Mitral Valves - Dual Surgery

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello Everyone

Hope the new year is well for all. Sorry we are connecting over such scary issues)

I have moderate aortic stenosis and mild mitral valve regurgitation.

My doctors here in Thailand are suggesting, at little added cost that they could probably replace both valves together either via open heart surgery. They also said if they see any blocked arteries they can repair those as well. If you are opened up they can see things they never saw before and make some new decisions. I have also heart that dual mitral valve and aortic valve TAVI/TAVR is or will be available to me soon. Anyone know more ?

Cost is an issue as pre existing conditions are not covered in Asia where I live. so I probably pay 100% for all cardiac work.

Trying to make a tough decision wether to go back to the states or not before my cardiac conditions decline more--tricky as I am 58 no wife, kids, girlfriend family etc I can count on nor do I have a career, home in the USA, pension etc etc

Anyone have further thoughts, similiar experiences to share, wisdom etc etc I am all ears.

Peace and good vibes from Thailand Dave aka California native

Attachments

• 24thMay2020Photos-116.jpg
    24thMay2020Photos-116.jpg
    580.7 KB · Views: 146
From what I know, they do not operate on valves that have a mild regurgitation, they only operate on a serious regurgitation , except that there are symptoms, you may need to get a second opinion.

Instead of the United States, where healthcare is damned expensive, you might visit Canada or the U.K. I'm not sure of residency requirements to get health care in those countries, or how long you'll have to wait to be seen (unless it's an emergency), but this may be a better alternative (although probably not extremely fair to either country).

Instead of the United States, where healthcare is damned expensive, you might visit Canada or the U.K. I'm not sure of residency requirements to get health care in those countries, or how long you'll have to wait to be seen (unless it's an emergency), but this may be a better alternative (although probably not extremely fair to either country).

I have free insurance in California. I live in Asia now. I am an American from California.

I have moderate aortic stenosis and mild mitral valve regurgitation.
If/when you need intervention on your AV (when it becomes severe or you have other indications), with a good surgeon, your MV regurgitation may be able to be repaired rather than replaced. I wouldn't think they would touch it though if it's still mild.
My doctors here in Thailand are suggesting, at little added cost that they could probably replace both valves together either via open heart surgery.
Did they say they can replace both valves together from a clinical or just a financial standpoint? I would be concerned if it was just the later.
They also said if they see any blocked arteries they can repair those as well. If you are opened up they can see things they never saw before and make some new decisions.
Cardiac catheterization can be used before and during heart valve surgery to understand the anatomy and surgical approach. This would also identify if there are any blockages.
Trying to make a tough decision wether to go back to the states or not before my cardiac conditions decline more--tricky as I am 58 no wife, kids, girlfriend family etc I can count on nor do I have a career, home in the USA, pension etc etc
Perhaps you can look for a hotel or apartment close by the hospital to spend some time after your surgery to recuperate until you are ready to go back home. Agree, it would be tough to do it by yourself, especially the first few days/weeks afterwards, as you may need help bathing, dressing, changing/dressing wounds, getting around, etc.

Last edited:
If/when you need intervention on your AV (when it becomes severe or you have other indications), with a good surgeon, your MV regurgitation may be able to be repaired rather than replaced. I wouldn't think they would touch it though if it's still mild.

Did they say they can replace both valves together from a clinical or just a financial standpoint? I would be concerned if it was just the later.

Cardiac catheterization can be used before and during heart valve surgery to understand the anatomy and surgical approach. This would also identify if there are any blockages.

Perhaps you can look for a hotel or apartment close by the hospital to spend some time after your surgery to recuperate until you are ready to go back home. Agree, it would be tough to do it by yourself, especially the first few days/weeks afterwards, as you may need help bathing, dressing, changing/dressing wounds, getting around, etc.
It is what it is I've been single it alone all my life. My biggest decision is whether to stay in a jar go back to America I'm also trying to get some testing to determine what's the origin of my chest pain. I don't have regular housing in America either scientists and what you're saying in Thailand it would be easy to hire help to help me out.

MILD mitral valve regurgitation is a common echo finding and will most probably never progress to moderate level in your entire life (if your valve is structurally fine).

It is what it is I've been single it alone all my life. My biggest decision is whether to stay in a jar go back to America I'm also trying to get some testing to determine what's the origin of my chest pain. I don't have regular housing in America either scientists and what you're saying in Thailand it would be easy to hire help to help me out.

Wow thanks amazing I needed to hear that

I've had moderate or mod-severe mitral stenosis for 18 years now (post-repair) and my new cardiologist recently said it may NEVER progress. I'm hoping you like living in Thailand, since you are there. If you can afford the surgery and recovery in Thailand (don't forget you'll be out of work as well as needing to hire help), and if you have identified a capable surgeon and cardiologist, perhaps you should set aside the money in case surgery is needed and just carry on in Thailand.

It seems like a lot of disruption to move across the ocean for an eventuality that may never happen with timing that is inherently unpredictable.

I like living here but also hate it in many ways but insurance does NOT cover pre existing conditions so I may be moving back to the States ASAP--which I dread. I have moderate aortic stenosis, hypertension, mildly high LDL, low HDL, mild left ventricle hypertrophy, a family history of sudden cardiac arrest including a brother dead at 46, a calcification score of 684 in 2012 when I was 49, and a Lp(a) score of 264 in 2019. I did change to low fat vegan diet in 2020 which got me down to one blood pressure drug a day...All blood work, blood pressure etc etc is great but I still have 2 bad valves, a bad heart and a crazy bad family history . I am 58, utterly alone which sucks....I also have other chronic non cardiac health issues that degrade my quality of life + major depression, anxiety, sleep issues, lonelyness, lack of family or a partner..I have never had a career so work doesn't apply...I inherited money, invested in wisely, lived cheaply so sure I could afford a surgery here..Lots to consider...I have no home or family in the USA by the way so yeh starting over in the states--I dread it for a number of reasons

I've had moderate or mod-severe mitral stenosis for 18 years now (post-repair) and my new cardiologist recently said it may NEVER progress. I'm hoping you like living in Thailand, since you are there. If you can afford the surgery and recovery in Thailand (don't forget you'll be out of work as well as needing to hire help), and if you have identified a capable surgeon and cardiologist, perhaps you should set aside the money in case surgery is needed and just carry on in Thailand.

It seems like a lot of disruption to move across the ocean for an eventuality that may never happen with timing that is inherently unpredictable.
Hey there a bit of a delayed response I have a good heart doctor but he only does the Tavor doesn't do the regular open heart surgery but I think I found somebody to do that I'm also looking at going to a government hospital or a cheaper Private Hospital I do like living here overall especially compared to America. I'm lucky I've inherited a lot of money at liftgate Off the Grid and I invested it wisely so I don't need to work anymore

Latest posts

Back