Medtronic failure rates

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, they sure like them at Cleveland Clinic, don't they?

I know they have the reputation of being #1, and because of that I'm guessing they have a pretty wide range in ages as far as VRs go, so I don't think it's because most of surgeries are for seniors. Maybe it's good for repeat business.

Well, they sure like them at Cleveland Clinic, don't they?

I know they have the reputation of being #1, and because of that I'm guessing they have a pretty wide range in ages as far as VRs go, so I don't think it's because most of surgeries are for seniors. Maybe it's good for repeat business.

I'm pretty sure they don't need repeat business, since the waiting list is pretty long for elective heart surgery

Let's not forget that there are many, many, many other very fine heart surgery centers in the US. Cleveland Clinic is great, but so are a lot of the others. Joe had one heart valve surgery in Boston early on, and then had two right here where he lived in the local hospital, done by a superb surgeon, one of the nicest people you would ever want to meet, who has a sterling reputation in thoracic surgery. He also did a lung surgery on Joe. Never had one problems with any of these surgeries. Joe also had another lung surgery done about 14 miles away in Albany, Again, no problems at all.

Seems like we are only hearing about Cleveland Clinic. It is not your only choice.

Maybe it's good for repeat business.

Haha, now this made me laugh because my last surgeon, Dr. Novoa, was a Cleveland Clinic transplant to my local hospital. He actually said that they like repeat business, to me.

Haha, now this made me laugh because my last surgeon, Dr. Novoa, was a Cleveland Clinic transplant to my local hospital. He actually said that they like repeat business to me.

From 'somewhere on the CC website':

In 2009, Cleveland Clinic performed 2677 Valve Replacement Surgeries, the most for any hospital in the USA.
This breaks down into 1981 "Primary" (first time) Valve Replacements and 696 "Reoperations" which amounts to 26% of their total number of Valve Replacements.

From 'somewhere on the CC website':

In 2009, Cleveland Clinic performed 2677 Valve Replacement Surgeries, the most for any hospital in the USA.
This breaks down into 1981 "Primary" (first time) Valve Replacements and 696 "Reoperations" which amounts to 26% of their total number of Valve Replacements.

Yes but many of their REDOs they do, had their first surgery elsewhere and travel to CFF (or any bigger center) for their REDO. BUt yes for each year I checked about 1/4-1/3 of their valve replacements are REDOS, which is probably why their stats are so good even for 2nd surgeries.

Let's not forget that there are many, many, many other very fine heart surgery centers in the US. Cleveland Clinic is great, but so are a lot of the others. Joe had one heart valve surgery in Boston early on, and then had two right here where he lived in the local hospital, done by a superb surgeon, one of the nicest people you would ever want to meet, who has a sterling reputation in thoracic surgery. He also did a lung surgery on Joe. Never had one problems with any of these surgeries. Joe also had another lung surgery done about 14 miles away in Albany, Again, no problems at all.

Seems like we are only hearing about Cleveland Clinic. It is not your only choice.

I agree and wanted to remind people who are either adults with CHD or their children have CHD and need surgery, That CCF is ranked rather low (not top 20 I believe) for Congenital Heart Defects. I get nervous some times when I see people recommending CCF for people who are having surgery now, that already had surgery as children, because they really should be going to one of the larger CHD/Adult with CHD centers who have the most experience with complex hearts like theirs.

People with ordinary valve problems do just fine at hospitals other than Cleveland Clinic, check out the hospitals closer to you before deciding to go a long distance for surgery. You may be surprised to find that there are some absolutely superb thoracic surgeons right nearby. Adding a complicated and expensive trip for valve surgery is a terrible burden, if you don't have to do it.

I can't tell you how good it felt to be taking Joe home after valve surgery, knowing that the trip would only be 20 minutes and then he would be home and able to relax. And if there were any problems, we could get him back to the surgeon quickly.

Most of the surgeons at other hospitals have trained with excellent mentors and have Interned, done Residency and even Fellowed with some of the most famous thoracic surgeons.

I'd add a Yes, BUT to Nancy's advice about looking at your local hospitals.

For uncomplicated First Time Heart Surgeries, local hospitals with experienced surgeons are probably quite good.

Our Local Hospital started doing Heart Surgeries with 2 Surgeons. One trained under Dr. Cosgrove at Cleveland Clinic. The other trained under Dr. Pacifico at the University of Alabama in Birmingham (UAB) when it was ranked 10th to 15th in the Heart Hospital Rankings. My local hospital now has 4 surgeons who perform 700 to 900 Heart Surgeries per year with excellent results, BUT, it is my understanding that over 90% of those surgeries are (relatively simple) Coronary Artery Bypass Grafts (CABG). I knew several of their patients and had no reservations about having CABG done locally.

When my Aortic Valve became stenotic, my Cardio asked me: "have you thought about going out of town"?
He referred me to UAB (100 mile drive away) for AVR. The Surgeons at UAB are Heart Transplant Surgeons with LOTS of complex Heart Surgery Experience, in particular, dealing with Scar Tissue from previous surgeries (or other causes).

For those who do not live in the densely populated North East part of the country, you may want to expand your definition of "Local" to a larger radius that includes the larger and/or University Hospitals in your state.

Bottom Line: Ask the surgeon(s) you interview "How Many Surgeries of the Procedure YOU will need do they perform per year and How Long have they been performing Heart Surgery". You might also want to know where they did their Internships and Residencies. Experience Counts.

For patients with BAV and Aneurisms which are often a sign of Connective Tissue Disorders, it is especially important to find a Surgeon who KNOWS how to recognize Connective Tissue Disorders and how to deal with them, in addition to having experience doing Surgery of the Aorta which is another step up the ladder of compexity. Such surgeons are usually found at the Major Heart Hospitals around the country.

'AL Capshaw'

Nancy,
I totally agree, and I doubt if I would have had a better result if I had my surgery there. I'm very pleased with what I got locally; however, I do live in a large metropolitan area, which I think usually provides better access to good doctors/surgeons than some of the more rural isolated areas.

Yes but many of their REDOs they do, had their first surgery elsewhere and travel to CFF (or any bigger center) for their REDO. BUt yes for each year I checked about 1/4-1/3 of their valve replacements are REDOS, which is probably why their stats are so good even for 2nd surgeries.

So they only count a redo as one that was done there previously? I would think a second (third, or whatever) is a redo no matter where the first one is done. No? That kind of skews the numbers.

Ok, so this is what we do know:
1) Bovine valves have been in use for about 30 years.
2) Mechanical valves lasting a lifetime is anecdotal evidence rather than fact.
3) How long a tissue or mechanical valve will last is not really known.

Can we say the above 3 statement are facts?

Is there data showing mechanical valve failure, where anyone has had to have a mechanical valve replaced because it was no longer functioning right, and not do to prosthesis mismatch, or recall by manufacturer?

I think it would be good if we could, even if there are only a few, get some facts in order.

I asked my 'industry contact' about Life Testing for Mechanical Valves and was told that ALL of the Mechanical Valves produced in this country have been 'wear tested' to the equivalent of 100 Years of Service (or more) at normal Heart Pressures. This suggests that Mechnaical Valves should NOT "Wear Out" in a normal lifetime.

The primary reasons for replacing Mechanical Valves are Not Related to the Valve, but tend to be patient / surgeon / disease related such as Pannus Tissue Growth, stitching issues, Infective Endocarditis, etc.

FWIW, we have / had members with Ball and Cage Mechanical Valves approaching 40 years of service.

'AL Capshaw'

So they only count a redo as one that was done there previously? I would think a second (third, or whatever) is a redo no matter where the first one is done. No? That kind of skews the numbers.

No I didn't say that, It is any 2nd surgery for that valve, no matter where they had their first.
I just meant, that many of the REDOs they do, are not repeat business, but often another hospital did they first one (and got the money for it)

I asked my 'industry contact' about Life Testing for Mechanical Valves and was told that ALL of the Mechanical Valves produced in this country have been 'wear tested' to the equivalent of 100 Years of Service (or more) at normal Heart Pressures. This suggests that Mechnaical Valves should NOT "Wear Out" in a normal lifetime.

The primary reasons for replacing Mechanical Valves are Not Related to the Valve, but tend to be patient / surgeon / disease related such as Pannus Tissue Growth, stitching issues, Infective Endocarditis, etc.

FWIW, we have / had members with Ball and Cage Mechanical Valves approaching 40 years of service.

'AL Capshaw'

I only knew of One member here who had their valve 40 years or even more than 30, Dick, I'm glad to hear there are others.

I only knew of One member here who had their valve 40 years or even more than 30, Dick, I'm glad to hear there are others.

Dick#### has had his Ball and Cage Mechanical Valve since August 1967 for 43 years this month.

Nancy's husband Joe had a Bjork-Shiley Ball and Cage Mechanical Valve from 1977 until his demise from multiple organ failure in December 2006, just shy of 30 years. His Mechanical Valves were both still working to the end.

Do we have any members who have had a Bi-Leaflet Mechanical Valve (most likely a St. Jude) for 25 years or more?
If so, please identify yourself and tell us when you received your valve.

Joe had a tilting disk Bjork-Shiley and it was still fully functional, only stopping when he stopped, and Al is right, it was just shy of 30 years and could have gone on and on. He also had St. Jude mitral mechanical, no problems there either.

Al,

My mother had a St Jude mech. valve implanted in the aortic position in 1985. She's now 72 and going strong.

Dick#### has had his Ball and Cage Mechanical Valve since August 1967 for 43 years this month.

Nancy's husband Joe had a Bjork-Shiley Ball and Cage Mechanical Valve from 1977 until his demise from multiple organ failure in December 2006, just shy of 30 years. His Mechanical Valves were both still working to the end.

Do we have any members who have had a Bi-Leaflet Mechanical Valve (most likely a St. Jude) for 25 years or more?
If so, please identify yourself and tell us when you received your valve.

Al,

My mother had a St Jude mech. valve implanted in the aortic position in 1985. She's now 72 and going strong.

That's great! See, Coumadin does not kill you after all. :thumbup:

And this coming January RCB will have 29 years in on his Bjork-Shiley, that Dr. Pettersson of CCF left in place in rcb's last surgery because the noted surgeon felt that the valve would last his life time- Anyone have the cahones to disagree with Dr. Pettersson decision? :rolleyes2:

Back