Mitral valve and heart beats

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
W

wnickles

Another weird question here.... Right now if I listen with a stethoscope my heart beating sounds like a wash machine. After surgery will it sound like a normal heart beat or will that swishing sound still be occuring???

not sure .. do you have a repair of replacement?

mine sounds like a pop with each beat.. my valve is mostly gortex now and it seals so tightly that it pops open..
sounds pretty funky

it also depends on the stethoscope that you use. after i had my surgery i listened to my heart with a cheap stethoscope and it did sounds kind of like a regular heart beat. however one of the nurses let me listen at my cardiologists office with a more expensive stethoscope and it sounded like a watch ticking really fast and in the background you could hear the blood flowing. the difference amazed me.

My cardio let me

My cardio let me

listen to my heart before my surgery - it sounded like a dishwasher!! I couldn't believe it. He said a normal heart makes a "lub-dub" sound - which it does and now my heart goes lub-dub. Yay!!

All my life I always wondered why general practitioners and other docs would always comment on the loudness of my murmur. Now I know. :(

Christina L

I will have surgery on MOnday. The goal is to repair it, but if they can't then it will be a mechanical valve. They believe it can be repaired, but said they don't know for sure until they are in surgery. Currently it has that dishwasher sound going on. Am looking for that lub dub one after everytihng is done.....

Aha!...
I remember that dishwasher sound...
Now that I have had surgery I have to grab one of the kids to hear it...
My dishwasher heart noise was a murmur and boy was it noisy...
I reckon it was a very swooshy noise...
It was/is also the same murmur 2 of my kids have with thweir bicuspid aortic valves...
A normal heart sounds rather quiet compared to the dishwasher noise...so get ready for a big change come Monday!...
All the very best for Monday...will be waiting to hear how well you are doing.

My mitral valve is VERY swishy. When my daughter was a newborn (18 yr.ago) those heartbeat recordings did nothing to soothe her. I decided to try an ocean waves tape instead and she conked right out. The swishing sounds of the waves breaking were exactly what she had been listening to for 9 months when my heart was beating! I always think of that when I'm having my Doppler echoes. She still loves the ocean today - I like to think that my weird heartbeat was better than those Mozart tapes they use nowadays.

Peg
severe 4+ regurgitation - waiting on Cleveland Clinic

Latest posts

Back