Met with "genetic counselor"

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5465157/

check this recent research. It claims LONG TERM lipid lowering lowers lpa. Also the type of statin may be important.

The current study demonstrated that long-term statin therapy significantly decreased the Lp (a) levels in CAD patients while short-term or medium term statin therapy didn’t. When grouped by statin use, only long-term simvastatin use significantly decreased the Lp (a) levels while long-term atorvastatin use insignificantly decreased the Lp (a) levels. Primary hypertension (PH), DM, low density lipoprotein cholesterol (LDL-C) and high density lipoprotein cholesterol (HDL-C) could modify the therapeutic effects of statin use on the Lp (a) levels in CAD patients. [h=3]Conclusions[/h]
The long-term statin therapy could be efficacious in reducing the Lp (a) levels in CAD patients, which has been modified by some traditional risk factors. In the era of commercial unavailability of more reliable Lp (a) lowering drugs, our findings will bolster confidence in fighting higher Lp (a) abnormalities both for patients and for doctors.

Keywords: Lipoprotein (a) [Lp (a)], statins, therapy, modifying factors [h=2]Intro[/h]

I swapped rosuvastatin for atorvastatin and mine dropped. But, I did a lot of other things as well.
Keep reading. Knowledge is power. Become an expert in yourself.... ****, I've run out of cliches.

Very interesting read, in part because everything else I have read has indicated that statins INCREASE Lp(a) levels.

In fact, even in the article you linked to above, we get this:

"Interestingly, only in long-term statin use in some stratifications, were there significantly reduced Lp (a) levels as compared with baseline. The exception is in the mid tertile of LDL-tC (2.18–3.03 mmol/L), where statin use increased the Lp (a) levels by ~10% across all durations of follow-up."

But an interesting read. Maybe I should look into switching to Simvastatin. It's possible my GP just threw a dart at a board when he chose to put me on Crestor as opposed to another statin.

Nocturne;n877632 said:
Very interesting read, in part because everything else I have read has indicated that statins INCREASE Lp(a) levels.

In fact, even in the article you linked to above, we get this:

"Interestingly, only in long-term statin use in some stratifications, were there significantly reduced Lp (a) levels as compared with baseline. The exception is in the mid tertile of LDL-tC (2.18–3.03 mmol/L), where statin use increased the Lp (a) levels by ~10% across all durations of follow-up."

But an interesting read. Maybe I should look into switching to Simvastatin. It's possible my GP just threw a dart at a board when he chose to put me on Crestor as opposed to another statin.

Or maybe the company that makes Crestor sent him on a nice cruise....

cldlhd;n877641 said:
Or maybe the company that makes Crestor sent him on a nice cruise....
You cynic, you. Yep, all marketing.

Crestor is very popular. Great for lowering LDL, but maybe not ideal for people with high Lp(a).
I'm gonna start keeping relevant articles.

A friend of mine owned a restaurant, still does but in a different location, and once a week a group of doctors would come in and eat like fiends and then take tons of food home with them. All paid by a pharmaceutical company. Can you prove a quid pro quo, collusion? Maybe not but I can't imagine they do it out of the kindness of their heart. If they feel the need to prescribe a drug and you have a choice between a company you have no relationship with and one who literally feeds you?

"Niacin, DHEA, Flaxseed, almonds, folate, B12, Atorvastatin, Ezetimibe, oats, Evolocumab, if you can get your hands on it. I take all of the above and have dropped my Lp(a) by 60%. Focus. "That's rockstar--I do almost all that--good job)

Latest posts

Back