Medicare and the PT/INR Monitor

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShezaGirlie

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
As promised, I am updating y'all on the status of getting a new monitor.

My Medicare Advantage plan is Humana Gold Plus - HMO - and Humana has approved QAS as an 'out of network' provider for me..:D

I can't speak highly enough of Brandi at QAS who went waaaaaaay beyond the call of duty in helping get this all done. Also, there was total cooperation from the billing manager at my cardio's office. So between the three of us writing e-mails, making calls -- job is done.

Hi Sheza

Glad to hear you're getting a monitor. We just got put on the QAS program/through Medicare/even though we own our own monitor. The nurse who came out from Va. Beach to train us couldn't believe we've done our own testing for years and are now on the least plan.....only because of Medicare. They refused to pay for Tyce's supplies when we bought them ourselves, so we figured there's more than one way to skin a cat. We went on the "lease" plan and it will cost us about $11 a month for supplies and testing once weekly. Works for me as long as we don't have to go through medicare again.....that was a horror. I don't know how the people at QAS services deal with them!!!!

Good luck with your new monitor......you'll absolutely love it!!!

Evelyn

Hi,

That is great news! :)
I bet it sure makes all the paperwork and phone calls feel worth it!

Best of luck with your new monitor! I need to get off my butt and update my old Protime too.. It's older that dirt, but still takes a lick'n and keeps on tick'n!

Rob

Don't you suppose part of the high cost of some of these devices is to pay the people who have to convince the HMO, deal with Medicare paperwork, etc., etc, etc? I would guess that 30-40% of the cost is for dealing with all the insurances, HMOs and Medicare.

Midge

Glad you got yours. Once I can get my INR stabilized for a period, I will try climbing that mountain......but it's a much smaller mountain than the one we have all already climbed at least once in our lives.

Congratulations on your new meter! I have been so happy with the QAS staff & my INratio 2 machine. I know that you will be a very satisfied customer!

Free at last, you're free at last!!! Yipeee!!! :)

However, it would be nice if they offered generic service - just sell the strips or the meters, and offer a price that doesn't include the extras. (It would be helpful for people like me who don't have insurance and can't pay the Cadillac prices they charge.)

At one time, you could buy just strips. At least I did from Raytel (now Phillips) three years ago. And there was another company, I believe in New England, but I never could connect with an employee who knew what INR test strips were. Wanted to sell me test strips for diabetes.

Back