Metprolol tartrate side effects

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carnelian

A side effect of this blood pressure medicine is shortness of breath...also fatigue, less capacity for exercise.
I experience these and have been taking it since 2017, after my 2 surgeries. Cardiologist does not connect
the medicine with these side effects as cause or effect. Wondering if any of you taking this medicine 2x daily, low dose
also feel shortness of breath, chronically and fatigue. these can be caused by many things such as asthma,
allergies, stamina, lungs, etc. You think there's reason to believe the medicine causes this?

I was put on this after my AVR surgery just one month ago...25mg twice a day. Because I am recovering and have a new (hopefully high functioning) aortic valve, I don't have a frame of reference for how this drug is affecting me vs normal recovery. I do notice that I am dizzy/lightheaded after I bend down and then stand up or just stand up fast. My surgeon stated it may be due to the Metoprolol. This is dizziness, as well as potential reduced exercise capacity is concerning. I am also curious how this drug affected others in this group. I am really hoping I am not on it long-term, although this is the advice of the surgeon. Will be discussing with my cardiologist at our next appointment.

Those symptoms can be caused by metoprolol. When I came home from the hospital, I was having trouble walking up the stairs, and got lightheaded to the point of near fainting a couple of times. I noticed that this light headedness happened usually if I had taken the metoprolol within 2 hours. But, if it had been 3 or 4 hours, after the affect had diminished in my system, I did not experience this.

I called my surgeon’s office, and his nurse practitioner immediately dropped my dose by 50%. The issue of light headedness went away when climbing stairs right away. Home testing my blood pressure confirmed that my BP remained nice and low, so the half dose was fine. Soon after that we switched from immediate release metoprolol to slow release and this seemed to really even things out even better.

I got off of the metoprolol after 2 or 3 months and noticed an immediate increase in my cardio capacity. This is no surprise at all, given that the drug keeps your heart rate and stroke volume relatively low, and to increase cardio capacity, you need to increase your heart rate and stroke volume. In any case, I’m completely off of it now and good blood pressure.

My dad was on metoprolol for 7 years. He lost about 20 pounds and brought his BP down naturally. During the process he was able to drop his dose by 50% and then get off of it completely. This works for a lot of people and is a better way to go when possible.

But, your medical team will probably want you on the beta blocker for at least 2 or 3 months following surgery to help reduce the risk of high pressure damaging the sutures as they heal.

Hi

A side effect of this blood pressure medicine is shortness of breath...also fatigue, less capacity for exercise.
I experience these and have been taking it since 2017, after my 2 surgeries. Cardiologist does not connect the medicine with these side effects as cause or effect.

I take the tartrate version because of the shorter half life than the Succinate form.

I don't know what "low dose" means, if you don't mind, could you read the dose as mg off the packet (or the pill) as I'd like to be specific. On that note, I take half a 50mg tablet twice daily for a tachycardia onset which seems permanent without the Metoprolol. So 50mg daily but spread over two doses.

I prefer to do my exersize in the mornings and the evenings so I do it just prior to taking my dose. Thus (for me) I do not suffer any "constraint" from it during exersize and my HR goes back to something sensible soon after taking it (not remaining at 140bpm all day).

This graph is (in my view) quite informative
1677534123558.png

(source)
and presents on the same time line the plasma concentration (upper half) where you can clearly see the onset of plasma (showing uptake by the body) and the fall off (showing half life). The lower portion shows the reduction in heart rate.

Worth mentioning is that I take half of their low dose (25mg twice daily).

Wondering if any of you taking this medicine 2x daily, low dose also feel shortness of breath, chronically and fatigue. these can be caused by many things such as asthma, allergies, stamina, lungs, etc. You think there's reason to believe the medicine causes this?
well no, I don't feel any of those. They are as you say things which can also have other origins (I note you missed COVID in your list).

I recall searching on it years ago as it was what was prescribed to me when I have my 3rd OHS in 2011 I found side effects, but none of the ones you listed. I searched again and found:
https://www.mayoclinic.org/drugs-supplements/metoprolol-oral-route/side-effects/drg-20071141
This medicine may cause some people to become less alert than they are normally. If this side effect occurs, do not drive, use machines, or do anything else that could be dangerous if you are not alert while taking metoprolol.
Dizziness, lightheadedness, or even fainting may occur when you get up suddenly from a lying or sitting position. Getting up slowly may help lessen this problem. Also, lying down for a while may relieve the dizziness or lightheadedness.
Avoid drinking alcohol while you are using the extended-release capsules.

That last point is amusing because Alcohol is what sets of my Tachycardia the worst and I just can't drink it anymore (fck ... talk about a blow) even if I follow up with metoprolol.

So I'd suggest you widen your search to other things and circle back to fingering metoprolol if those don't pan out.

You don't mention much about your general health or fitness levels both now and prior to surgery. Your bio suggests also double bypass surgery, which isn't usually associated with an athletic fitness healthy eating past (no judging, you know, just trying to get the facts ma'am).

Best Wishes

Metoprolol took the wind out of my sails in many ways. I was on it until my first cardio appointment after surgery when I asked to be taken off it. My cardio says it effects people differently and some can tolerate it well, others not so much. I needed it post-surgery but no longer. He said there are other options, I now use lisinopril and amlodipine besylate.

I took 25 mg/day of Metoprolol before AVR for BP. Post AVR, I take 100 mg, 50 mg morning and 50 mg eve and tolerate it well. I play squash and get my HR regularly in the 150's. I'm 65 yrs old. My I watch occasionally records a resting HR below 50, but I never have shortness of breath or light headedness. So no basis for me to suspect Metoprolol causing your symptoms, but we're all different. I think the bottom line is you need to trust your cardiologist when it comes to medication, titrating (never do this without consulting a physician), switching meds, etc.

I experience these and have been taking it since 2017, after my 2 surgeries. Cardiologist does not connect
the medicine with these side effects as cause or effect.

Having a pacemaker for third degree heart block makes my heart rate totally independent of any meds I might take. I had the opportunity to take a beta blocker for elevated BP. I thought that it would not affect me much since my heart rate would not slow down because of it. I was wrong. I felt very sluggish while biking which went away when I discontinued the beta blocker. This class of drugs have widespread effects such as worsening asthma, COPD and reducing contractility of the heart muscle. So for a cardiologist to discount feelings of shortness of breath and fatigue seems to me very weird. The test is to stop the meds and see if the problems go away. I would talk with the cardiologist (or maybe get a different one) about stopping this drug and using a different class of anti hypertensives (and there are many) which don't have these side effects. I am on a anti angiotensin receptor blocker for elevated BP.

https://www.bhf.org.uk/informationsupport/heart-matters-magazine/medical/drug-cabinet/arbsVery few side effects noted for that class of drugs. This was prescribed by one of the cardiologists I see.

Also unless one has severe hypertension there is little to worry about for a short period of modestly elevated BP say 130 to 150 while you are getting your BP back in control. If you have marked hypertension then one has to be more careful in not allowing it to get out of control.

Patients question me all of the time about drugs and the treatment regimen they are on. I try hard to not be condescending and I try to explain about what is going on. So "trust" your physician but if they don't want to explain or just shut you up find someone else who will talk with you.

Mornin

Patients question me all of the time about drugs and the treatment regimen they are on. I try hard to not be condescending and I try to explain about what is going on. So "trust" your physician but if they don't want to explain or just shut you up find someone else who will talk with you.

its a good point and I think I can see it from both sides. Everyone is different with their capacity for patience. In my professional domain I'm not the best to be helping users with mundane (but vexing to them) questions like how do I get my printer working when I'm acting in the role of the head of a large project for a major financial institution. There are days that I'm really able to and days where I'm not.

Equally I look at the guy I regard as my current surgeon (he hasn't put a knife to me for over 10 years now, but I do still have occasional followups with him. Compared to the guy who was his bos (who was head of CadioThoracic at the same hospital before) he's far more minimalist in conversation. I imagine some people think he's terse or curt.

Aside from how early he's on the ward (day in day out) and how other surgeons respect him, you seen find out (if you have an enquiring mind) that he's also very active as a teacher of surgeons in 3rd world countries as a volunteer. So basically he's spread like grease on a sheet of glass and his time is (to him and many others) very valuable

I wouldn't swap out to a lesser surgeon.

So to me if you think your doctor is good but isn't explaining things I'd be loath to swap them out for a "good communicator" when you may not even know if they know what they're talking about. Doctors are not fungible.

Best Wishes

I took metoprolol after surgery and I felt annoyed with the fatigue. My cardio at the time always encouraged me to stay on it and stressed on its benefit to keeps the heart at ease! After four or five years, we moved to a new area and the new cardiologist felt I could stop it! My heart was functioning ok.
I was happy to stop! Yes, I felt more energetic, but my heart wasn’t happy! I ended up with Atrial Flutter and stayed four days in the hospital. This could have been a coincidence, as AFib can happen to anyone, but that was what my ex-cardio was trying to protect me from... Metoprolol relieves the stress of the heart’s workload off. This can be just in my case as I have two mechanical valves!
I was put back on it twice a day. Then reduced to once a day after a year. After a second AFib I was put back on it twice a day.
So, in brief, I’ve been taking 25mg twice a day since last August.
Discovered my shortness of breath is gone after I added an oxygen concentrator to my CPAP machine. Now, I “like Metoprolol” and will never stop it! it’s a savior for some patients (like me)! It doesn’t cause me fatigue as before! I started exercising and feel more energetic and better than anytime in the past 5 years! My fatigue is definitely not related to it anymore,
Good luck. If you think your cardio is caring and genuine, follow his advice.

Last edited:
Having a pacemaker for third degree heart block makes my heart rate totally independent of any meds I might take. I had the opportunity to take a beta blocker for elevated BP. I thought that it would not affect me much since my heart rate would not slow down because of it. I was wrong. I felt very sluggish while biking which went away when I discontinued the beta blocker. This class of drugs have widespread effects such as worsening asthma, COPD and reducing contractility of the heart muscle. So for a cardiologist to discount feelings of shortness of breath and fatigue seems to me very weird. The test is to stop the meds and see if the problems go away. I would talk with the cardiologist (or maybe get a different one) about stopping this drug and using a different class of anti hypertensives (and there are many) which don't have these side effects. I am on a anti angiotensin receptor blocker for elevated BP.

https://www.bhf.org.uk/informationsupport/heart-matters-magazine/medical/drug-cabinet/arbsVery few side effects noted for that class of drugs. This was prescribed by one of the cardiologists I see.

Also unless one has severe hypertension there is little to worry about for a short period of modestly elevated BP say 130 to 150 while you are getting your BP back in control. If you have marked hypertension then one has to be more careful in not allowing it to get out of control.

Why do you put trust in quotes?
My cardio dr. says very little in 10 minutes, like the others I have had. I will find another--there are plenty where I live. Like most patients, I don't know much about heart surgery and the heart so I cannot ask the best questions to get answers. They are not going to freely choose to discuss it without cause and motivation. they don't care who comes or goes...out of sight, out of mind. He told me I will be on Metoprolol forever.

Last edited:
I've reported on my experience with metoprolol in some other threads. I simply can't tolerate it.

Last time I was on it was after I had a catheterization to put some stents put in. The plan was to have this done on that Monday of which I took the day off work, then rest/recover Tues/Wed since I had those 2 days off, then back to work on Thurs/Fri for my normal 12 hour work shifts.

Had the procedure done and was admitted overnight to the hospital to monitor my bleeding. Had to lie flat for a couple hours and not allowed to move etc (bleeding issues part of the precautions when on blood thinners & having a catheterization done, had ported to lovenox etc then going back to warfarin).

When finally OKed to get up I felt GREAT and spent time getting exercise wandering the halls, going on "adventures", checking out the cute nurses, and raiding the refrigerators discovering that the staff keep ice cream in there for the patients at night when the cafe closed. Yum.

The next morning I was up early at 5am, chomping to go home, the hospital cafe had opened at 6am and I called down for my breakfast. A friend was scheduled to come pick me up for ride home around 9-10ish.

After eating a nurse came in (wait! that sounds like I ate the nurse, er, no) and gave me 2 pills to take along with literature to read about those drugs printed out from the internet I assume (I did not ask for that but appreciated it, which led to a series of Qs I asked the cardiologist b4 I was discharged, who totally resented my asking him anything and he answered some incorrectly btw, a very long story I will skip for now).

The pills were metoprolol and plavix. Although I don't (or at least did not then) have high blood pressure they put me on meto to keep the heart less strained to let it heal a bit, and the plavix is a type of blood "thinner" which does its thing differently than warfarin, by screwing up your blood platelets, supposedly as a precaution to prevent strokes occurring from clots forming on the stents. I found it concerning to be one 2 different types of blood thinners at same time - not counting the lovenox which I then had to bridge back to warfarin) but the cardiologist still felt that was necessary but again not the point of this story.

All I knew was that within 10-15 minutes of taking those 2 pills I felt my body (& brain) had been dragged down by 15 ton weights. Like I was on a planet with 100x the gravity of earth. I had no strength. I was overexhausted in ways I thought not possible. All I could do was to crawl back into bed. I fell asleep despite just finishing bfast and feeling great b4 those pills. My friend came to give me ride home but I was out like a light and he didn't know what to do so he just sat in the room, I awoke only when a nurse came in & woke me up for something or other.

I had a appt to see my Family Dr the next morning, to give me a checkup, clear me to go back to work etc. But I could barely get there (stupidly drove myself). Had to pull over and fight to stay awake. Was not sure where I was, where I was going or why & almost got lost. Feeling as tired as I was he couldn't clear me and told me to rest for the rest of the week then come back next Monday.

By Friday however I was still feeling the same. Could do nothing other than stay in bed, sleep, watch TV. Communicated with the Dr that something must be wrong with me. He told me the only thing wrong was that I was spending too much time in bed, that I needed to get some exercise and to go for a walk. So I tried going for a walk when I got home and only got about 2 blocks from my house. Had to sit on the curb & try to get enough strength to go back home. Said FRAK THIS to myself when I got home and went back to sleep.

My appt the following Monday did not go much better. So tired I had to stay in the exam room and lie on the table after the visit. Don't even know how I managed to get home.

Dr called me next day and said he spoke with cardiologist. They decided I should take the metoprolol at bedtime instead of when I got up. That made no difference of course.

Had appt with cardiologist that Friday. So exhausted could barely think straight. That visit did not go well as there was fallout from the last time I saw him in the hospital with his wrong answers to my legitimate Qs and he refused at that point to answer anything else I wanted to ask (told me to "go ask Dr google").

But to his credit I guess he could see I was in trouble. Must have looked like I was underwater. He spoke with my family Dr who then called me and told me to cut the Meto pills in half.

The difference was immediate. Next day I was no longer addled to the point of exhaustion. Could think straight. Could do things. Was able to go back to work. However over the course of the next weeks noticed other things with my body that were not fun. I weened myself off it and got back to normal.

So yeah, something like metoprolol (a beta blocker) can affect things like your energy etc levels. I have a different story about beta blockers which happened to someone at work that I've also probably told up here somewhere but that's enough for now...

(sorry to ramble as usual)

Also, in case others on metoprolol might be experiencing this but not realize this drug is the cause, note that it can cause extremely vivid and horrible nightmares. I had the worst 2 nightmares of my life on this drug, the 2nd & 3rd nights I was on it. They were of the "waking dream" variety (in the dreams I was asleep in bed and things happened that were pretty frightening). I also had terrible auditory hallucinations while sleeping. Woke up screaming multiple times. Not fun as I said above...

Hi

I had the worst 2 nightmares of my life on this drug, the 2nd & 3rd nights I was on it.

its possible that this is just a coincidence. I can't find reports of it and my similar experiences were not on it but I attribute to being on the stuff they give you after General Anaesthetic.

I also found trauma is related to these things (in me at least, as well as some veterans I know)

Also, in case others on metoprolol might be experiencing this but not realize this drug is the cause, note that it can cause extremely vivid and horrible nightmares. I had the worst 2 nightmares of my life on this drug, the 2nd & 3rd nights I was on it. They were of the "waking dream" variety (in the dreams I was asleep in bed and things happened that were pretty frightening). I also had terrible auditory hallucinations while sleeping. Woke up screaming multiple times. Not fun as I said above...
I had very vivid dreams when I started taking it (and could have written books), which subsided with time. But never nightmares.

Last edited:
I had the worst 2 nightmares of my life on this drug, the 2nd & 3rd nights I was on it.
I did some more digging, apparently it can

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7306637/
We present the case of an 84-year-old male presented to the clinic complaining of increased confusion, fatigue, lightheadedness, nightmares, sleep disturbance, and gait problems for four weeks. The patient was evaluated for neurogenic and cardiogenic causes of his symptoms and both were ruled out. We believe that further review of his medical chart and medication reconciliation will lead us to the underlying cause of his symptoms.
Despite being an effective treatment option, there are risks associated with beta-blocker therapy. The most common symptoms are psychiatric conditions, bizarre and vivid dreams, sleep disturbances, delirium, psychosis, and visual hallucinations. Elderly patients who are started on beta-blockers require close monitoring for any adverse neurological symptoms.

and
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/20146183/
A 71-year-old man had had visual hallucinations and vivid dreams for two years after starting to take metoprolol. When metoprolol was replaced by atenolol the patient's symptoms disappeared within five days. Side-effects of beta-blockers on the central nervous system are relatively uncommon. The mechanisms underlying these side-effects are not fully understood. Lipophilic beta-blockers can cross the blood-brain barrier, whereas hydrophilic beta-blockers cannot. Doctors need to be alerted to the varying side-effects of specific beta-blockers.

So thanks for bringing this up and causing me to research it more. It is exactly for these sorts of reasons that I say I like being wrong.

A worthy addition however is this view about reducing anxiety and aggression, which is something I knew of

Last edited:
Reactions: Eva

Latest posts

Back