Medication Change

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carolinemc

I went to the PC on Wednesday and got a change on my dosage of Metformin. I was taking 2000 a day, now it is 1000 a day. So happy. Testing glucose once a day or so, so the Metformin I have now is 1000, so I can take it once a day. Hopeful that someday be pill free. A1C has been 6.7 for several years. Yeah!

Glad to hear that you have your blood glucose under control. It is more important than many people realize and can prevent downstream problems.

Glad to hear that you have your blood glucose under control. It is more important than many people realize and can prevent downstream problems.
Here is the kicker, the new med it is costing me more money than I can spare, $243.00 for a three months supply. I would have to go into debt to get it. I am letting the doctors know that I have lower my dosing and cannot afford an expensive drug. Sad when the student doctor is not aware of the expensive drug is out of reach for the patient. But I am doing better. just a little farty. LMAO!

Which med are they trying to get you to use? I had one that was quite expensive, but we were able to get a manufacturers coupon and I think I only pay $20 or so for three months supply. Many of those new meds are crazy expensive. The one they put me on though I like as I have lost 20 lbs over the past year I have been on it. One of the side effects is weight loss... that's one side effect I like vs all those nasty things they tell you about (e.g. anal seepage, unusual urges for sex or gambling, fire shooting out of your urethra, etc) :)

Here is the kicker, the new med it is costing me more money than I can spare, $243.00 for a three months supply.

That's not Metformin, correct? Metformin is super cheap and usually a front line med for insulin resistance/diabetes.

I have pre-diabetes, which I reversed by cutting out all sugars and processed foods- all whole foods diet now. At least, I have reversed it according to all my blood work, but it is a bit more complex than that in reality. Like you I take 1,000 mg per day of Metformin. I already got my A1c down to 5% just with diet before Metformin, but take the Metformin for good measure, as for some reason my liver produces a little too much glucose, keeping my fasting BG at just over 100. They prescribed me 2,000mg, which is standard, but the 1,000mg with whole foods keeps my blood sugar very low, so I decided not to go to 2,000mg.

Which med are they trying to get you to use? I had one that was quite expensive, but we were able to get a manufacturers coupon and I think I only pay $20 or so for three months supply. Many of those new meds are crazy expensive. The one they put me on though I like as I have lost 20 lbs over the past year I have been on it. One of the side effects is weight loss... that's one side effect I like vs all those nasty things they tell you about (e.g. anal seepage, unusual urges for sex or gambling, fire shooting out of your urethra, etc) :)
It is Metformin Long lasting and it is much different. Even with goodrx card, it is very expensive for one who is on SSDi and Medicare. I cannot afford or trust the Medicare Advantage, for there are horror stories coming out about not covering the medical bills. I will stick with what I am on, just lowering the dosage. Hopefully will be getting off it this next year. Been on 2000mg a day, down to 1000mg a day(standard too).

That's not Metformin, correct? Metformin is super cheap and usually a front line med for insulin resistance/diabetes.

I have pre-diabetes, which I reversed by cutting out all sugars and processed foods- all whole foods diet now. At least, I have reversed it according to all my blood work, but it is a bit more complex than that in reality. Like you I take 1,000 mg per day of Metformin. I already got my A1c down to 5% just with diet before Metformin, but take the Metformin for good measure, as for some reason my liver produces a little too much glucose, keeping my fasting BG at just over 100. They prescribed me 2,000mg, which is standard, but the 1,000mg with whole foods keeps my blood sugar very low, so I decided not to go to 2,000mg.
It is metformin, but there is the long lasting one and it it expensive, even with goodrx card. I will stay with what I am on, just lower dosage.

Latest posts

Back