Minimally Invasive Mitral Valve Repair/Replacement?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sherrin,

Thank you for your information. This concerns me a little. As mentioned, we were told by one surgeon that a lot of repairs are being done that should've been replacements to begin with and this has stuck with me. We've seen three surgeon. Number 1 surgeon said he didn't think a repair would hold long-term. Number 2 and 3 said they felt confident it would hold long-term. As it turns out, number 1 didn't have quite as much experience as 2 and 3, which is why I think he wasn't confident in repair. If my husband a has a simple valve problem, I wouldn't be sp concerned but his is more difficult and it does worry me. Geesh.......

Did you have and regurgitation after your repair. If so, do you know how much?

SHerrin Hutt said:
They told me at the time it could last up to 10 yrs. but that was not my case. I started having trouble amost right away but in Jan 02 I had a stroke and when they did TEE they knew it was the valve. If they had replacement the valve instead of repair I probably would not be here right now. My heart was given that time to get in a better shape. I went through cardic Rehab with oxygen because I was still not getting enough oxygen to my heart but since the replacement I have not been on oxygen. I had a pacemaker put in Oct. 2004 and still the injection fraction is low for was down to 15% now 30% but getting better with each echo. I always seem to do thing s twice. I had to valve surgeries and the first pacemaker didn't work right so they had to do it a gain. But all in all I feel great to be alive!

Hi Marty,

Thanks for your information. I'm glad to hear you had a successful replacement.

We're more confident today with the minimally invasive approach and think this is the way we'll go. The surgeon we have in mind does a ton of repairs and seems to be a very experienced and skilled surgeon. So, I will keep everyone posted on our decision. Thank you again.

Marty said:
My surgeon said he could have repaired my beat up mitral valve but I would be back on his table in two years if he did. He's been repairing and replacing mitrals for close to 20 years. You can't beat experience in this area. I had almost no pain from the sternum split and it healed well. I had a young friend who had a repair about the same time in my hospital but he had a complicated post op. It took months to get his sternum incision closed with the help of plastic surgery. If your surgeon is comfortable and experienced with minimal invasive, its probably the best way to go.

I had a trace after the replacement. That was all. I don't think that my problem had to do with the surgeon at CC. It was that my heart was the issue.

Thanks Sherrin. I've since been told that one way a surgeon knows if he has a good repair is to look at the amount of regurgitation via TEE right after the repair (and while you're still in the OR and 'open'). There should be no more than a trace, if any. If there is more than a trace then the surgeon 'should' replace the valve. This is what we were told. So..... our surgeon should know if has a good repair even before my husband wakes up.

I'm sorry your tissue did not hold up. I hope everything is working out well now. :)

SHerrin Hutt said:
I had a trace after the replacement. That was all. I don't think that my problem had to do with the surgeon at CC. It was that my heart was the issue.

Back