me shots, poke & prod me like every single hour I was there I don't think earplugs or eyeshades would have made much diff LOL...

With the nurse's/doctors/etc coming to take blood, give me shots, poke & prod me like every single hour I was there I don't think earplugs or eyeshades would have made much diff LOL...
What hospital were you in?

What hospital were you in?

Don't see how the hospital makes any diff, but if my experience differs from others here perhaps it was due to the fact that my AVR was done as part of succumbing to a major heart attack, having emergency OHS, getting a double bypass & the AVR all at the same time. I was in the hospital about 2 weeks b4 I was "well" enough to go home (& was 5 months b4 I could get back to my demanding job, although even with that I was not physically up to it yet really).

I think it does matter. The Cleveland Clinic makes a concerted effort to group things together to maximize a longer period of rest between all of the visits/intrusions. I'd say minimum of 4 hour periods. They've improved since my last visit in 2013.
Of course this is not in the ICU where you are monitored 24/7. I kept my plugs in and shades on. Made a big difference. But, I've also done significant International travel over the years and got used to wearing them and sleeping on flights.

For the same reason they have to wake you up to take a sleeping pill. . . "That's how we do it here."

Honestly, I became so tired of finger-sticks for INR testing that I finally told them "If you don't stop that right now, I'm going to go out in the hallway and cry as loud as I can. Nobody wants to see an old man out in the hallway crying. Won't look good on you." They became a bit more considerate after that.

A couple of things that mattered to me:
1. Glasses or reading glasses, if you need them. Maybe even spares.
2. Cell phone, tablet AND CHARGERS. Maybe also an extension cord.

Things that didn't really matter to me:
1. mp3 or music player and earphones. I just didn't care to listen.
2. Books or e-reader. Same reason. Also, I really couldn't concentrate.
3. Favorite snack foods. I had little appetite, and almost everything tasted the same -- like industrial chemicals. It took weeks after surgery before my sense of taste returned to normal. Until then, if we fumbled upon something that tasted "good" to me, my wife stocked up. I ate tons of vanilla wafers and drank lots of ginger ale for the first few weeks.

Latest posts

Back