Moses Cone Hospital and Consumer Reports Rating

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tigerlily

In the July issue of Consumer Reports, they had an article called Heart Surgery Safety Guide. In that article, they rated hospitals based on such factors as survival and complications rates. The data was provided by the Society of Thoracic Surgeons, the professional group that represents heart surgeon and it covered two of the most common type of heart surgeries including aortic valve replacement. The only hospital in NC that made the list with better than expected ratings was Moses Cone in Greensboro. The grades given were either: worse than expected, as expected and better than expected in two areas, coronary artery bypass surgery and aortic valve replacement surgery. I'm starting to look for a hospital and surgeon to replace my first aortic tissue valve. Has anyone here had heart surgery at Moses Cone? I'm not sure what to make of this.

If they don't tell you how they determine "expected" the ratings are not worth much. Why believe Consumer Reports or any other ratings? I'd take a recommendation from a trusted cardiologist, or your last surgeon over Consumer Reports. They have direct experience with people with your condition and with the hospitals in your area. Talk to your friends. I've found Consumer Reports ratings on products, especially cars to be biased or not really much difference between the products even with a different score.

If they don't tell you how they determine "expected" the ratings are not worth much. Why believe Consumer Reports or any other ratings? I'd take a recommendation from a trusted cardiologist, or your last surgeon over Consumer Reports. They have direct experience with people with your condition and with the hospitals in your area. Talk to your friends. I've found Consumer Reports ratings on products, especially cars to be biased or not really much difference between the products even with a different score.

Thanks Tom, I was hoping the post might get responded to from someone who has had surgery there but also, just interested in what people had to say. Your thoughts are valid. Not necessarily going there just curious about what people here thought. I've gotten one opinion about how to go about my second surgery by a surgeon I trust but since this surgery will be more complicated just by the fact that it's my second time, I was looking for some place not too far away to get a second opinion. I'm near Duke and while I know some people here have had good experiences with them, I haven't. I wish I could say that I had because it would simplify things a lot for me. I know they are also rated highly by a number of sources. My cardiologist is Okay but I'm not so impressed that I would necessarily take his advice. I had my first surgery where he practices now but the reputation at his hospital isn't as good as it use to be.

Latest posts

Back