mechanical valve noise

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm 24 years post-op. They say that you get used to it -- eventually, you do -- until you hit a forum like this one, and listen for it again. The sound seems to soften over time (and don't we all?).

In my experience, there are a few things you should know:

Don't try to play hide and seek with a child. I tried once, stood behind a door, and from the other side of the door, my daughter said 'hi, dad.' This click will carry.

Don't buy a loud mechanical watch and NOT tell people nearby who care about you. I once bought a Mickey Mouse watch from the '40s and wore it to bed. My wife was afraid that I was having a heart attack because my heart was working so quickly.

If you're in a meeting or at an event where speakers drone on and on, and you see someone, annoyed, looking towards the source of the clicking -- enjoy it. I was at a press conference, and a jerk in the row in front of me kept looking behind him - in my direction. Of course, I made it easier for him to hear it - I opened my mouth and pointed this click trumpet in his direction, to my amusement and his annoyance. Finally, a few minutes later, he could take no more. 'Who's wearing the cheap watch?' he shouted out. "It's me,' I told him. 'It's my heart valve clicking.' This guy went from 6 feet tall to 6 inches tall in a manner of moments.

Yes, some doctors really like to listen to the valve click. I was told once by a doctor who examined me that she would like HER students to hear this, because this is how a valve should sound.

Finally, FWIW, these valves usually come with a lifetime guarantee.

My MVR was in 2002 so I've had plenty of time with the mechanical valve noise. As you'll gather from my username, yes it does click and it can occasionally be noticeable. My wife used to comment on it, but presumably she's now used to it - if it suddenly stopped clicking hopefully she may well notice that (and she was trained in CPR). I seldom notice it - unless, funnily enough, I'm wearing earplugs due to aforementioned spouse snoring or, more rarely, mice scratching in our loft. With earplugs the effect is not so much a click as a sort of pulsing - almost imperceptible if I lie on my right side, but quite noticeable if I lie on my left. Feels a bit like the water-hammer you get with mains water pipes occasionally. Strange, but it's a small price to pay for still being here...

Back