Mobile Apps for INR monitoring and Warfarin Reminders

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vivekd

I'm looking for some good iPhone apps for INR logging and monitoring. Please share your experience with mobile apps for warfarin or pill reminders as well.

Thanks,
--- Vivek

Hi

as a software developer I steer clear of apps for the fundamental reason that I want to keep my data to my self and I want it 100% secure. What if you lose your phone or the developer goes down the gurgler? Where will your data be then?

I use my own spreadsheet for monitoring my INR and I have that backed up using Dropbox (so it is thus distributed across 3 machines (in two physical locations) and on the WWW. I can then add graphs and charts and do much more than any app I've ever seen. Google Sheets is another good solution.

I totally can't come at iPhone, so take this for what its worth, but in my review of apps for iPhone I found OAT looked pretty good.

I set a reminder on my phone as just an alarm at 7pm and I use a pill box. I do it that way because I know from experience that if I'm busy I'll silenc the alarm and move on and thus forget. Having a day distribution pill box means that I can actually see my pill box some time later in the evening (I leave it where I sit at the table) and then get a physical reminder by looking at it and seeing "oh yeah, I didn't take that at 7pm cos I was on the phone (you know, that device giving you the reminder).

If all things go well I'll be developing an app (sorry, it'll be for Android as I want to help lower socioeconomic nations too) which will address all my concerns about apps.

Let me know if you want some suggestions for your google sheet ...

Hi Pellicle,

I wanted to look at these apps, so that I can create an app or a webapp (being a software developer myself) to monitor INR.

I've used OAT book for a number of years now. It tracks my results and also has a daily reminder to take my medicine (which is good when I'm traveling).

Its only for registered users of the Coaguchek service but Coagucheklink.com is what i Use to record all my results and it charts and tracks everything even makes cool charts, even notifies my cardiologist if Im ever out of out of therapeutic range. They however do not as of yet have a mobile app, just the web portal.

Vivek,
if you want to buy a self INR kit (Coagucheck XS). you can get it from india. It is much cheaper there. it cost me 25000 Indian Rupees ($400+) including Kit + 24 strips.

In the US, if you go through insurance, the meter is usually free, but you pay for the strips. They won't give you the meter or strips w/o a prescription.

You may not be allowed to self-manage. My doctor will take results from a service or from me directly, but they tell me the dosage and write the warfarin prescriptions. Some doctors will let you self-manage, but not all.

I use an Android phone. I've been monitoring my INR since 2009, using an Excel spreadsheet. I should be saving all updates to Dropbox or another Cloud storage provider, but don't always do this.
One advantage to keeping your own record is that if you switch doctors, you can show the spreadsheet as evidence that you know how to run the test, how to record the results and, perhaps, how to manage your dosing.

I've been experimenting with lots of mobile apps and plan to summarize my findings pretty soon.

o Body Temperature monitoring
o Weight monitoring
o Blood Pressure monitoring
o Pill Reminder and Management
o INR monitoring
o myChart to manage appointments, test results
o pharmacy app (CVS)
o onenote to sync excel sheets

Looking forward to seeing your findings.

[soapbox]
It is interesting to see how far we need to go to get a central paitent record in the US. In the early 90's I worked for a company that sold IT services and software to hospitals. The concept of a central paitent health record was vaild, but the FUD (Fear, Uncertainly, and Doubt) keep it from being implemented. Fast forward 20 years and with the advancements in technology and the desire to collect data on us so they can sell us better ads, we collect a ton of data but still do not have good solutions that focus on our needs.

[/soapbox ]

Using excel joined with cloud storage (Dropbox) is a good solution, but it is not integrated with the milpital portals our health care providers have. The responsibility is on us to make Doctor A knows what Doctor B has prescribed or done to you.

Gook luck with your search for a solution.

I've started using following devices and apps (on iPhone) post aortic valve replacement surgery. I sync up all the results from different apps/devices to Apple Health.
Also, planning to get medical alert next week. Medic Alert also offers 1-800 number so that emergency personnel can call that to get additional details about doctors/medicines etc for the medic alert holder.
Hope it is helpful for other members.

Thanks,
--- Vivek

Vivek - Great list - thanks for sharing it. With 10 days post OHS I am also looking into this. I hope I can get as soon as posssible to INR self measurement.

Juergen

Latest posts

Back