Mental recovery

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ozo

What you are experiencing is very common. I myself have found myself being significantly more weepy than I have ever been, and a few of my friends who have had major heart issues have ALSO reported themselves as being significantly more emotional post-op. This is a well known issue, although in truth I have so far failed to find out precisely WHY this issue occurs, in any definitive manner.

Best advice?

Just learn to live with your decision and get on with life. Its short enough as it is...

I'm not sure describing it as a macho man concept is necessarily accurate with all men in this situation. I mean women experience it also so it must be something else. I just pointed out because I think that's comes across as a negative term. I had trouble dealing with it as a man but it wasn't really a macho thing it was more of a brush with mortality thing. Although I'm not going to lie as a pretty physically active guy I was very used to being able to do physical things and fortunately I am still able to do so, if I could it would be difficult for me at least at first. But I don't think doing things like working on your house or other things that require physical strength is necessarily tied in with being macho.
A number of men, which it has been posted on here in the past, have more depression after OPH than men due to the fact that the men were taught that illness of any kind is a sign of weakness. Not just macho thing. I have been here since 2001, had to leave for a time due to financial problems and had to drop the internet service for a couple of years. So I have the posts from the wives trying to understand what was going on with their husbands' after OPH. As long as you do the simple physical activities like walking, swimming, and not so stressful activities, you will do fine.

Back