Mechanical Valve

Help Support ValveReplacement.org:

pellicle

Professional Dingbat
I sure hope to have my mechanical valve for a lifetime, but it seems everything regarding this issue is a crapshoot, which is unfortunate
thats true, but its all a matter of understanding what those odds are.
Lets look at Roulette, some bets are nearly 50:50 (like black or red) other bets are much less likely (any particular number).
With a mechanical the chances of needing it replaced if you don't have a possibility of an aneurysm (so, say you are also having it fixed at the same time) are very low. No matter what the time scale.

With a tissue prosthesis the chances of it having SVD move towards a certainty as you approach 20 years.

As you already know, outcomes with a mechanical are determined by how well you manage ACT, outcomes with tissue prosthesis are more stochastic and management is only by surgery (which included TAVI).

1637542200138.png

lastly life itself is a gamble ... play the hand and see where it goes :)

Jodie leigh

Hello Everyone! Initially I had planned on going with a tissue valve to replace my Bicuspid Aortic Valve, but now I'm seriously leaning toward the Mechanic Valve at the advice of my surgeon. He said, as an athlete and someone hoping to NEVER repeat this surgery it would be the best option. I'm leaning toward the On-X. What is the incidence of failure on a Mechanic Valve? Would you mind sharing your experience? Would you recommend a Mechanic Valve for athletes over a tissue valve?
Tbh with your age if you don’t want to have surgery again (which I’m not going to lie is absolutely traumatic) then I would go for mechanical only downfall is anticoagulation for life and the noise of the valve! Some people like it and it reassures them it’s working me however find it unbearable and my anxiety is awful!!

nobog

I've seen way too many tissue valves fail. In 1997, I got my mechanical. It's slowly failing, but I will keep it as long as possible.
How did they determine that it's "slowly failing" ? That's only 24 years - that's nothing for a mechanical valve as far as "wearing out". Maybe something else is going on that you have not been provided specifics on.

Redone

Tbh with your age if you don’t want to have surgery again (which I’m not going to lie is absolutely traumatic) then I would go for mechanical only downfall is anticoagulation for life and the noise of the valve! Some people like it and it reassures them it’s working me however find it unbearable and my anxiety is awful!!
Yes, I've done much research on this procedure. I will not allow this to take me down. It's definitely been a challenging 6 months wrapping my head around the surgery. I am a personal trainer (my work is affected), former bodybuilder, super fit, hike mountains, etc. A lot to lose regarding fitness and activities, but I will not succumb to this.....I will get my life back. You will get yours as well. Faith is the substance of those things hoped for, but not seen 🙏🏻. Prayers you have better outcome in time.

Latest posts