metallic taste in mouth after AVR surgery

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

I had my second AVR surgery 10/30/15 and other than going from a porcine to a bovine valve the surgery went well and I am home. The big difference in the outcome is everything I try to eat taste like I am chewing on aluminum foil. If anyone has a solution please tell me before I go crazy...........and starve:)

curiously I have had something like this for a while ... I first identified it a little before surgery and wondered what it was.

I had assumed it was related to my aneurysm ... perhaps a nerve?

I still don't know, but I'm sort of used to it. I wonder if its got anything to do with the vascular structure and the return of blood?

The booklet I was given about valve surgery said, "Food may taste different. Food may not taste the same or 'right' for a while. This may be due to some of the effects of anesthesia and new medications." I didn't experience this myself, but it was good to know what might happen.

What medication are you on ? Zopiclone causes a definite metallic taste. There may be others that do that, plus the anaethesia which has after effects for a few weeks.

I can still remember the first month or two after surgery -- absolutely NOTHING tasted "right." I had a really hard time convincing myself to eat or drink anything, as it all tasted metallic and just nasty. Fortunately, this effect diminished over time, and then my appetite came back with a vengeance. Since my appetite returned, I've had to watch my intake and weight - just like before.

Hang in there. Things will normalize, but it may take a while. Try to find some things that you can still tolerate, and eat those for a while.

Latest posts

Back