Mechanical vs Tissue - need help deciding

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, have discourse but only about things that everyone agrees about? I'm going to have to respectfully disagree. It's a discussion board. There will be different views presented and the different perspectives bring value to the individuals facing difficult choices.

After all, we are not communists.
How do you know we

How do you know we’re not communists? And if we WERE commies, would that make our responses any more or less relevant? And if we’re NOT commies, then maybe that would have no bearing whatsoever to the price of cheese in Ethiopia. Anyway, the Ethiopians aren’t commies either. Or are they?

You see ? So many questions, so few answers

In summation, therefore, this is a needed piece of light relief in a forum dedicated to heavy life or death matters, unfortunately. Allow the masses (including the commies) a pressure valve. Folks wouldn’t be here if they weren’t worried.. and in all 100% seriousness, I would NEVER have recovered from this crap if I didn’t have a sense of humour (spelled in the English way)!!!

The big thing to me with a mechanical valve was the noise. I was all set on a mechanical valve until I read many comments on YouTube about people having mechanical valves and the clicking noise was driving them insane especially. I couldn’t even imagine dealing with that for 30+ years. Some were considering having it removed in favor of a tissue valve. Add to that the bleeding risk and the need to take rat poison the rest of my life. No thanks.

I had my AVR at 45, tissue valve. Both my cardiologist and surgeon, while they were keep saying, "it's your decision, we're not trying to influence you", were obviously pushing for tissue valve.. The whole industry is pushing for tissue valve, "this is where the future is", they'll tell you... While the future might be there, we live in the present, I'm 53 now and I can feel that soon, few more years maybe, I would have to go again through the same ordeal... and I kind of regret the decision I made back then. Eating well, going to gym, keeping yourself in shape, sure, it's important, but this won't save you from future surgeries, especially if you are 'relatively' young. It all depends from individual to individual, of course, but as a basic rule of thumb, one younger that 55 should go with mechanical, 55 to 65, SAVR tissue and over 65, SAVR or TAVR tissue.

The big thing to me with a mechanical valve was the noise. I was all set on a mechanical valve until I read many comments on YouTube about people having mechanical valves and the clicking noise was driving them insane especially. I couldn’t even imagine dealing with that for 30+ years. Some were considering having it removed in favor of a tissue valve. Add to that the bleeding risk and the need to take rat poison the rest of my life. No thanks.

Speaking of prejudice showing.

YouTube about people having mechanical valves and the clicking noise was driving them insane especially. I couldn’t even imagine dealing with that for 30+ years. Some were considering having it removed in favor of a tissue valve. Add to that the bleeding risk and the need to take rat poison the rest of my life. No thanks.

Dude, really?

And you just lectured all of us about bringing prejudice to the discussion? Oh, but I see you were properly informed by some YouTube videos. That certainly trumps the collective experience shared on this forum, from those living with mechanical valves and taking warfarin, some for decades :)

Although I can’t say that you received accurate information from those YouTube videos about life with a mechanical valve, for what it’s worth, at age 66 I would have gone with a tissue valve like you did. And I’m glad that you’re happy with your choice.

Last edited:
How do you know we’re not communists?

I can tell from how you all look in your photos (or in your case your portrait)

People are happy here- or at worst neutral.

Communists look like this:

1638811460839.png

The big thing to me with a mechanical valve was the noise
Unusual perspective. Depends on your situation I guess.
The big thing to me was at age 46 if I chose a tissue valve, I was looking at multiple future surgeries to replace it. This was before transcatheter valve replacement so that was not an available consideration for future risk mitigation/assessment.

I was advised in advance by my surgeon that I would hear the clicking, but I did not take that into account in my decision. Also did not use You Tube as a source of info. I'm skeptical someone is so bothered by it that they would consider a replacement just because of that. Maybe they had older generations of valves, that were louder.

It's been a non-issue for me. I hear it in a quiet room and especially in a bathroom due to the reflective surfaces, but mostly don't notice it.

Just to change the present topic. . . .

I'm also debating valve selection, while hoping my surgeon and I can agree on which path is best for me. At my most recent visit, Dr. Keith Allen (St. Luke's Medical Center, Kansas City) suggested TAVR. He's done a lot of them, but I'm "only" 67 and don't have stenosis--which, I understand, is almost a requirement for this.

I'm a short, thin male, so any trans-arterial valve may not fit. A CT scan will indicate yes/no. If yes, Allen reminded me I'll need a reoperation in 10-12 years, and I'm not excited about that. As it happens, Allen has pioneered a technique called bioprosthetic valve fracture, in which the ring of an existing TAVR valve is "cracked" to allow implantation of another TAVR valve within the broken ring of the defective bioprosthetic.

I'm very unsure about taking that direction, if indeed that's what Allen recommends. (And, who knows; he may not.) Due to the above, I'm leaning toward traditional open-heart surgery and a far more reliable mechanical valve, in spite of the rigors such a procedure will entail. "One-and-done," as they say. Allen will probably try to talk me out of it, but he'll need to have a really good argument, with references.

Anyone here familiar with "valve cracking"? Should I go ahead with the TAVR and assume that ten years of R&D will make any future procedure more predictable?

. Maybe they had older generations of valves, that were louder.

It's been a non-issue for me. I hear it in a quiet room and especially in a bathroom due to the reflective surfaces, but mostly don't notice it.

My valve is one of the oldest. It is a ping pong ball floating in a metal cage. As I recall it was loud, very much like hitting a plastic ping pong ball with a wooden racket. but within months I no longer noticed the sound. Nobody notices the sound,if any, anymore.....except maybe our cat who, for some reason, won't get on my lap LOL.

I have been around a number of mechanical valvers over the years and they can't hear mine.....and I can't hear there's without concentrating. For most the noise is a non-issue after a short time altho I am sure there are those who may have a noise problem......and that is unfortunate. It is one of the tradeoffs for a "one and done" procedure.

Just to change the present topic. . . .

I'm also debating valve selection, while hoping my surgeon and I can agree on which path is best for me. At my most recent visit, Dr. Keith Allen (St. Luke's Medical Center, Kansas City) suggested TAVR. He's done a lot of them, but I'm "only" 67 and don't have stenosis--which, I understand, is almost a requirement for this.

I'm a short, thin male, so any trans-arterial valve may not fit. A CT scan will indicate yes/no. If yes, Allen reminded me I'll need a reoperation in 10-12 years, and I'm not excited about that. As it happens, Allen has pioneered a technique called bioprosthetic valve fracture, in which the ring of an existing TAVR valve is "cracked" to allow implantation of another TAVR valve within the broken ring of the defective bioprosthetic.

I'm very unsure about taking that direction, if indeed that's what Allen recommends. (And, who knows; he may not.) Due to the above, I'm leaning toward traditional open-heart surgery and a far more reliable mechanical valve, in spite of the rigors such a procedure will entail. "One-and-done," as they say. Allen will probably try to talk me out of it, but he'll need to have a really good argument, with references.

Anyone here familiar with "valve cracking"? Should I go ahead with the TAVR and assume that ten years of R&D will make any future procedure more predictable?

Hi.

You might want to take a look at this study involving BVF, bioprosthetic valve fracture, of TAVR valves.
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/30621980/

So in other words Pellicle you are a freedom hating, dope smoking, gun grabbing, baby killing, liberal leftist atheist. Am I reading you right or do I owe you an apology?

So in other words Pellicle you are a freedom hating, dope smoking, gun grabbing, baby killing, liberal leftist atheist. Am I reading you right or do I owe you an apology?
As identified by Neil (a card carrying tissue prosthetic valve supporter) some time back "why are you even here"

You bring nothing supportive and just do drive by criticism.

If I were a moderator here you'd have had the tap on the shoulder by now.

Wondering the same thing as Pellicle. Why are you even here? And others have been asking you that since 2017. I guess its for the occasional drive by attack and to tell us that you are about to go compete for some weightlifting championship.

Don't ask us in here. Talk to your doctor, get a second opinion and then come in here and tell us you had a successful surgery, you are recovering and we encourage each other.
Anything else is trolling people.

Should I have human, pig, cow or horse biological valve. My wife thinks I am an ass already so I don't want to encourage her with a horse in me. She also thinks I am a pig and I have been trying to eat halal. I am not sure of human.. there's bad DNA out there.

A man walks into a pub, orders a pint and spots a piano in the corner. He asks the landlord if he would like a bit of music....

A priest, a rabbit and a minister walk into a bar. The bartender asks the rabbit "what'll ya have"
The rabbit says "I dunno mate, I'm only here because of autocorrect".

1638831743984.png

Back