Migraine aura anyone? Or does the cheese stand alone?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As this has been a topic on this forum for years, and I finally have some answers, I wanted to provide an update.

After years of "migraines" and "auras" that started directly after my aortic aneurysm repair and valve surgery (10 years ago) that were never taken seriously by my cardiologists, two weeks ago I had a grand mal seizure that sent me to the hospital for three days. Turns out my "migraines" were actually focal-point seizures that a subsequent brain MRI linked to some white matter and brain bleeding that the neurologists suspect was connected to my time on the bypass machine (or aortic clamping) during my heart surgery. Or possibly a connection between the carotid arteries and impact from the surgery. Perhaps I always had epilepsy that the surgery triggered. They can't say with certainty, but some connection seems self-evident to them.

I've since started on seizure medication that has finally stopped my "migraines" in a way migraine medication never did. And I feel normal, so I don't want anyone about to undergo surgery to add this to their anxiety list - But frankly, it does p*ss me off how unserious cardiologists have taken this obvious issue for so long, especially knowing how common a complaint it is on this forum. If anyone is experiencing flashing lights, body tingling, deja vu, gastric rises, fuzzy brain, etc after a heart surgery, my advice is to find a good neurologist and insist on a brain MRI - One day, a study will be done on this, but until then, we'll need to be our own advocates.

I appreciate this forum as always - When I was in the hospital, I couldn't help but think "wait until my family at valve replacement hears about this!" :)

As this has been a topic on this forum for years, and I finally have some answers, I wanted to provide an update.

After years of "migraines" and "auras" that started directly after my aortic aneurysm repair and valve surgery (10 years ago) that were never taken seriously by my cardiologists, two weeks ago I had a grand mal seizure that sent me to the hospital for three days. Turns out my "migraines" were actually focal-point seizures that a subsequent brain MRI linked to some white matter and brain bleeding that the neurologists suspect was connected to my time on the bypass machine (or aortic clamping) during my heart surgery. Or possibly a connection between the carotid arteries and impact from the surgery. Perhaps I always had epilepsy that the surgery triggered. They can't say with certainty, but some connection seems self-evident to them.

I've since started on seizure medication that has finally stopped my "migraines" in a way migraine medication never did. And I feel normal, so I don't want anyone about to undergo surgery to add this to their anxiety list - But frankly, it does p*ss me off how unserious cardiologists have taken this obvious issue for so long, especially knowing how common a complaint it is on this forum. If anyone is experiencing flashing lights, body tingling, deja vu, gastric rises, fuzzy brain, etc after a heart surgery, my advice is to find a good neurologist and insist on a brain MRI - One day, a study will be done on this, but until then, we'll need to be our own advocates.

I appreciate this forum as always - When I was in the hospital, I couldn't help but think "wait until my family at valve replacement hears about this!" :)
I am glad you're getting relief. I had a TAVR a few weeks ago. I had a mild headache for a least two weeks (finally gone), still seeing stars and auras, and serious brain fog that is almost gone. I mentioned this to my cardiologist and had a CT scan which showed nothing. I will tell my neurologist next visit. Yes, you have to be your own advocate!

Thank you for posting this @workmonkey I do hope some research is done on this as there are a number of forum members get these migraine auras following heart surgery.

Keep well !

Back