Mechanical Valve - clicking

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poyda

To my fellow mech valvers!

Just wondering how many people actually notice the valves "clicking" of your valve, i notice quite constantly, do other people hear it all the time? only every now and then?

Also, i hear in my left ear and mines in the mitral potion and was wondering if AVR people hear it differently?

I also notice mine gets a fair bit louder after intense activity (e.g sports, house work, running etc.) that happen for anyone else?

also do your friends and family notice it? some of mine do and some don't

just curios to see how many of you do and don't!

P.S i love saying the joke to people that i have a ticker that literally ticks!

I notice it considerably and in a quiet room you can hear it a few metres away,
Now days I find I can go the best part of the day without “hearing” it, although its still there.
I hear it between my ears so it kind of sounds lke the back of my throat, when I’m laying in bed I hear the throat click and the actual sound at my chest so a double tick tick and it sounds like its in a pvc pipe as it refurbarates a bit more, use to keep me awake but not now,
I can also diffentiate there are two clicks , one when it closes which is louder, and another click on opening.

It seems to me to be the loudest when I’m trying to be quiet when hunting and I’m sure every deer in the forest can hear it... :)

Warrick;n885797 said:
Now days I find I can go the best part of the day without “hearing” it.
I can also diffentiate there are two clicks , one when it closes which is louder, and another click on opening.

It seems to me to be the loudest when I’m trying to be quiet when hunting and I’m sure every deer in the forest can hear it... :)

I'm pretty much the same! I hear it but really don't take notice, catching up with people for the time post surgery was always a highlight! "What's that clicking noise? Do have a pocket watch or something"

I only really take notice when it's louder than usual after actitives or if my rhythm feels funny (have the odd arrhythmia here and there, residual issues of SVT)

If I really try, I can differentiate too.

I have a St Jude 29mm mechanical aortic valve, and much to my surprise I hardly notice it at all. I don't allow mechanical clocks in my home because I don't like them ticking away at night in particular, so I expected to be irritated by the valve. It DOES tick, but I think my mind has tuned it out, unless I focus on it. Hardly anyone else hears it, but a hospital ECG technician thought it was my pacemaker (!) and very occasionally someone standing right next to me can hear it, but only if I ask them to listen for it.

For me it has been like this since the beginning, 4 years ago, but I have read other posts here where people have grown used to it, and indeed find it somewhat reassuring.

Just wondering how many people actually notice the valves "clicking" of your valve, i notice quite constantly, do other people hear it all the time? only every now and then? My 23 yo daughter hears it in a quiet room but not in normal walking around. She only hears it when I am dressed in light clothing, a jacket and sweater blocks it out. Older people don't hear it. I am overweight so the sound has some fat to get through :)

Also, i hear in my left ear and mines in the mitral potion and was wondering if AVR people hear it differently? I hear it mostly in my left ear.

I also notice mine gets a fair bit louder after intense activity (e.g sports, house work, running etc.) that happen for anyone else? Mine is louder some times. I used to think it was due to more activity, but not any more. I haven't be able to say what makes it louder, other than less clothes.

If I didn’t hear it, then I’d panic. Got fired from my job as tooth fairy because the kids could hear my sneak in. I always lose at Hide and Seek in my house too.

Kids and ladies tend to notice clicking more so than others. can't sneak up on kids anymore. Can't really hear AVR in one ear over other, more of a tapping under sternum. Different story if i'm wearing earplugs - then the clicking is drummer hitting a cymbal...

I don't hear it because my brain tuned it out after many years. My wife used to hear it but she probably doesn't any more either. I can't say whether kids could hear it either since I don't know any quiet ones, 7 grandchildren and they're in constant motion.

If I'm in a very quiet space, elevator for instance, others can hear it plainly. At one time folks would assume it was a wind-up watch, but there's no such thing today. Everything is digital, so a tick is a true oddity to most people.

Poyda you will keep noticing this clicking till your brain gets used to the sound that it will go away, except every once in a while. Nothing to worry yourself about. It happens over time, you will stop noticing the clicking. Congrats on your bypass and keep doing what the doctors tell you. And as always, you are welcome to ask questions or give sounds advice. You are most welcome here. Hugs for today. :)

Hi all,
First, a quick intro. I've been a member of the forum for a few months but haven't posted.
I'm in Aurora Ontario (north of Toronto), 56 and was born with a defective mitral valve that was discovered many years ago. I had a St. Jude mech. mitral valve put in Jan. 29 this year and so far things have gone very well. I'm a professional musician and I'm glad to say that I'm back to drumming with as much energy as ever. Walking and riding (bad knees-no running) for miles and back to lifting weights. Other than the steady diet of warfarin and INR checks, there isn't much of a difference to life before the surgery.

I've read many posts and followed threads here. I'm very impressed with the wealth of first hand knowledge and support here; kicks butt over my GP. This site has become a go to for me over the last while. Thanks to all of you.

As far as clicking goes, at first it drove me nuts. When I spoke to my cardiologist about it, he pointed out that the alternative of no clicking is not a desirable one. Good point there.
I've become used to it and don't notice it as much now. When I do hear it, usually in bed at night, it's weirdly like counting sheep - puts me right out.
All the best,
Thomas

Thomas;n886004 said:
First, a quick intro. I've been a member of the forum for a few months but haven't posted.

Welcome :)

As far as clicking goes, at first it drove me nuts. When I spoke to my cardiologist about it, he pointed out that the alternative of no clicking is not a desirable one. Good point there.

I'm glad that simple psychology helped :)

As your a drummer it could be like a stick click in pre song start :)

Reminds me of a song by simple minds I like.

So my buddy can’t hear his nor can I, but I can faintly hear mine when there is not enough noise floor or distractions. Fortunately it has not bothered me yet. I was a bit shocked as I head the ON-X was quieter.

Mines not to noticeable in the day on a noisey building site 😊but at night when trying to get to sleep it is very audible.

Some days mine is more noticeable to me than other days and sometimes I notice it at night when I am trying to drift off to sleep and sometimes not at all. Right now I don't hear any sound other days I can hear it.

I can hear mine all the time and sometimes it really gets on my nerves!! My 21 year old daughter also tells me to “stop clicking!!” when she’s feeling particularly agitated. I tell her that if I stop clicking I’ll be dead!! 😂

It may be that the type of Mech valve is the main factor on whether you or others hear it. Mine is a Medtronic Open Pivot and from what I have read they are quieter but I have no experience with any other type but I did have one doctor tell me he could not hear my valve in the context that normally he could hear them

I can hear mine, and I can also feel it. Feels like there’s a hammer in my chest thudding on my sternum. Real awesome.

I can hear mine all the time. It's also interesting because most kids can hear them from across a room but adults don't usually.

I can hear mine, and I can also feel it. Feels like there’s a hammer in my chest thudding on my sternum. Real awesome.
I get a real thudding to when I breathe in , also if I sleep on my right side in thuds but not on my left 🤔

Latest posts

Back