Migraine Magic Plus - going to try it!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TXGal

Hi everyone,

I know many of us on the forum suffer from migraines :( so I thought I'd share my new gadget!

My dad saw an ad in a magazine of this product that will lessen the pain of migraines. He knows I suffer from them quite frequently, in fact I've had 3 in the past 2 weeks since breaking my wrist! So, being the wonderful father he is, he ordered me one for Christmas and had it mailed to our house stat.

Well, I just opened it and had a nice laugh at first because it looks absolutely ridiculous :cool:, but it's definitely worth a try.. ANYTHING to help lessen my migraine.. I find myself massaging pressure points with my hands when I have migraines and it helps a lot, so hopefully this will do the work for me for a couple of minutes.

The only thing that concerns me is safety. It uses magnetic wave feelers to massage, so I have no idea if that does any harm to me? Any thoughts? This must be a new product because I only found one page with a few reviews that were good.. I haven't tried the crazy looking glasses yet, but will have them ready for my next one unless I hear that this might do some harm??

Here's a link to MIGRAINE MAGIC PLUS on the net (I did see it on amazon for a lot cheaper, no idea what he paid for it):
http://www.skymall.com/shopping/detail.htm?pid=203076288&c=10645

Has anyone tried this product or any other product that does or doesn't help for migraines?

Kristen, a massage therapist was helping my mom (years ago) and said (as she was doing it) 'by rubbing just off center by the arch of your left foot, you'll feel your headache subside'..... within minutes mom's headache was almost gone.

No one could believe it, as she too had suffered from migraines.

Do hope your wrist is feeling better.

Don't know anything about migraines, but I must have missed posts about your wrist - what did you do? and did you get checked for osteoporosis? (excuse me while I pull my soapbox out . . ). I had my first routine bone density scan done at the age of 50, and already had severe osteoporosis, and had actually already list an inch in height.

I broke my wrist this past summer, and it was a Colle's (sp?) fracture that I was told was common in women with osteoporosis (gee that's nearly as hard to type as Mississippi!!). Anyway, I'll put the soapbx away, and wish you luck with both the wrist and the migraines . .

Personally, I don't believe in magnets as therapy, a theory that was popularized by Dr. Mesmer over two centuries ago, and which has been debunked numerous times since. The magnetic therapy in this case appears to be tiny, inexpensive, permanent magnets on the ends of the massager's "magic fingers" from the picture. These are of no significance, and would hardy affect you even if you were made of iron filings. Even an MRI, which uses extremely powerful magnetic forces, is harmless (and unhelpful) to human pain.

There is controversy about migraines being caused by restricted bloodflow to the head muscles, and atypical migraines from constricted bloodflow to the eyes. However, the blood doesn't flow to the eyes from the face, so it seems unlikely facial massage would affect that flow greatly for atypicals. Whether it would be enough massage to help a standard migraine would likely depend on the individual and the migraine.

However, it might feel good anyway. It may or may not work for your migraine, but at worst it will give you something to do until the pain goes away. Just don't let the magic fingers poke you in the eye...

Best wishes,

Freddie - I will definitely try that pressure point, that will be a new one for me.. thanks for the tip!

Jeanette - I haven't posted about my wrist because it has been hard to type, lol.. :D it happened 2 weeks ago today. I was walking down my stairs at home and at the bottom my son had a somewhat deflated helium balloon and I slipped and had put my hand down to brace myself and ended up falling directly on my wrist. I have a fracture across my radius, the bone was also pushed in a little & is slanted. I had definitely planned on asking the doctor about getting a bone density test since I've been on coumadin 10 years now, but he was in such a hurry (he squeezed me in so I didn't have to wait 3 days for his next appt) that I forgot to ask him. I plan on having the test soon.. how do they test you for this?

Bob - thanks for the advice.. actually, during my migraines, if I pinch the very top of my nasal bone I feel a huge release of pressure all over my head and my headache subsides for the moment. This really does work for me.
Another thing that has helped is a form of meditation. My mother is an RN and when she was in school she took a few meditation type classes, I think mainly to use with pregnant women. There have been a few times in my life where she was around when I had a migraine and to my surprise, this really helped. The day my son was born I got a migraine just hours before his birth. My mom was able to basically calm & relax me and verbally kind of take me to a relaxed mode and my migraine subsided and I was able to be comfortable in the room where my son was born (we had a surrogate mother).. I also try to take deep breaths to help the oxygen flow..
Well, I'll try not to get poked in the eye by the magic fingers, lol.. By the way, I love your profile pic, I have 2 bostons and they are absolutely wonderful, smart dogs!

Kristen, I don't know if magnetic therapy works or not, but I used to have awful migraines during my 20s and 30s.
Lying down in a dark room and placing a warm cloth over my face would help.
I used to feel pressure in the blood vessels along my nose and temples.
And like Freddie said, accupressure type of massage (and probably accupuncture) are popular methods worth trying.
Good Luck.

Also, a few weeks ago I started a thread about Osteoporosis--- Bone Mineral Density scan and treatment.
It is a 15 minute x-ray type of deal, no prep, and now I take meds for my osteo.
Don't wait until you are 50 and menopausal, it may be too late.

Don't wait until you are 50 and menopausal, it may be too late.

Wow, thanks for the advice.. I'll definitely have a bone test done ASAP and update on the results!
I've thought about acupuncture before, I just haven't given it a try.. but when you have migraines, you're willing to try anything! So that's on my list now too to try :eek: thanks!

You should definitely give acupuncture a try. It's actually very gentle and can help with all kinds of things. Gotta get that "chi" flowing properly!

Our beloved acupuncturist lost a battle with cancer (though her best friend and similarly amazing acupuncturist moved back to town, thank goodness). She was trained in so many ways and often sent us home with magnet strips (like inside a bandaid) to keep on until they just fell off naturally. She also used a pendulum and crystals and chromotherapy (colored light). I think that we each have receptors for certain kinds of therapy, much like one kind of drug might work great for one person, and not the next (the old Advil/Tylenol which works best kind of thing). Migraines suck. They are awful. Something "out there" is bound to work for you. Going to a naturopath or acupuncturist can enlighten you to another way of thinking about the pain. Then you can gather all the info and try to help yourself. One thing I do tend to stay away from though, with my heart issues, are any of the herbs and vitamin concoctions they try to sell. I think they really believe in them and I think they make a lot of money off of them, too. Almost everything I had ever tried (until I just flat out just refuse them now) either made my heart pound uncomfortably, or gave me gastric distress of some kind. I'm just too sensitive to most things anyway. They kind of shake their heads at me, but I don't worry -- their therapies work wonders all by themselves.

Also, do you know your triggers? Is the the low, harsh winter sun glaring off someone's windshield? Or the sun dancing off the water of a lake or river you pass regularly? Is it caffeine, chocolate, MSG? Are they cyclical like your periods? Do you use scented dryer sheets, or laundry soap or bath soap? Maybe get something unscented and milder. Do you need a new pillow -- IS it your new pillow??? whatever.... Keeping a diary (even if it's just scribbled sticky notes that you date and throw onto a piece of odd paper) can really help. My best attack is avoidance. Once in awhile, of course, you can't be sure. Like was it the spice in the sushi or the mix they used in the lemon drop, or the triple-sec in the lemon drop (or the fact that I had 3 lemon drops!!) ;)

I'm so sorry about your wrist. That must have been so painful!

I had a bone density scan and it was so uneventful that I can't even remember how it was done! I wonder if they can tell anything by looking at the xrays that they took of your wrist?? You might ask and see if they have any advice on that.

Good luck with your new device and please keep us posted. I can't imagine that there would be any harm in those magnets -- I tend to agree with Bob on that. You don't have a pacemaker, do you?? That would be a problem. I really hope it works for you -- but if it doesn't, don't give up the fight. You will find something!! Just keep looking.

Marguerite

Latest posts

Back