Mitral Valve surgery scheduled for Dec.17th

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cp172

Hi Guys,

My surgery has been scheduled for December 17th. My heart has been in Wenckeybach rhythm (very regular irregular beat) for several weeks. Surgery will be done through the chest (full cut) and a tissue valve will be installed. If possible the surgeon plans to do a maze. I expect to be in the hospital 9 days if all goes well. I pray the surgery solves the valve and rhythm issue. I can not wait to get off amiodarone! I welcome any advice on what to expect.

Thanks,

Mickey

Mickey
Hi. What valve did you select? Sutureless self deploying valves ( I have ), are shown to have a 25% increase for development of thrombosis on valve leaflets. Choose wisely with your surgeon.
In my case, I had two strokes last year, less then 6 months post op from surgery. And another in October 2020 while on anticoagulant therapy. What center are you at? A big one, I pray. Houston, Cleveland, Lahey, Duke, Stanford have excellent surgeons. Clinical presentation and outcomes of adults with bicuspid aortic valves: 2020 update

Mickey
Hi. What valve did you select? Sutureless self deploying valves ( I have ), are shown to have a 25% increase for development of thrombosis on valve leaflets. Choose wisely with your surgeon.
In my case, I had two strokes last year, less then 6 months post op from surgery. And another in October 2020 while on anticoagulant therapy. What center are you at? A big one, I pray. Houston, Cleveland, Lahey, Duke, Stanford have excellent surgeons. Clinical presentation and outcomes of adults with bicuspid aortic valves: 2020 update

Hi Maineiacs,

The surgeon (nationally known and respected) will be installing a tissue valve which was recommended by my electrophysiologist, cardiologist and the surgeon providing the first opinion. The surgery will be done at Piedmont Hospital in Atlanta. I have enough confidence in my surgeon to let him select the valve. Are the sutureless valves used just for transcath procedures ?

I am sorry to hear about your problems. I hope you are doing well now.

Thanks,

Mickey

Thanks for your comment. Guess you have more than one finger after all.
I certainly do

And if I was inclined to pray for you I certainly wouldn't tell you I was doing so

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/16569567/
Complications occurred in 59% (352/601) of patients certain of receiving intercessory prayer compared with the 52% (315/604) of those uncertain of receiving intercessory prayer​

However I don't beg for anything from the creator of the universe, what I was born with and what I have developed of my own accord is all I need. Strength comes from within.

Marcus-Aurelius-Quote-2.jpg

Best Wishes

Hi Maineiacs,

The surgeon (nationally known and respected) will be installing a tissue valve which was recommended by my electrophysiologist, cardiologist and the surgeon providing the first opinion. The surgery will be done at Piedmont Hospital in Atlanta. I have enough confidence in my surgeon to let him select the valve. Are the sutureless valves used just for transcath procedures ?

Thanks,

Mickey
I’m so glad your in great hands. Valve selection is key, especially if your young ((65<). If you would be so inclined to show him the article via patient portal or mail it? I would sleep better.
The TAVR procedure, as of now, isn’t approved for self deployable valves. But the good news is my large valve was selected for that very reason. When if or ever I need another valve, they will do a TAVR.
Keep us posted.
Recliner
Pillows
Blood pressure monitor
Fluids
Family and Friends

Stacy from Maine

Hi Maineiacs,

Thanks,

Mickey
Dr Dean is outstanding!
Stacy Dean Seymour

I certainly do

And if I was inclined to pray for you I certainly wouldn't tell you I was doing so

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/16569567/
Complications occurred in 59% (352/601) of patients certain of receiving intercessory prayer compared with the 52% (315/604) of those uncertain of receiving intercessory prayer​

However I don't beg for anything from the creator of the universe, what I was born with and what I have developed of my own accord is all I need. Strength comes from within.

View attachment 887473

Best Wishes

I will take the best wishes. As for the intercessory prayer...no child gets everything he/she wants from his Father but the Father appreciates his child asking. I am way over my head on this subject. As I said thanks for the Best Wishes. I will also see if I can find some inner strength to spring up.

Mickey

I’m so glad your in great hands. Valve selection is key, especially if your young ((65<). If you would be so inclined to show him the article via patient portal or mail it? I would sleep better.
The TAVR procedure, as of now, isn’t approved for self deployable valves. But the good news is my large valve was selected for that very reason. When if or ever I need another valve, they will do a TAVR.
Keep us posted.
Recliner
Pillows
Blood pressure monitor
Fluids
Family and Friends

Stacy from Maine

Stacy,

FYI..I am about to turn 66 and should the mitral valve need replacing in the future they will do a TMVR. Thanks for the check list. Stay warm in Maine. Its freezing here at 50 degrees. So cold!

Surgery was completed Dec.17 and was complicated. . Maze was not done. Tubes removed few minutes ago and all I have is main line in case I need IV. Thanks for all your support.

Last edited:
Just was discharged from hospital. Waiting on wife to pick me up.
Thanks for everyone’s kind comments.

Mickey

Latest posts

Back