Minimallly Invasive AVR

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Luana

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
I think it's about 3 inches? This was a couple months ago.

9r6340.jpg

Luana, Thats great! Mine is just about 1 inch longer, and the standard. They had to go through the sternum. I asked about the horizontal method. I saw a video , I believe his last name was Dr Brown? Anyway. he performed the surgery on an 80yr old man (AVR) with very good results. The man was still alive, and doing well three yrs later. My surgeon, just pretty much poo, pooed it. I didn't care for his bedside manner either. If I live long enough to need another surgery and it's possible, I'm going to ask the surgeon to please not go the sternal route. It took me forever to heal!

Very interesting. :) Some women have had the scar under their boobage.

I think that's mitral.

Yes, it is, Luana. Interesting term, Bina. Medical, I believe?
My scar is on the right, between the 4th and 5th ribs, about 5-6 inches long. I can't show it to you, because I've experienced 51 years of gravity, and almost all of the scar is covered by (ahem) "something".

Marcia

Wow! Your surgeon just have really small hands to fit into such a small opening. Or your skin is really elastic. (-:

FYI: At the University of Alberta, Mazankowski Center, they replaced a aortic valve using a cathedar through the groin successfully. I figure when my bovine valve warranty runs out in seventeen years, this procedure will be the standard. No more zippers in the chest.

I had minimally invasive avr for my aortic valve. In case anyone is interested in my scar, here's a picture of it 11 weeks post-op:
Scar082810a.jpg

Thanks y'all! I'm pleased with my scar since it's not near as bad as expected. I couldn't find any pictures of minimally invasive surgery scar before my surgery so I posted it here in case someone else is looking for a picture.

Sevgi,

That is a terrific looking scar! May I ask who your surgeon was? Thanks for sharing.

Take care

My surgeon was Dr. Glower @ Duke Hospital. He is the best doctor I've ever seen. Not only is he the best in his field, he knows how to treat patients. I'm so thankful my husband did the research that led me to Dr. Glower.

Back