Moderate regurgutation after mitral valve repair

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Solar Rays

I had mitral valve repair 3 years ago. Since then, each echocardiogram shows moderate regurgitation. I am checked to be sure the heart doesn't enlarge. Have any of you experienced this?

My wife had a MV repair (a commissurotomy), together with a Ross procedure, and the repair lasted only 3 years. It was still leaking some (don't remember the severity of the leak) immediately after surgery and we were told the leakage should improve over time but it didn't (they should have brought her back in the operating room and fixed it then but that's another story). She then had her MV replaced 3 years after the failed repair.

1) Do the echo reports indicate the regurgitation is progressing?
2) Did the echo immediately after surgery (before discharge) show any regurgitation?
3) What does your surgeon/cardio say about it?

I had a repair to address severe mitral stenosis in 2002. Since then I have had moderate mitral regurgitation and moderate mitral stenosis. I get an echo and have a cardiologist consult annually to monitor the valve area and ejection fraction, and yes they look for enlargement and take measurements. A couple times they've switched two every six months or done a TEE when they were concerned about the results, but so far those mini scares have confirmed things are still ok.

My left atrium is severely enlarged but they don't seem to mind that. My understanding is they are looking for left ventricle enlargement as a sign to do additional tests and consider surgery, even in the absence of symptoms. One of my husband's employees stopped going to annual appointments a few years after mitral repair; she did get that ventricular enlargement and that damage to the ventricle was not reversible or treatable. So it is important to keep up with those screenings.

I had mitral valve repair 3 years ago. Since then, each echocardiogram shows moderate regurgitation. I am checked to be sure the heart doesn't enlarge. Have any of you experienced this?

I had a MV repair almost 13 years ago. I am at mild/mod for many years now. No panic from my cardio.

Back