Met my Surgeon and Got my Date

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Orangebrittainy

Met with the Surgeon yesterday at Duke. Had a bunch of testing. My Aortic root has enlarged from 4cm in February, to 4.6 cm. He said I am beginning to show symptoms of Heart Failure. They are going to replace the the root as well. He told me to pick a Wednesday within the next 4 weeks. (He said at the most 6 weeks but he is not comfortable with that) So the date we picked is September 15th. I'll be admitted on the 14th. We decided to go with a mechanical valve.

George corrected me, its the Ascending Aorta that will need to be replaced.

Glad things are moving ahead for you. I think the 15th is a good date - enough time to get some things done, but not too much to drive yourself crazy. Make sure, if you haven't already done so, to check the Sticky postings at the top of Pre-Surgery & Post-Surgery.

The song says the waiting is the hardest part... I cannot imagine the mindset that comes into play. Glad to have a date but nervous about what is to come. Praying you have peace of mind. Will be looking forward to hearing about how WELL everything goes for you :)

Blue

Such mixed emotions when one finally meets the surgeon and "gets the date"! Your countdown has begun. My recommendation for you is to look around and breathe in everything wonderful and precious about your life. Truly pull it into your being. Laugh, smile, smell every rose!! Notice that tweeting bird? -- take an extra few seconds to watch it.... hear that babbling brook? -- listen to its music, really hear it. Then, when you're in the hospital and you think you're gonna scream :eek2: when someone comes to poke you with yet another needle, just calmly close your eyes and recall those moments so fresh in your mind. It worked for me!

Wednesday! I just love it when a surgeon tells you to pick a day! My surgeon said, you know, I feel best on Tuesdays, why don't you pick a Tuesday? Such a confidence builder!! Yay for Wednesdays!

Duke is an amazing place -- and a gorgeous campus (I visited the campus long after I graduated from college and wished my parents had taken me there in High School so I would've worked harder and possibly sent them an application -- never in the cards for me -- spent too many days having fun and skipping school! :wink2:). And a magnificent chapel!! I am not religious, but I think anyone could go in that amazing space and feel comforted and strengthened. Please make a point to go in there if it is at all feasible.

Best wishes to you! Come here often as the waiting may drive you bonkers! We totally understand and we are always great listeners.

Marguerite

Well, ok Brittainy, you're on a roll now! Get all your loose ends together & get ready for your date!

I will be thinking of you on the 15th and will say a little prayer that all goes well with you! :)

Thats just enough time to take care of the things you need to but, not so long to worry about it. We have been through the surgery and although not pleasant it is doable. Keeping a positive frame of mind will help you alot.Remember this is going to save your life.We are all behind you 100%!

Best wishes to you. Will be thinking of you as well. Its alot to process, but my husband and I feel fortunate he has the opportunity to fix the problem. Some illnesses have no solution. Hang in there things will go well.

Brittany,

Wednesday is a good day. Good wishes and sincere prayers to you. I second Marguerite's suggestion to see the chapel. I attended a couple services there way back in a previous life and it will be time well spent.

Doug

Back