Mild regurgitation post mitral valve repair surgery

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Solar Rays

Hello, I had mitral valve repair 15 months ago. My recent echocardiogram shows mild regurgitation. My cardiologist is not concerned and I don't have to come back or have another echo for a year. I am reassured but wondered if anyone else has had this? Thanks.

Hi Solar,

I has mitral valve repair 12 years ago. The surgeon said he did not tighten the valve to eliminate all regurgitation. I had mild regurgitation for several years after surgery and it is now modest. It does not sound like anything to be worried over as long as cardiologist is ok with echo.

Mickey

My elderly Mom’s echo did not show severity of her situation (after 4 years from Minimum Invasive OH to replace aortic) for her regurgitated Mitral that she has had for DECADES, until they did a TEE (that also revealed her damaged Aortic and Tricuspid issues.) And it wasn’t until her sternum OH 4 weeks ago, during the surgery, the doctor was prepared to either repair or replace Mitral and he went with replace Mitral as well as her failed Aortic, and repaired Tricuspid. (I suppose they don’t know true severity until after they open up.)

I’ve learned in reading forums that everyone’s situations, although similar, there are so many different variables involved for each person. But that getting pieces of information here and there from others is good to know. Therefore, in my Moms situation, the echo didn’t reveal what was really going on with her heart. TEE revealed more information. Like I said, she lived for decades with Mitral regurgitation, and at 83, it was time for replacement. She was also experiencing severe water gain at that time and congenital heart failure and was hospitalized for that for 10 days. They kept her hospitalized until the doctors got the CHF under control and rolled right into OHS. She is doing amazingly well! A true inspiration! Thanks be to God!

My elderly Mom’s echo did not show severity of her situation (after 4 years from Minimum Invasive OH to replace aortic) for her regurgitated Mitral that she has had for DECADES, until they did a TEE (that also revealed her damaged Aortic and Tricuspid issues.) And it wasn’t until her sternum OH 4 weeks ago, during the surgery, the doctor was prepared to either repair or replace Mitral and he went with replace Mitral as well as her failed Aortic, and repaired Tricuspid. (I suppose they don’t know true severity until after they open up.)

.... Like I said, she lived for decades with Mitral regurgitation, and at 83, it was time for replacement. ...
She is doing amazingly well! A true inspiration! Thanks be to God!

Glad your mom is doing ok and pray she continues to.

I, too, lived decades until I had my surgery.
My aortic regurgitation started at age 19. In my mid-30s, this regurgitation affected my Mitral Valve.
then, surgery at 57 in September 2008. Surgeon was hoping to repair my Mitral, but when he opened my sternum he found it beyond repair. So, my both valves were replaced!

Glad your mom is doing ok and pray she continues to.

I, too, lived decades until I had my surgery.
My aortic regurgitation started at age 19. In my mid-30s, this regurgitation affected my Mitral Valve.
then, surgery at 57 in September 2008. Surgeon was hoping to repair my Mitral, but when he opened my sternum he found it beyond repair. So, my both valves were replaced!
Wow! Amazing! What type of valves did they replace with?

Hello, I had mitral valve repair 15 months ago. My recent echocardiogram shows mild regurgitation. My cardiologist is not concerned and I don't have to come back or have another echo for a year. I am reassured but wondered if anyone else has had this? Thanks.
I had my repair 11 years ago. My first echo in 2010 showed mild regurg. I get an echo every year and stress test every once in a while. Still mild today in 2020. I even lost about 15 lbs since then which helped the cause..

Latest posts

Back