Minimally Invasive Aortic Valve Replacement (AVR) Procedure "The Miami Method"

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lily

Premium Level User
Minimally Invasive Aortic Valve Replacement (AVR) Procedure "The Miami Method"

I was researching a heart topic yesterday and stumbled across this interesting pdf article with illustrations and detail about Minimally Invasive Aortic Valve Replacement, something called "The Miami Method," on the Medtronic site.

http://www.medtronic.com/mics/pdf/VTG1_1.pdf

If anyone is interested in knowing some of what the Minimally Invasive procedure might entail, this quick pdf seemed to offer some brief and specific information.

And by the way it got me to wondering: Does anyone know if minimally invasive surgery is a viable option for valve replacement after a previous traditional sternum and wire OHS entry? I don't recall reading about anyone here having traditional OHS and then a later minimally invasive procedure, nor surgeries in the opposite order either.

Adding a later edit - Exclusions listed on the pdf include "redo with prior AVR."

Thanks for sharing Lily. Those are good questions that you have. I would be interested in knowing the answers to those questions as well ;). I

Hi, GREAT question Lily! I may need another surgery due to prothesis mismatch, and this looks inviting to me! I will mention it to my cardiologist to see what he thinks (still hoping I won't need the corrective surgery for a while yet).
Thanks, ~Karen

Hi Lily,

I'm really not sure about going from a traditional sternotomy to minimally invasive procedure. My Dr. however, does tell me that a re-op can be done minimally invasive again. Hope I'm making sense.

Thanks for the info.

My AVR was done minimally invasive, which means it was open chest, but with a smaller incision. My AVR incision is 3 to 3 1/2". It did not reduce blood lose or complications for me, sorry to say. This looks very hopeful. Seeing that I am still on low dose prednisone for pericarditis, I'm wondering if people such as myself would be candidates? I'll have to discuss with my cardio next time.

Joe's 3rd heart valve surgery was done iminmally invasively using the HeartPort method through the side. His other 2 were traditional sternum cracks. The 3rd surgery was to repair a mitral valve paravalvular leak around the cuff.

Hello all,

My surgery is scheduled for May 26, 2010 with Dr. Lamelas. I am 29 years old and I have a biscupid aortic valve with severe regurgitation. I will be having my aortic root fixed and I will be receiving a mechanical valve. I initially went to see Dr. Lamelas with the hope of being a candidate for minimally invasive surgery. Unfortunately my aortic root is too dilated and I will be receiving conventional open heart.

It makes me nervous just writing about it.

If you would like I would be willing to e-mail Dr. Lamelas with any questions the group here might have about the procedure he pioneered.

My best,

Jared

Hello all,

My surgery is scheduled for May 26, 2010 with Dr. Lamelas. I am 29 years old and I have a biscupid aortic valve with severe regurgitation. I will be having my aortic root fixed and I will be receiving a mechanical valve. I initially went to see Dr. Lamelas with the hope of being a candidate for minimally invasive surgery. Unfortunately my aortic root is too dilated and I will be receiving conventional open heart.

If you would like I would be willing to e-mail Dr. Lamelas with any questions the group here might have about the procedure he pioneered.

My best,

Jared

Please do if you can. We'd certainly appreciate it if you and he took the time to advance our knowledge a bit.

Jared,
It would be great if he could comment on Lily's question about his approach being a viable option after OHS via sternotomy.
Luana

Hello all,

My best,

Jared

Hi Jared,
I think most of us felt pretty nervous before surgery. I think the before part is worse than the after. Once it's over, you're bound to be feeling pretty relieved that it's behind you. Wishing you all the best!
Luana

I added an edit to the first post: Exclusions listed on the pdf include "...redo with prior AVR..."
Interesting. I wonder why.

Very interesting Lily, thank you! Am wondering why as well. Any more info on this would be greatly appreciated.

...And I'll be praying for you Jared! Try not to worry (easier said than done).
This is the best place for support, as I've found as well.

Back