More on Imported Prescriptions...

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tobagotwo

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
This time from India, rather than China. Ranbaxy exports hundreds of different prescription medication types at discount prices to the United States and elsewhere. Many of their plants have never been visited by the FDA, and many products currently being sold here have never even been assayed for quality yet, mostly due to a lack of money provided by the Administration to hire inspectors at the FDA.

Because of safety and efficacy issues being brought forth, a concerted effort is being brought to bear by the FDA to inspect the Ranbaxy products, among others. They've really just begun to wade through the hundreds of pharmaceuticals, and the article relates some of what they've found so far.

The consistent production of prescription drugs and even food products seems out of reach for cultures that have not developed mature models of manufacturing practices and cultural responsibilities. The US and some European countries try to impose manufacuring requirements from a distance, but it has only a limited effect. Many plants in underdeveloped countries still operate under marching orders based on sheer profit that encourage plant managers to cut corners. Some maintain a "close enough is good enough" or even a "Who's going to know?" attitude about their products, and often shrug at corruption in responsible governing and inspection agencies, considering it part of doing business. Most still don't consider themselves responsible to ensure the quality of the raw materials that they obtain to go into their products.

Almost paradoxically, many top American pharmaceutical companies feel driven to use or develop manufacturing sites in these areas to cut costs.

http://www.fda.gov/bbs/topics/NEWS/2008/NEW01886.html

Best wishes,

Thanks for the infomation. Saw this on ABC News last night.
So glad I'm not on any of those meds. But still have to keep on eye on what's going on with the drug industry & FDA. Scary when it has to do with drugs that you have to have.

If both U.S. and Canada are importing these drugs from these 'questionable' locations, why is it okay for us to buy them in only U.S........ not in Canada? Sounds like the same drugs to me. :eek: They are no safer if bought in U.S.

My Husband and I live on SS and Allan is on many, many medications..we hit the doughnut hole on Medicare part D and the 100% out of pocket costs for medications gave us no choice but to order some of our medications from India..so far the only one has been Plavix which is available in a generic everywheres but here in the USA. The Generic Plavix was $56 (including shipping) for a 3 month supply.. here Plavix would have cost us $123 for a 30 day supply. Allan has taken it now for the past 2 months with no problem..we assume it is not ground up Curry Powder :) BTW Plavix WAS available for a short time here in the USA..but then the Drug company decided to sue over the patent and the generic was no longer available.
Joan

Joan

If both U.S. and Canada are importing these drugs from these 'questionable' locations, why is it okay for us to buy them in only U.S........ not in Canada? Sounds like the same drugs to me. :eek: They are no safer if bought in U.S.

well, yeah, I agree. What's the problem. I don't hear of people in these other countries dying from bad drugs - we have people right here dying from our own, don't we?

Latest posts

Back