MOO is Twelve!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

epstns

Premium User
Supporting Member
I've been "away" for a while, dealing with a couple of other issues. Getting old is a bummer, but it sure does beat the alternative!

In case you don't remember, I've named my Edwards Bovine Pericardial Aortic Valve "MOO." Moo was implanted on February 28, 2011, in a really rocky journey. At the time, I claimed to be the Poster Boy for post-op complications. I had the valve replaced, a bypass, and ultimately a pacemaker -- all within one week. Lots of other issues, too. It took quite a while to get all the bugs worked out of that new system, but ultimately we did.

Well, I am coming up now on 13 years. I just had my semi-annual consultation with my trusty and favorite cardio, along with my annual echo. I couldn't have asked for a better summary. All things are doing fine. My valve and bypass "look as good now as they did when first done." My pacemaker (second one) still has a couple of years' battery life remaining and its leads are doing fine.

I still get to the gym 5 days a week, but have had to reduce my exercise intensity a bit, as the years advance. I have had a couple of surprised along the way, but life is good. When I asked my cardio what the current opinions are on the service lifespan of my generation of Edwards valves, he indicated that we still don't know, as they are mostly just going along fine so far.

I'll have to peek around to see how many of the old-timers are still posting here. Any who see this, PM me just to let me know you're here!

Great to hear from you! It’s so reassuring that we can always depend on this wed site for sound advice and member experience's to help us with this journey.

Excellent news, Steve! I had similar fun in hospital: having gone in by ambulance as an emergency case, I spent 25 days in care in total, ending up with a mechanical valve, bypass and pacemaker. The bypass wasn't strictly needed at the time, but the surgeon said "we might as well whilst we're in here" as it was going to need doing at some point.

In October last year, when I went in for the second pacemaker to be swapped in to replace the going-flat first one, the surgeon asked me some questions about the initial pacemaker operation and I said it was very much the "B movie" of my hospital experience, and I didn't remember much about it at all! (Frankly the second one was a piece of cake too). They didn't even need me to stop taking Warfarin!

Looking forward to your future updates.

I've been "away" for a while, dealing with a couple of other issues. Getting old is a bummer, but it sure does beat the alternative!

In case you don't remember, I've named my Edwards Bovine Pericardial Aortic Valve "MOO." Moo was implanted on February 28, 2011, in a really rocky journey. At the time, I claimed to be the Poster Boy for post-op complications. I had the valve replaced, a bypass, and ultimately a pacemaker -- all within one week. Lots of other issues, too. It took quite a while to get all the bugs worked out of that new system, but ultimately we did.

Well, I am coming up now on 13 years. I just had my semi-annual consultation with my trusty and favorite cardio, along with my annual echo. I couldn't have asked for a better summary. All things are doing fine. My valve and bypass "look as good now as they did when first done." My pacemaker (second one) still has a couple of years' battery life remaining and its leads are doing fine.

I still get to the gym 5 days a week, but have had to reduce my exercise intensity a bit, as the years advance. I have had a couple of surprised along the way, but life is good. When I asked my cardio what the current opinions are on the service lifespan of my generation of Edwards valves, he indicated that we still don't know, as they are mostly just going along fine so far.

I'll have to peek around to see how many of the old-timers are still posting here. Any who see this, PM me just to let me know you're here!
Hey Steve! Congrats on #12! It’s good to know that you are doing well. My own “moo-er” turns 18 pretty soon. My aging knees give me grief- - not my valve!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back