Mechanical vs tissue

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
huh? .........

I had written a response to your post but chose to delete it.
Once a post is submitted, you cannot remove the format.
It requires ten characters be entered in order to remove the text I chose to delete,
thus the ................

Hi Carol,
I have an On-X valve and take 11mg of Warfarin a day, for the time being anyway while the PROACT trials are going ahead in the US. So there is a chance that I may be able to come off Warfarin for good in due course. Being on Warfarin really doesn't affect my life style. If I eat something that is rich in Vit K, I just take an extra mg of Warfarin, simple.

I home test as well using the Coaguchek machine once every 3 weeks. In the meantime I'm doing karate and charging up and down the hockey pitch, which is OK for me as I only really need to maintain my INR around 2.0. The On-X valve is designed to last 200 years so with this option you'd only have the one operation. Job done. The only irritant is sometimes not remembering whether you've taken your meds or not, so you have to home test the next day to see if your INR has dropped or not. But it really isn't as big a deal as people make out :eek:.

All the best

sensei Ade

Hello all,

I am meeting with my surgeon on Tuesday for aortic valve replacement. I would like to come to a decision on which type of valve.
I'm 57, and my local cardiologist is firm that mechanical is the way to go. I just hate the thought of Coumadin and blood testing for the rest of my life.

Are the diet changes and blood testing a huge impact on your lives? Should I just be glad this problem was caught in time and deal with it?

I have spent WAY too many hours on the Internet reading pros and cons....the real answer I need is first-hand experiences from people like you.

Thanks in advance:)

Carol

Hi Carol,

At my surgery was 56 and after much debate and discussion with surgeon, I chose bio valve, had a preference for Bovine, but surgeon chose porcine at time of surgery, he must have had his reasons.

An in all 30 months post surgery my porcine valve is woking very well, it may weel outive me or not....whatever.

Did experience the coumadin regime for 3 months post op, even with a bio valve, as it turns out from that period, the coumadin regime would have been manageable for me, but must admit that not worrying about INR is nice. My only medication at this time is a daily 80 mg aspirin and being vigilant in reducing sodium intake to maintain good blood pressure. Am now on a 2 year program for visit to cardiologist, in fact have not seen the cardiologist in over 20 months.

An important reminder to all with prosthetics that low level antibiotics are highly recommended for any dental cleaning or surgery.

Carol, good luck with your process.

Gil

Sounds like you're doing great, Gil.
I came home 5 days ago, and I must say (knocking on wood) that each day is an improvement over the one before. I am managing the steps in our split level, and get out for a couple slow, short walks each day. I still feel like my chest is made of eggshell and oh-so-fragile, but true pain is lessening. I feel hopeful and positive! Mentally, a huge weight has been lifted.

looks like your doing just great, dont rush things take it easy, plenty of little walks rest eat and sleep,oh and be carefull if anybody tries to give you a beefburger lol,

Your Doc is right!. Cutting back on a salad or two (only if you eat 5 a day) and 5 min for testing 1x a month is WELL worth NOT having to do the surg again. I still drink adult beverages, eat as I did before and go in to have my blood checked once in 2-3 months (I know, but it is ALWAYS in the desired range) I do EVERYTHING I did before but I do haer a TIC TIC TIC when it is really really quiet. My wife thought there was a water leak when I first came home.
Go mech. ON-X all the way!!!
Greg

Crikey! I have a 12 week old mechanical valve and didn't even know what vitamin K was until I googled it just now. My diet is barely any different. Apart from avoiding cranberry juice. I was told I'd have to eat a mountain of leafy green veg 3 times a day for it to have much affect. My INR seems OK, now its finally stabilised. My blood does seem quite runny now, but so far it seems to stop bleeding with no drama. Once in a while I can hear my valve ticking, like a watch. The other day my daughter and I were in a museum gallery and she said..'Dad, is that your valve?'. She could hear it...I couldn't.

Latest posts

Back