Mechanical Valve ticking (sound reduction devices)

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
J

Jim

This is a question for those who have a mechanical valve(s)...

Are there any devices you can use to reduce the sounds you may hear from a mechanical valve when trying to get to sleep? I came across some sophisticated (yet expensive) noise reduction headphones and earplugs from Brookstone. Has anyone every tried these to block out mechanical valve sounds?

I am curious because I will likely need a mechanical valve in the near future and I am a light sleeper. Even the slightest snoring coming from our fat cat that sleeps on the bed with us occaisonally will wake me.

Jim

Hello Jim,
Noise masking machines such as waves, bird songs, etc. can HELP to mask the sound. Some people hear the valve in their ears initially so I am not sure whether headphones would help or make it more obvious.
This is one of those times where every one is different. The sound level of the valve depends on the thickness of your chest wall and internal tissue.
You will also find the sound is something you get used to pretty quickly. You may even find it comforting. After all, a baby falls asleep listening to its mother's heartbeat. Even tho it's a "tick" rather than a "thump", it may still be a sound you that is pleasant to you.
I would invest in a basic sound machine to have on hand after surgery. There are portable ones you could even take to the hospital. I would not spend any serious money until you find out how you react to the sound.
Hope this helps.
Smiles, :)
Gina

Thanks Gina. I guess its one of those wait and see scenarios. I have a sound machine I use all the time. I may have to resort to turning up a little. If that doesn't work, listening to the History Channel or a golf tournament on TV may do the trick.

Jim ;)

My SO is in to submarine movies. I can't stand them but sit with him anyway because I like the company.
I find the "bleep" sounds the sonar makes very soothing and it always puts me to sleep.
.....just a thought.
Gina

I was very concerned about about ticking before my operation because I often have trouble falling asleep. Not full-blown insomnia, really, just trouble winding down some nights. The bad news for me is that my ticking seems to get transmitted right up my throat and it makes the ticking seem like it's coming from the back of my mouth. The good news is that it only kept my up for a night or two after I got home, and since then I guess I've learned to tune it out. I though I might have to get some kind of white noise machine, but it really has been a non-issue.

Hopefully it'll be a non-issue for you, too, but you definitely may want something to help out just in case...

Tim

Joe uses a sound machine made by Homedics. I bought it on eBay, but I'm sure you could find one or something similar, maybe at a place like Linens and Things, or Bed Bath and Beyond.

I seem to remember the cost about $15.00-$18.00.

It has several different sounds so you have choices.

Jim:

My valve seemed so noisy immediately post-op that I called St. Jude. :) I even worried that I might get kicked off my first post-op flight if someone heard the ticking on the jetway. My fears were ungrounded.
I'm 17 months post-op and seldom hear the ticking. It **is** comforting to hear a very muffled ticking, because then I know the valve is working. :D

Bionic Valve Tim:

Know what you mean about the ticking being transmitted up the throat, like a vibration. I had that for awhile. Felt like I had ticks floating out my mouth into the room when I was trying to go to sleep. Told a male friend about it a year ago and he said he wanted a demonstration. :D :D :D
Haven't noticed that in a very long time.

I can **feel** the valve ticking, but seldom hear it -- only when I'm in a tiled room, such as a bathroom. And even then, it's very faint.

ticking sound

ticking sound

Hi everybody,

My SJM mechanical used to lull me to sleep and I was surprised to learn others found it annoying. I was able to take my pulse by listening!

Now it's seldom heard and I really miss it.

So try not to worry about it keeping you awake.

Marsha said:
It **is** comforting to hear a very muffled ticking, because then I know the valve is working.

I suspect that "mind over matter" doesn't work for eveyone, but I perceive the ticking as a life sign. After years of hearing the regurgitation in my ears and feeling the enlarged heart pounding in my chest, the gentle ticking is reassuring and never a problem.

Clicking or Ticking

Clicking or Ticking

Jim,

Recently, my cardiologist told me that I will need an MVR rather than Repair in a few years. I too am very concerned about the clicking. I am sure a replacement would be life saving but at the expense of me never sleeping again. I have severe insomnia. My insomnia is to the point that we have a small clock that has a slight tick, in the room next to our bedroom in our summer weekend place. I actually have to get up and remove it to put it in a closet under cloth in order for me to be able fall asleep. :rolleyes: I happened to log on to another post here where an experienced member gave us this link to compare the clicking sounds of the valves. (sorry I don't remember the name of the post and it does not have the On-X on it but I saved the link). It seems to me that the ATS valve is the quietest of the ones listed, if that would help any. Maybe you can ask your surgeon about the ATS or a remedy he may know of for the clicking noise irritation. I think if I were a candidate for a tissue valve I would opt for the CEPM rather than the Mechanical due to this one problem. Since I am new to this subject I am not yet clear on why my moderate MVP with mild myxomatous degenerative valve disease would require a replacement rather than a repair. As a matter of a fact I am still shocked with the news that I will be needing open heart surgery after being told for 27 years that my MVP was "no big deal and would not cause a problem in my life" by my former cardiologist. Sorry, but that rant just slipped out! lol I am totally surprised that valve manufactures have not found a way to remedy the clicking for the sake of their consumers affording them their fortune, unless is it an impossible task.

http://www.carbomedics.com/patients_how_ticking.asp
CarboMedics - heart valve sound comparison

Lisa

I would think that it is not as much external, but conductive hearing that you're dealing with for valve noise. While the sound can be heard externally by others, the internal din is probably the greater part of what the patient hears.

I don't have one, but observation of postings says that people generally accommodate to the clicking much better than they expect. Indeed, as pointed out above, it becomes a comforting sound for many.

If it is a bother for you over time, I woulds suspect that Nancy and Joe likely have the most effective approach, by overriding the noise with a different, relaxing one. Feedback or noise cancellation headphones work on external sound, and block external sounds from coming in by creating an equivalent sound counterpressure. Presumably, they would have little or no effect on conductive ("bone") hearing.

Just a thought. Seems like there must be a place in the mall to try them out.

Best wishes,

I used to hear mine at night in bed, sitting in a quiet car, any quiet time. I'm used to it now and don't hear it anymore, unless I listen for it. I find myself listening for it quite a lot during the day, and I'd probably panic if I couldn't hear it.

The only reason Joe needs the sound machine is that he has two mechanical valves and they are asynchronous. The sounds reverberate on the mattress. When he had only the aortic, and even though it is a very old LOUD clunky model, he could care less, even at night. I can hear that one when I'm sitting at the kitchen table across from him, but not the newer St. Jude one.

During the day, they don't bother Joe at all.

Old clicker said:
I used to hear mine at night in bed, sitting in a quiet car, any quiet time. I'm used to it now and don't hear it anymore, unless I listen for it. I find myself listening for it quite a lot during the day, and I'd probably panic if I couldn't hear it.

If your conscience and can't hear it, it's still clicking. You might want to worry a little if your unconscious and still can't hear it! :eek: :D

As the others have said, you notice it more when you first have it done. Nine months out, I still hear it in small quiet rooms, it doesn't bother me. Before I had it done, I had the Shortness of breathe and the fast pounding heartbeat- that was much worst. If you are already worrying about the sound, maybe you should go with the tissue. Everyone is different, decide what is best for you. Once you decide, don't second guess yourself- you will drive yourself crazy.
KathyH

I'm glad to hear that this did not turn out to be a problem for the "on the other side" veterans. Thanks for all of the feedback. I feel a little more comfortable knowing it is something that you eventually get used to.

The funny thing is that the sound machine I have has a heartbeat sound. Everytime I turn it to that sound option, it freaks my wife out. She has seen too many horror movies in her day. I guess she will need to learn how to get used to it as well.

Thanks again!
Jim

The valve sounds more like an old fashioned ticking clock than the heartbeat sound on a sound machine so she probably won't be freaked out by it. When I first became involved with my SO, he lovingly :) called me "crocodile" after the croc in Peter Pan. The valve sound is not so obvious these days so I don't hear "crocodile" much anymore and I kind of miss it.
I would much rather tick than croak - if you get my drift. :D:D:D
Gina

I am a 8 days into my St. Judes mechanical valve and still find it hard to ignore I was reassured by several at the hospital that as the valve area heals it will quiet down so does it?

Aaron,
I don't know if it really "quiets" down or if you just get used to it and/or learn to ignore it. However, you will come to a point where you stop and actually try to hear it because you realize you don't notice it anymore.
Just try and be patient, it will happen.
Gina

Back