mitral and aortic regurgitation

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
T

Tereasa

Hi,I've only posted a couple of times on the board because I more or less took a break from everything for awhile...went in for a new echo test and was hoping someone could lend me a few words of advice on the results..here are some of them..mod.mitral at 37% regurg.and aortic at 35% regurg..left atrium 44mm in parasternal view and 58mm in 4 chamber view...ejection fraction at 64%..cardio doc told me all is well.. I am a bit skeptical of this..anyone have any help here..is there really nothing to worry about...thanks a bunch for your help..you are all a group of great people...

re: reg. & EF

re: reg. & EF

I was told that even if your heart was functioning at an EF of 53% your heart would be able to function adequately. I'd still keep an eye, cause you never know what changes... and how fast.

good luck :)

chrise

Hi Teresa, I'm going through the same thing as you. I've been having echo's every 6 to 9 months. I had one in July. Also similar results. 69% ejection fraction, mod to severe of the mitral, mild tricuipid, trace pulmonic and my left atrium is dialated and enlarged from 3.9 to 4.4 and the doctor says everythings ok and to call him before my next appt. (which is in January) if I show any signs of shortness of breath.
I take medications atenonol and accupril for about 1 1 /2 years. I had a mini stroke Oct of 2000 and am feeling much better now.
I've read on other sites that they like to intervene before symptoms develop. Although I've seen 3 different cardiogists. And they all share the same opinion and I also take the aspirin 325 ecotrin too. Lets keep in touch.

Hi Tereasa-- I met with my family doc last Tuesday to get a new prescription for my Coumadin. He reviewed my Echogram taken last May with me. My ejection fraction was 65. He stated anything over 60 was good. Hope this helps.

mitral & aortic regurg

mitral & aortic regurg

HI Teresa,
I have never seen percentages of regurg before, how do they caluculate that? I know you can see the regurg on the doppler but never had mine expressed in that way always on a 1+ to 4+ rating scale, or trace, mild, moderate, severe. I also have a question about the LA measurements you provided the 5.8 mm measurement sounds more like an LV measurement, I have never seen two measurements for chambers given either. Is this a new type of echo report? It seems with the percentages you can keep a closer eye on things and more definitive assessments can be made.
What was the cause of your problems?

fdeg

aortic and mital regurgition

aortic and mital regurgition

Hi to all of you and thank you for your replies and advice..I am keeping a close eye on everything and like Nancy said I figured that they like to do something about the valves before it gets too late and have to replace instead of repair..Not that I want to have to go through any surgery but would rather do a repair then replace..in answer to the question about measuring the regurgition % that has always been the normal way it is measured and that is how they determine that 1-4 number..on my echos anyways..and the left atrium was measured at both of those views...my left ventricle was measured also and that is at 58..I did alot of searching on the net and wrote down exactly what I needed measured and measuring both of those views was one of them so they really don't normally do both views..on the worksheet it doesn't show an area to write that down but it was written under other and stated on the written report.They also measured the right ventricle at both of those views..and my rv is enlarged also...so there are so many changes going on with my heart and it scares me alot..I live in the country about 40 miles out of town and it is hard to get quick response with emergency vehicles and don't want to risk anything...but from what you all say I guess I am just a little overly nervous!!But how could a doctor really expect me to believe that this is all normal and not worry about it..I am only 42...I have on other question...what does it mean when they say that the valve is sclerotic??

Anyway,thanks for your input..it is so appreciated and I will try to do what the cardio doc says and quit worrying and get on with my life...worrying isn't good either!!!

Thanks for your help!!!

Sclerotic means hardening. My valve was calcified, and so would open less and less. The cardiologist told me in technical language that my valve was opening to "a pinprick," because of the calcification.

AI. MR

AI. MR

Dear Tereasa,

Please let me apologize for spelling your name wrong in the first post.......

I have 3+ AI and mitral stenosis. It has also been noted on reports that I have aortic schlerosis, that is a slight thickening of the valve leaflets, not serious enough to be called stenosis.

I was diagnosed with rheumatic heart disease when I was 26 and I'm now 48. I still have my own valves. Regurgitant valves are better tolerated than stenotic valves, (in general). The important thing, as everyone has said is to watch for the progressive enlargement of the chambers from study to study as well as a reduction in contractility. It sounds as if your doctor is keeping a close eye on things and performing detailed echo/dopplers. How are you feeling?

fdeg

Hi Tereasa-

You have a very good attitude. Keep that worry on a "trickle charge", not in your immediate conscience, but there in sort of safe mode. Let your doctor do the worrying for you. Keep all your appts., call the doc if you feel funny, and most of all enjoy your life.

Worrying's a total waste until it's absolutely necessary, and even then what earthly good does it do. It just saps your strength and makes you miserable and sorry you wasted those precious hours.

Take care,

Back