Mechanical valve scar tissue

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NewValveNY

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
Hi, had my AVR with a St. Jude mechanical valve about 11 yrs. ago. Had an echo today and Dr. told me that there is scar tissue developing along the rim of the valve which is increasing the pressure gradient. He changed my blood pressure medication to help lower the gradient. Does anyone have any history with this kind of an issue? My best to you all on this Thanksgiving Holiday!

Pellicle, thank you for your response...I have an appt. in 6 months for another echo...in the meanwhile, making some lifestyle and nutrition changes to keep my blood pressure lower. Dr. said that the tissue can be like this for years, or it can increase over time...but he showed he was concerned after glowing reports for the past 11 years.
I am in good hands since he is a wonderful cardiologist. Who knows what is in store for the future...just have to appreciate everything in life.

Hi

NewValveNY;n880360 said:
Pellicle, thank you for your response...I have an appt. in 6 months for another echo..

Excellent, best way to go with this, as er just can't predict or conjecture.

I know it's hard to have things you are uncertain about which can not ne resolved or answered easily.

...Dr. said that the tissue can be like this for years, or it can increase over time...but he showed he was concerned after glowing reports for the past 11 years.
I am in good hands since he is a wonderful cardiologist. Who knows what is in store for the future...just have to appreciate everything in life.

That's good to hear and I think you have an admirable attitude about this issue.

I wish I could offer something more concrete...But i can't.

Here is a great place to vent frustrations and anxiety, so that is always good for a short term fix

Best Wishes

Wanted to share this article: For anyone reading this thread, I was looking up pannus growth on mechanical valve and found this article. It seems that while it is not common, it does happen, and there is a solid approach to "cleaning up" the scar tissue or replacing the valve. Wishing us all good health and a positive mind!, Allan
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4631909/

Wanted to share this article: For anyone reading this thread, I was looking up pannus growth on mechanical valve and found this article. It seems that while it is not common, it does happen, and there is a solid approach to "cleaning up" the scar tissue or replacing the valve. Wishing us all good health and a positive mind!, Allan
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4631909/

NewValveNY, thank you for sharing that article. I am dealing with a similar issue. i have a 24 year old St. Judes mechanical valve. I have moderate mitral stenosis and am having congestive heart failure symptoms. I would personally love for the doctors to do some tests to see what is causing the narrowing of my valve. Is it tissue or thrombus? I would love to see them try to fix the growth issue and save the valve. However, they are planning to replace the valve with a new mechanical valve. I am thinking of finding a team that will look into these options.
Hoping for the best for everyone on this thread. Thanks again for the info.

Mom2angel, I was very straightforward with my doctor and asked him what surgery goals would be for me if i needed it. Siince i am not yet into my 60's he gave me two surgery approaches depending on my age at the time of the surgery or intervention....and it sounded like there are more modern valves these days that will help in the long term. I think that your doctors will assess and will plan the best approach for you!

NewValveNY, what is their plan of action with you? Are they planning to replace your valve in 6 months? I have not been impressed with my doctor in quite some time. I have had two TIAs (self diagnosed). I was driving during both of them and far from any hospital, so they could not assess me at the time. Plus, I didn't know what was going on, so I never sought medical attention. With all of my symptoms pointing towards a clot, they do not want to do any tests beyond the echo. They did a stress echo which showed reduced function, so they chose to do surgery. However, they have not identified anything on the valve. They figure they will find out what is causing the failure when they take it out. I'm sitting here in congestive heart failure, and 6 months since first telling them about my symptoms, they still haven't scheduled the surgery. They say I am first on the list to be scheduled. :p When you sit around every day in heart failure, only being first on the list doesn't help too much. We are planning to forget these doctors and make an appointment at the Mayo Clinic.
Not trying to sound negative. Just giving details. Everything will go as it is supposed to, and things will be great. :) Just another adventure in life.
Hope all goes well for you. Let us know how your checkup goes in 6 months.

Latest posts

Back