Moderate Regurg, BAV

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jmprosser.lab

Hi everyone,

Was recently told by my cardio that at age 28 I have moderate regurg. A different cardio at another place said I was mild to moderate.

Was as wondering if anyone knows anys articles showing average age bav requires replacement? My cardio said most likely between 40s-60s? He said that’s still a good bet for me despite being currently moderate.

Does this matter? I’ve been mild to mod most of my life so it appears to be progressing slowly? Just really want another 10 or so years before the surgery. I know numbers are good but it still scares me.

I read a paper on autopsies done on Italians who died due to untreated BAV. The ages ranged from about 16 to 80 with the median being 55. That's the year I had mine replaced and per the surgeon it was on its last legs.

Don't know if literature would distinguish between stenosis and insufficiency. By your profile, likely aortic root dilation is causing valve insufficiency. Looking back, I wonder if some betablockers might reduce pressures on aorta, and slow growth to action threshold, thus delaying need for surgery. Might be something to query your cardio... betablockers are cheaper entertainment than the movies too!

Reactions: Eva
Back